Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 259244 times)

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #375 on: December 15, 2020, 08:24:00 PM »
I would be shocked if a contestant who was called to CR but later found to be ineligible received any prizes, whether an IUFB, prizes won in a game, consolation prizes (or now $300), etc. There's no reason for the show to "reward" an ineligible contestant like that.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 08:29:30 PM by LiteBulb88 »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #376 on: December 15, 2020, 08:27:37 PM »
Have there been many times where a contestant who DIDN'T get on stage to play a game got announced to be ineligible to this end? I'd bet it may have happened at least once.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #377 on: December 15, 2020, 09:03:49 PM »
He's meaning if they made it to CR and were found to be ineligible.

Just for the record, the poster in question here is female.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #378 on: December 15, 2020, 09:09:13 PM »
Here's one I've been wondering since a recent clip I saw.  Up until Bob's final couple of seasons, whenever a trip was offered as a One Bid, the price would be revealed with Bob saying, "the actual price..." with retail deliberately omitted.  Why was retail specifically excluded here?
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #379 on: December 15, 2020, 10:00:31 PM »
I'M Curious, does anyone know if someone who isn't eligible to be a contestant and doesn't appear on stage still receives consolation prizes?

Why would they? If they weren't eligible, they likely wouldn't get called down to Contestant's Row to begin with (and certainly wouldn't now, with the "no audience" setup they've got these days).

Besides "have they been on the show before", I don't think they do some thorough background check on potential contestants before they get called --people do slip through the cracks thinking they're eligible.

I've asked pages, OCA personnel, and CBS guest services questions about eligibility in the past. It had been under six months since I had done some work for an employer that would have rendered me ineligible. The response I got was basically "shrug, I guess if you get called on down we'll find out."

No, I'm asking you now because I don't want to be called on down if I'm ineligible. I most certainly don't want to be surprised after the fact!
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #380 on: December 15, 2020, 10:04:02 PM »
Why would they? If they weren't eligible, they likely wouldn't get called down to Contestant's Row to begin with (and certainly wouldn't now, with the "no audience" setup they've got these days).

Besides "have they been on the show before", I don't think they do some thorough background check on potential contestants before they get called --people do slip through the cracks thinking they're eligible.

I've asked pages, OCA personnel, and CBS guest services questions about eligibility in the past. It had been under six months since I had done some work for an employer that would have rendered me ineligible. The response I got was basically "shrug, I guess if you get called on down we'll find out."

No, I'm asking you now because I don't want to be called on down if I'm ineligible. I most certainly don't want to be surprised after the fact!

Wow that's pretty unprofessional as a response. How long ago was this?

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #381 on: December 15, 2020, 10:35:11 PM »
Last August. I had done some freelance work for a CBS entity in January but didn't get paid until February, which put me inside the six-month window.

It wasn't word-for-word what they said, but the gist of it did include "if you have questions about edge cases or your specific situation, we can work them out after the fact if you do get called."

I'm guessing if I had kept bugging them about it I would have been able to find somebody that would have been able to say "yes you are eligible" or "no you are not eligible" to my particular situation but I didn't press things that far.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #382 on: December 16, 2020, 12:42:22 AM »
Here's one I've been wondering since a recent clip I saw.  Up until Bob's final couple of seasons, whenever a trip was offered as a One Bid, the price would be revealed with Bob saying, "the actual price..." with retail deliberately omitted.  Why was retail specifically excluded here?

Well because trips are not retail merchandise. He's correct to omit the word.

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #383 on: December 16, 2020, 02:45:10 PM »
I looked through the FAQ, but didn't find anything definitive. I know Janice, Dian, Ray Combs, a local CBS news anchor, and a pro golfer have done the inspiration putt in Hole in One besides Bob. Has any other model or guest done the inspiration putt? I feel like some others have, specifically other models.
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #384 on: December 16, 2020, 04:34:12 PM »
I looked through the FAQ, but didn't find anything definitive. I know Janice, Dian, Ray Combs, a local CBS news anchor, and a pro golfer have done the inspiration putt in Hole in One besides Bob. Has any other model or guest done the inspiration putt? I feel like some others have, specifically other models.

Betty White comes to mind in term of the Barker Era.  I probably have to do a search for if it happened with a certain celebrity and/or how many times in the Carey Era
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #385 on: December 16, 2020, 05:51:53 PM »
I have a vivid recollection of an episode within Bob's final couple of seasons where the tip of the Big Wheel arrow was white instead of red. Does anyone else remember this and know why that was the case? It was never acknowledged, but I always assumed the red tip broke and they had to put something else there on short notice.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #386 on: December 17, 2020, 02:56:24 PM »
Not sure this is a simple question per se, but watching an episode from 1978 on YouTube just now that had featured a $5 Double Showcase win (and a haul of close to $19,000 too, a big total for then speaking to what was brought up in the Pluto thread about large wins in 1982, which included a Car and $1,000 on the Wheel + both Showcases, so basically the most you could possibly win on any one show at the time, sans $100 for a Perfect Bid), Bob mentioned beforehand that there was a DSW win on the taping previous to this too. How often has it happened where there's been back to back DSW's like this? Has to be pretty rare. (the airdates for these two if anyone cares for FAQ purposes, woulda been March 27th and March 28th).

Also as an aside....apologies if this has been asked before, but back when they didn't take a break between the Showcases and the Showcase results as they didn't here, was there any rhyme or reason as to which bid Bob read first? Would he have gotten some sort of signal to start with one or the other? Or was it entirely done on the fly by Bob's call strictly?

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #387 on: January 02, 2021, 10:15:41 PM »
Has anyone in Card Game ever made an Ace a value that wasn't a multiple of 100?

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #388 on: January 03, 2021, 01:17:33 AM »
Absolutely - the last time was this great win on June 25, 2019.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Counterpoint

• In the Audience
« Reply #389 on: January 07, 2021, 07:57:23 AM »
Is there a resource where I can find ALL the wheel spin results in one place?  I'm trying to find the total number of (extremely unlucky!) people who have gone over by spinning .05 on their first spin and $1.00 on their second.