Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 259082 times)

Offline Tpirfan1995mr

• Outside in Line
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #405 on: January 09, 2021, 08:40:11 PM »
What happened to the original cliffhangers mountain climber

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #406 on: January 12, 2021, 12:07:28 PM »
^ He fell off the mountain too many times and died.  :pint: :hammer:
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #407 on: January 14, 2021, 12:39:03 AM »
^ He fell off the mountain too many times and died.  :pint: :hammer:

Footage of the fatal climb attempt exists...

https://youtu.be/BwURD8IHuwk
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline actpir

• Outside in Line
« Reply #408 on: January 14, 2021, 07:54:12 PM »
Here is a question that I have. My apologies if this has been asked already.

At a TPIR taping (pre-covid), when the contestant coordinators have chosen their nine contestants for the taping (assuming they don't change their minds at the last minute), is there a specific way as to how they determine the order in which the group of nine will be called (first four called, fifth called, sixth called, etc.)?

- actpir 
First, Wheel of Fortune (Season 37, 08/03/2020) - Now, will I get the chance to "Come on Down"?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #409 on: January 14, 2021, 07:58:46 PM »
Here is a question that I have. My apologies if this has been asked already.

At a TPIR taping (pre-covid), when the contestant coordinators have chosen their nine contestants for the taping (assuming they don't change their minds at the last minute), is there a specific way as to how they determine the order in which the group of nine will be called (first four called, fifth called, sixth called, etc.)?

- actpir

I could be wrong, but I feel I've heard somewhere before the first four at least are determined pretty quickly after interviews (remember they were put on cue cards due to the noise in studio at the open, it was quieter for other 5), while the others are treated a little more randomly, but this is just me talking I might be wrong on this.

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #410 on: January 14, 2021, 09:52:36 PM »
I believe Roger once said the contestants that were thought to be the most likely to interact well with Bon were placed 5th - this way, Bob could interact with them after their come on down.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #411 on: January 15, 2021, 02:48:51 AM »
I believe Roger once said the contestants that were thought to be the most likely to interact well with Bon were placed 5th - this way, Bob could interact with them after their come on down.

Whose Bon?  :lol:

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #412 on: January 15, 2021, 03:09:18 AM »
Maybe it's just a typo of "Bob"...

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #413 on: January 15, 2021, 03:31:26 AM »
Maybe it's just a typo of "Bob"...

I know lol, just felt like being a wise guy is all.

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #414 on: January 16, 2021, 09:39:18 PM »
Has anyone ever won the maximum amount they could based on the number of Plinko chips they won?

Basically, has anyone ever bombed the pricing and hit the center slot with the freebie or earned 1 chip and hit the center twice?

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #415 on: January 16, 2021, 10:00:56 PM »
Closest I can think of off the top of my head was from 1993: $6,000 was won with two Plinko chips but I'd have to actually dig through almost 40yrs of recaps to find something closer.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #416 on: January 16, 2021, 10:43:07 PM »
A quick search for all the playings of Plinko with only one chip won reveals the last time someone won only one chip, it hit the center.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #417 on: January 19, 2021, 01:08:56 PM »
What counts as a win for Super Ball? Did they have to win all three prizes or was just the prize for Ball 3 enough to count it as a win, since it was the highest value and sometimes a car?

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #418 on: January 19, 2021, 02:03:55 PM »
I don’t know that prize 3 necessarily was always the highest valued prize. It definitely was if it was a car. But especially for the first few years, I’d say the three prizes were roughly equal. It should only count as a win of all three prizes were won.
(In later years, prizes 1 and sometimes 2 were downgraded to around IUFB-level or Switch-level prizes.)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #419 on: January 19, 2021, 02:35:32 PM »
Going by the official definition of wins the show uses, I would think that all three prizes needed to be won to be considered a win.