Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 368098 times)

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1620 on: May 06, 2024, 04:36:15 PM »
if it's not just another outlet for the content of the Pluto TV (et al) feeds, i hope it's one of the syndicated shows (though given the music, i'd bank more on Dennis James or Tom Kennedy vs Doug Davidson)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1621 on: May 06, 2024, 05:45:02 PM »
if it's not just another outlet for the content of the Pluto TV (et al) feeds, i hope it's one of the syndicated shows (though given the music, i'd bank more on Dennis James or Tom Kennedy vs Doug Davidson)
And I'd guess Kennedy before James, because of the fur situation.

Offline illustriousrocket

• Outside in Line
« Reply #1622 on: May 06, 2024, 07:38:25 PM »
Kennedy's has been a top wishlist item for me for a very long time. It would be fantastic if it somehow happened.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #1623 on: May 06, 2024, 08:41:20 PM »
And I'd guess Kennedy before James, because of the fur situation.

you'd be right on that, especially when there was a game that was "pick the fur with $XXXX price" (something that was in Wink's Vault in the early years)

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1624 on: May 07, 2024, 03:44:18 AM »
These days I generally prefer riding out the suspense with a wait-and-see approach.

I WILL note something very specific regarding to the fur ban: Game Show Network, by the admission of staffers at the time, took a very heavy hand with the application of the fur et. al bans.  (Several shows managed to slip through content screening the first time through, but almost none of them reran again on the 2nd loop of the half hour shows, or on WinTV for the hourlong). It's the reason they only ran 70 Cullen episodes despite the vast majority of the nighttime run existing, for example, because they were applying the ban to ALL of Price.

That last part's the important part - Fremantle has already dipped their toes in the water on applying it less stringently, having now aired most all of the surviving nighttime shows from 1959-61 regardless of furs (except for the occasional damaged episode, show w content issues, etc).

I could EASILY see (especially now that, to be direct, Bob is dead) applying the rule to say "No furs in shows that Bob is in", at which point they suddenly have 195 Dennis James nighttime shows they can run. (Plus whichever Bob shows don't have furs). I would absolutely not rule out the Dennis James shows just because GSN didn't air them. Especially with Bob gone. Or maybe Kennedy. Hell, maybe it'll be Bob shows. Could be the shows from Pluto being repurposed. Could be other episodes.

Anything I say is just an uneducated guess - with the sole exception that I do know that GSN not airing Dennis' version was a GSN choice and not an outside mandate to give anything titled The Price is Right featuring furs a wide berth (and it affecting like 3/4 of the nighttime eps), that it had nothing to do with the PM version "looking like Bob's", and that we now have proof that Buzzr's been willing to narrow the scope of that (after originally following it).

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #1625 on: May 13, 2024, 08:45:02 AM »
update on the tease via an unlisted (as of post time) video:  it is is in fact, Barker Price coming back to TV

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1626 on: May 13, 2024, 09:02:35 AM »
Also, new S14 episodes drop on the Barker Era channel (2 eps a day, 2pm to 4pm). 48 episodes total.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #1627 on: May 13, 2024, 09:53:38 AM »
would that take it to past Johnny's death and into the first era of announcer tryouts that eventually got us Rod Roddy?

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1628 on: May 13, 2024, 10:15:11 AM »
The last batch took us up to the last new episode right before Johnny's death. Assuming no episodes are skipped, the new batch will cover his last few shows, most of Gene Wood's tenure, Rod's audition and then finish right at the beginning of Rich Jeffries' tryout in January.

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1629 on: May 13, 2024, 12:13:17 PM »
I'm not a big fan in terms of the time of day, but it's great to see new stuff returning again.  Especially given how close we are toward determining when significant changes took place (probably summer 1985 tape break moves).

That includes but isn't limited to Danger Price, Safe Crackers, Card Game, Grocery Game, and Contestants Row.  Plus, I think the eye spy graphic used during one bid and the Cliff Hangers contestant window are updated around this time, but those might be later on.  The Golden Road update should be later on, and the change in Lucky Seven is definitely later on.  Might take a session or two to get to that one
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Coreyprkr2023

• Outside in Line
« Reply #1630 on: May 13, 2024, 04:10:11 PM »
And the plinko glittery sign

Offline C8

« Reply #1631 on: May 13, 2024, 04:43:37 PM »
The last batch took us up to the last new episode right before Johnny's death. Assuming no episodes are skipped, the new batch will cover his last few shows, most of Gene Wood's tenure, Rod's audition and then finish right at the beginning of Rich Jeffries' tryout in January.

Rod’s first audition episode had Bump if I am recalling correctly…and maybe his first permanent show? I know there was a milestone ep, either Johnny’s last or Rod’s first permanent, that also had Bump.

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1632 on: May 13, 2024, 05:01:50 PM »
Rod’s first audition episode had Bump if I am recalling correctly…and maybe his first permanent show? I know there was a milestone ep, either Johnny’s last or Rod’s first permanent, that also had Bump.

I think we have a long way to go to get to the milestone episodes.  As mentioned, in terms of the announcers, Rod's first appearance did include Bump, but his first show full time excluded it
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline asp320

• Outside in Line
« Reply #1633 on: May 14, 2024, 03:15:53 PM »

Yes, Johnny's last aired episode (#5894D, aired 11/21/85) has Bump in the lineup.