Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 259273 times)

Offline Counterpoint

• In the Audience
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #660 on: August 26, 2023, 09:28:34 AM »
Is there a person on stage behind the scale who manually runs the Balance Game?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #661 on: August 26, 2023, 01:58:39 PM »
Is there a person on stage behind the scale who manually runs the Balance Game?

Yes.  I'm not sure exactly how they run it, but the game definitely doesn't behave like an actual scale.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #662 on: August 26, 2023, 03:34:09 PM »
There are a couple of pictures in the gallery that demonstrate how it works. Here's the back of the game in its "balanced" position. When the handle is pivoted, the horizontal beam tilts in one direction or the other. The challenge for the stagehand is to pivot the handle back and forth quickly enough to be somewhat realistic and exciting, but not so quickly that the "pans" swing too far and smack into the vertical pillar in the center.

I don't remember whether I've mentioned this before: in the first picture, see that empty rectangle above the handle? The one that looks like it could fit a four-digit display? When the game was built, that's where the price readout was. Then they discovered that when the scale was unbalanced, the beam either partially blocked or was too close to the display, so the display was moved to one of the tables.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #663 on: August 30, 2023, 09:57:34 PM »
I haven't been able to watch the show on TV for a while, only catching it on Paramount+. Curious how, when they air the episodes in prime time (such as the farewell to studio 33 show) then air it again in daytime, do they deal with the different commercial format of daytime vs. prime time?
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #664 on: August 30, 2023, 10:25:31 PM »
When the daytime farewell to Studio 33 episode aired in primetime a while ago it was the regular episode and the commercial breaks were padded to fill the extra time. I don't think we've seen them take a primetime show and air it in the daytime slot. I imagine since it's a "special" they just won't adjust it and eat the however extra minutes of commercials if possible.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• 4/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • First person to ever see $2.75 in Pocket
« Reply #665 on: September 04, 2023, 03:36:35 PM »
How were the set alterations (i.e. the Turntable and Doors) handled for MDSs? That seems to me like a lot of painting to do and undo. Did they replace the panels?
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did
Oops, that isn't true anymore

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #666 on: September 04, 2023, 04:33:16 PM »
How were the set alterations (i.e. the Turntable and Doors) handled for MDSs? That seems to me like a lot of painting to do and undo. Did they replace the panels?

I think that's what happened with the Big Doors.  I know it's what they did for the Turntable.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #667 on: September 04, 2023, 09:25:32 PM »
The National Archives of Game Show History holds the purple Barker MDS door panels in storage. They were replacement panels that could be swapped out at will.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline gsn93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #668 on: September 05, 2023, 05:38:52 AM »
It appears that the actual door panels were different from the normal daytime set. I noticed with the Million Dollar Spectacular doors that the casters at the bottom were missing on some of the panels. It creates a gap between the panel and the floor. It's noticeable here with doors one and two. It's like that on every one of the Barker MDS. The daytime door panels didn't have that problem.

The designs were a cover that attached to the panels. The season 35 doors that popped up for auction a few months back confirms that. So they didn't need to repaint them over and over again. They would only had to replace the individual panels when they had a different theme show to include the banner graphic.
Total HYO Winnings: $101,775(as of 5/10/10)

Offline iluvpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #669 on: September 05, 2023, 10:54:21 AM »
It makes me wonder; what design is under the 35 years covers on the panels that were auctioned off? Could it be the starburst design from 31-34?

Offline bonkers77

« Reply #670 on: September 19, 2023, 05:41:11 AM »
All Episode in Prime Time of Season 51 was aired at 8pm?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #671 on: September 19, 2023, 09:34:52 PM »
The 50th anniversary special aired at 9pm, otherwise yes I believe all the At Night episodes in season 51 aired at 8.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #672 on: September 19, 2023, 10:24:19 PM »
The 50th anniversary special aired at 9pm

Forgive me if I'm forgetting something, but wasn't that in Season 50?

Offline bonkers77

« Reply #673 on: September 20, 2023, 04:14:01 AM »
The 50th anniversary special aired at 9pm, otherwise yes I believe all the At Night episodes in season 51 aired at 8.

Thank you! In my archive I wrote 8.PM for 50th Special. I Correct it.

Offline penny_ante

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Old Penny board c 1982
« Reply #674 on: September 21, 2023, 01:28:57 PM »
Sorry in advance if this is the wrong place for the question or if it's already been answered.

When do the streaming versions of the show appear online?

I'm not getting good reception on my antenna, so I'm missing over the air broadcasts. Until I fix that, I've been expecting to see streaming versions of the show on Paramount+ and/or CBS.com on the evenings of the days they've aired, but no dice. What's the usual cycle?
Penny Ante
1979-2002
RIP, Old Friend