Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 259313 times)

Offline jimmyuTPIR

• In the Audience
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #645 on: July 25, 2023, 05:08:46 PM »
Season 51 still has two unaired episodes. Is it common for those episodes never to air or will they eventually air?

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #646 on: July 25, 2023, 07:34:19 PM »
They'll eventually air. Probably near the end of the summer.

The actual retail price is...

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #647 on: July 25, 2023, 10:20:19 PM »
Season 51 still has two unaired episodes. Is it common for those episodes never to air or will they eventually air?

There's a few shows that have been pulled because of especially large screw-ups, but they've always been replaced with new episodes that were done solely to replace them in the air schedule.  The only show that's ever been skipped entirely is a half-hour episode from early in Season 7 -- because the other program that occasionally interfered with Price's timeslot stopped doing so, they basically ended up not needing it.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline bonkers77

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #648 on: August 13, 2023, 02:55:26 AM »
When was debut the freeze frame moment after the contestant win the Prize Game?

Offline gsn93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #649 on: August 13, 2023, 05:04:21 AM »
When was debut the freeze frame moment after the contestant win the Prize Game?

It debut shortly after 5661D in March-April 1985. I don't recall the exact episode off hand. Seems like master control over in Television City was upgraded around this time with the ability to do digital effects (transitional wipes, the flipping opening titles, and still store freeze frame, etc).
Total HYO Winnings: $101,775(as of 5/10/10)

Offline DYC

« Reply #650 on: August 13, 2023, 03:54:58 PM »
I’m sure the Plinko Sign was manually operated, but was there a stagehand *inside* of the prop every time? I recall the pictures of it when it was up for auction, and there was one angle with a big hole in the side and I could never figure out what that was

Apologies I don’t know how to imbed photos but here’s the thread I’m referring to (3rd picture)

https://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,34116.0.html

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #651 on: August 13, 2023, 04:20:41 PM »
What you're looking at is the lever a stagehand would pull to flip the slats in the sign from the name side to the prize-amount side.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Online alansh42

• In the Audience
« Reply #652 on: August 14, 2023, 03:16:58 PM »
Four questions:

Second, I also seem to recall it being said years ago that the CBS affiliate in St. Louis, MO, KMOV, was airing a day behind the rest of the network, something that I recall reading was going on for years until they eventually caught up and starting airing the same day's episode as everyone else.  Does anyone know more about this and how long it lasted, and why this was even a thing?  In the years before Innertube, did we have nobody around here who could have easily helped us out for pre-emptions if they were airing a day behind?
I wonder if they were airing it in a time slot before the network feed went out. If they did, they would have to tape it and show it the next day.

Here in the mountain time zone we always had weirdness with the network schedules because everything was taped delayed an hour. Live events would mean they didn't get the tape for later, so the later show would be preempted too.

I have no idea how it works now. There may not even be a "feed" for non-live programming. Maybe the affiliates just download TPiR from CBS as a video file.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #653 on: August 14, 2023, 07:06:47 PM »
Here in the mountain time zone we always had weirdness with the network schedules because everything was taped delayed an hour. Live events would mean they didn't get the tape for later, so the later show would be preempted too.

I have no idea how it works now. There may not even be a "feed" for non-live programming. Maybe the affiliates just download TPiR from CBS as a video file.

As far as I know, CBS generally sends out one feed for the East Coast (Eastern and Central) and another for the West Coast (Pacific).  Mountain stations generally record the East Coast feed and play it back on an hour delay, but if there's a pre-emption during it, the network will send out an extra feed for them.  The daily feeds also include Let's Make a Deal* twice -- once before The Price Is Right, and again after The Talk.

*God, I still default to invoking Guiding Light for this explanation.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline bonkers77

« Reply #654 on: August 15, 2023, 03:19:47 AM »
It debut shortly after 5661D in March-April 1985. I don't recall the exact episode off hand. Seems like master control over in Television City was upgraded around this time with the ability to do digital effects (transitional wipes, the flipping opening titles, and still store freeze frame, etc).

Thanks! There is something note on the FAQ? I don't find nothing...

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #655 on: August 15, 2023, 07:16:32 AM »
^

The debut of the "freeze frame" shot commonly used heading into a commercial break was for a playing of On The Nose on April 26, 1985 (5705D). Two other game shows (Wheel of Fortune and $ale of the Century) also introduced some upgraded digital effects in the  early months of 1985. Super Password was the first Mark Goodson show to introduce these early digital graphics, most notably on the Passwords themselves, the Super Password round graphics/timer, and the MGP logo.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #656 on: August 16, 2023, 03:55:09 PM »
As far as I know, CBS generally sends out one feed for the East Coast (Eastern and Central) and another for the West Coast (Pacific).  Mountain stations generally record the East Coast feed and play it back on an hour delay, but if there's a pre-emption during it, the network will send out an extra feed for them.

This is correct. The one odd quirk is that the West Coast feed schedule for most network shows has them start at the same local time in the Eastern and Pacific Time Zones. But the East Coast feed for Price is at 11am ET, while the West Coast feed is 10am PT. I don't know why it airs at 11:00 in New York and 10:00 in LA, but it's been that way as long as I can remember.

Offline bonkers77

« Reply #657 on: August 17, 2023, 02:01:49 AM »
^

The debut of the "freeze frame" shot commonly used heading into a commercial break was for a playing of On The Nose on April 26, 1985 (5705D). Two other game shows (Wheel of Fortune and $ale of the Century) also introduced some upgraded digital effects in the  early months of 1985. Super Password was the first Mark Goodson show to introduce these early digital graphics, most notably on the Passwords themselves, the Super Password round graphics/timer, and the MGP logo.

Thanks! Do you know the date of last time?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #658 on: August 17, 2023, 11:45:46 PM »
IIRC, I think those were all but eliminated by the early part of the millennium.  They may have been done away with around Season 30; I really only recall those used during decent moments following a playing of Plinko
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #659 on: August 18, 2023, 02:47:02 AM »
IIRC, I think those were all but eliminated by the early part of the millennium.  They may have been done away with around Season 30; I really only recall those used during decent moments following a playing of Plinko
The last instance of the freeze frames leading into commercial that I’m aware of was on the season 42 Valentine's Day episode, after Secret "X," as evidenced here (about 3:36):
There was a thread about the still reaction shots a few years ago. There’s some interesting info in this thread including a taping where Roger promised the audience that he’d bring the still shots back, and he followed through. Link: https://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,29709.0.html