Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 259191 times)

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #600 on: January 03, 2023, 02:04:39 AM »
Sorry if this has been answered here before.

Seeing Rod dressed so sedately and formally on the the ep with him that aired on Pluto last night made me wonder: when did he start wearing the loud colored jackets that became his signature?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #601 on: January 05, 2023, 08:06:58 PM »
According to the FAQ, it looks like those started in the spring of 1987 (Season 15).  It was only occasional & not permanent
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #602 on: April 15, 2023, 02:39:15 AM »
Were the million-dollar prizes awarded in the 2008 MDSes lump sums or annuities?

Speaking of the Million Dollar Spectacular, 1/2 Off was one of the million-dollar games. If the contestant won the $25,000, he could risk it to guess which of the 15 remaining boxes contained the $1 million check. My question is, why 15 instead of 16? Drew Carey didn’t really give a substantive explanation on the show as to why.

My guess is that the show didn’t have a second physical copy of Box #12 (the box that contained the $25,000), which is why the million-dollar segment involved only 15 boxes.

EDIT: I think I made an oopsie bumping this thread.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #603 on: April 15, 2023, 04:33:49 AM »
Not at all, it's designed to be bumped.

Were the million-dollar prizes awarded in the 2008 MDSes lump sums or annuities?

Lump sum. I think the source on that was Adam Rose himself.

Speaking of the Million Dollar Spectacular, 1/2 Off was one of the million-dollar games. If the contestant won the $25,000, he could risk it to guess which of the 15 remaining boxes contained the $1 million check. My question is, why 15 instead of 16? Drew Carey didn’t really give a substantive explanation on the show as to why.

My guess is that the show didn’t have a second physical copy of Box #12 (the box that contained the $25,000), which is why the million-dollar segment involved only 15 boxes.

I think you've answered your own question. In order to prevent the $1M check from being revealed during regular gameplay, they had to close the doors and hide the check while the $25K reveal was happening, so they only had 15 boxes to work with.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #604 on: April 15, 2023, 03:12:21 PM »
Speaking of the Million Dollar Spectacular, 1/2 Off was one of the million-dollar games. If the contestant won the $25,000, he could risk it to guess which of the 15 remaining boxes contained the $1 million check. My question is, why 15 instead of 16?

Because we already knew what was in the 16th box.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline GasMoney09721007

• Outside in Line
« Reply #605 on: April 20, 2023, 12:36:55 AM »
Apologies if this is a dumb question, I've searched the forum and Google and found nothing. Do we have any earthly idea why 5811D never aired? Any prevailing theories?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #606 on: April 20, 2023, 01:24:52 AM »
Apologies if this is a dumb question, I've searched the forum and Google and found nothing. Do we have any earthly idea why 5811D never aired? Any prevailing theories?

Nope.  It's the only one we have no explanation for.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #607 on: April 30, 2023, 02:08:55 AM »
I suppose that this question could be applied to literally any game show to ever air since the 1950s, but is there a physical rule book for all of the games on The Price Is Right by which TPTB/Standards & Practices are governed?

Offline SecretChip

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 3/26/24 C.N.A.O.S Member
« Reply #608 on: May 06, 2023, 06:18:29 AM »
Are the $1 bills in Lucky Seven real or props?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #609 on: May 06, 2023, 10:32:48 PM »
This might be a weird question, but here goes... on the older Showcase podiums (as in, up until they switched to using computer graphics), how would they insert the descriptive nameplates into the podiums? I've never been able to spot a visible seam or slot where they'd slide the card into, so curious.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #610 on: May 07, 2023, 02:27:46 AM »
Are the $1 bills in Lucky Seven real or props?

Real (at least, they were always real during the time I was there and the years before). During one taping, Roger realized that he didn't have seven one-dollar bills, so he went around asking if anybody had dollar bills he could use for the game. I had two dollars in my wallet that I gave him. Come to think of it, I never got those dollars back...

This might be a weird question, but here goes... on the older Showcase podiums (as in, up until they switched to using computer graphics), how would they insert the descriptive nameplates into the podiums? I've never been able to spot a visible seam or slot where they'd slide the card into, so curious.

When the space for the showcase description was at the top, the slot was along the top of the podium. The cameras usually didn't rise high enough that you could see the tops of the podiums with the slots visible.

When the eggcrate display moved to the top, then the slot was moved to the upstage side of the podium. You couldn't see the slot because the cameras never shot the podiums from the other angle.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline matt mahler

• Outside in Line
« Reply #611 on: May 08, 2023, 10:30:33 AM »
Do they have a recap on 1-5-79 on here? Just curious, because i wanted to see if someone had a perfect show with punch a bunch that they would past 35,000?

Offline matt mahler

• Outside in Line
« Reply #612 on: May 08, 2023, 10:32:42 AM »
Also, just one more question. Did Monty Hall ever appear? Usually host promoted their shows on Price is right, and I was wondering if he ever promoted the all new beat the clock on there?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #613 on: May 08, 2023, 07:28:04 PM »
because i wanted to see if someone had a perfect show with punch a bunch that they would past 35,000?

...huh? :confused:

Online mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Recaps can feel like a behemoth task.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #614 on: May 08, 2023, 08:12:37 PM »
I actually did a quick run-through about a week ago, and I could not find 1-5-79 in the Barker Era recap section.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes. (Taking a breather as of April 25, 2024.)

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.