Author Topic: Apr 6 "Extra" - Story on TPIR New Host  (Read 11859 times)

Offline tshaffer03

• In Contestant's Row
Apr 6 "Extra" - Story on TPIR New Host
« on: April 07, 2007, 11:46:05 PM »
On Friday's edition of "Extra", there was about a 2 minute story on who is going to be Bob's replacement. They interviewed Bob and showed some clips. Extra reported the short list included George Hamilton, John O'Hurley, and Mario Lopez. They empahsized Mario since he is a correspondent on Extra. He just grinned when asked if he was going to be the next host.

See http://extratv.warnerbros.com/ for the story. It's posted there now...not sure how long it will be there.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
Re: Apr 6 "Extra" - Story on TPIR New Host
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 11:54:37 PM »
If Mario Lopez gets to host TPiR next season, I'm gonna go ballistic.  GRRRR...  :-x  Personally, my vote is for either Todd Newton or John O'Hurley.
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Online FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 11:58:48 PM »
Add another GRRR from me, Bully!  The show will go to heck in a handbasket if Mario is chosen, by now all of you know who my picks are!
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 12:04:33 AM »
Based on what I saw on the clip, I also hope Mario gets voted off the island, gets fired, is the last to reach the pit stop... you get the idea.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 12:48:51 AM »
Mario Lopez doesn't have the right stuff.

You should read comments that go along with this video.  One of the people think that Dave Price should get the job. BOOOO!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 01:58:03 AM »
You know, I honestly don't think Dave Price is a realistic candidate at this point.  Think about it -- we haven't heard a thing about him since back in December, and they've auditioned seven other people since then.  He can't be that high on their list of prospects.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 10:27:58 AM »
Extra is just another cheesy gossip mill.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline canada

• In the Audience
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 10:29:23 AM »
Mario Lopez?!?!?!?  If thats the case they might as well take the show off the air right now.  I find John O'Hurley too cheesy (all I can picture is J. Peterman) so since Rich is out as a contender, I've gotta put my money on George Hamilton just for the fact that he isn't obnoxious!

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 11:12:25 AM »
Yeah, can it at the end of the season if Mario is chosen. And I guarantee you I won't be a loyal friend and true if he gets it. Anotherwards, I won't set my DVR everyday like I have for Barker.

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 12:02:38 PM »
God i hope Mario don't get the job i want George Hamilton or John O'Hurley hell even Todd newton sounds like a nice choice

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 12:09:53 PM »
Allow me to be the first to state that I will give the show a chance if Mario Lopez is chosen to host it.  I honestly don't know a thing about any of the realistic candidates, so I'll only be able to learn by watching next season.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 03:26:06 PM »

SteveGavazzi wrote:
Allow me to be the first to state that I will give the show a chance if Mario Lopez is chosen to host it.  I honestly don't know a thing about any of the realistic candidates, so I'll only be able to learn by watching next season.

I agree with Steve here.

Mario Lopez wouldn't be my first choice, either, but I have to admit that I'm a little shocked by the people who are so quick to say that they'd just stop watching altogether if _________ gets picked to host.  Is that a "loyal friend and true?"

I've said this before, folks, and maybe it's time to say it again:  if you can't separate Bob Barker from the show, then the show is ending for you this season.  Period.  

Don't put conditions on it...don't threaten to stop watching if one person gets the job over someone else.  We went through all that drama over the announcer search.  Guess what?  I don't know a single person who stopped watching because Rich got the job instead of someone they might have preferred.  Some of you will never enjoy the show again because Bob Barker isn't there holding the mic.  And that's okay.  You don't have to keep watching; you don't have to sit through a show when your heart isn't in it, anymore.  No one's asking you to do so.

Bottom line:  you'll either watch because you like the show, or you won't because you only like Barker hosting the show.

Would the show be different if it were hosted by Mario Lopez?  Sure.  And it would be different if it were hosted by Todd Newton.  Or John O'Hurley.  Or Rich Fields.  Or Marc Summers.  It'll be different because it isn't Barker.

At the same time, Lopez has the look, has some hosting talent -- having hosted more shows than some of the other candidates! -- and he'd probably appeal to the older folks who'd like to see their granddaughters marry him.  And he's probably better known to the general public than someone like Todd Newton or Marc Summers.  Many people I've talked to who aren't "into" the show the way I am never seem to recognize Newton's name.  Some seem to think they know who I'm talking about if I mention "Whammy."  Fewer recognize Sumemrs' name.  But LOTS of people know who Lopez is.

In other words, without having seen him give the 'Price' format a shot, I can think of WORSE candidates.  MANY, in fact.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 03:34:02 PM »
Amen, CBSpromoman!

Oh by the way, dmartin, nice avatar!  That's one of the oldest pictures of Bob I've ever seen.  He actually looks young!

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 03:44:07 PM »

CBSpromoman wrote:
In other words, without having seen him give the 'Price' format a shot, I can think of WORSE candidates.  MANY, in fact.

Yeah, like Ryan Seacrest.  "You have a price of $13,950 on this car.  The actual retail price...will be read, after this."  That kind of crap he pulls on 'Idol' drives me NUTS!  (Which is why I love Bob Barker; he knows how to do a suspenseful reveal and get it done WITHOUT making us go through x amount of commercials.)

If Mario Lopez is chosen, I may give it a shot.  After all, I do find myself watching Pet Star a lot and enjoy the show.  Heck, Lopez is better than Rosie O'Donnell, John O'Hurley, and all the other O's we have trying out for this job.  I realize there will be changes made to the show, and I will have to attempt to accept them if I continue watching 'Price.'

If Rosie O'Donnell gets the job, 'Price' will turn into another hour-long gossip-fest.  John O'Hurley would screw up the show so bad, it would be unbearable.  (I can't even bear to watch 'Feud' anymore because of him, and it would be the same if O'Hurley hosted 'Price.'  I've given him several chances, but he pulls the same annoying crap--e.g.: pretending to be scared by the buzzer--each time I watch.)  Rich--yeah, I'd like to see him get the job, but now we know he's not a contender so it's not going to happen.  With that being said, I'm willing to give Mario Lopez a chance should CBS and Fremantle choose him.  

I will quit watching 'Price' IF AND ONLY IF John O'Hurley or Rosie O'Donnell gets the job.  Why?  Because I've seen their past work, and it sickens me.  (Why do you think Mr. Barker has been hosting for 35 years?  His previous work on 'ToC' was great, and people already loved him.)  After all, it IS the first impression AND the previous impression that makes the difference.  THAT is when I threaten to quit watching--when the new host screws the show up so much that it's unbearable to watch.
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 05:54:43 PM »

compdude512 wrote:

CBSpromoman wrote:

Yeah, like Ryan Seacrest.  "You have a price of $13,950 on this car.  The actual retail price...will be read, after this."  That kind of crap he pulls on 'Idol' drives me NUTS!  (Which is why I love Bob Barker; he knows how to do a suspenseful reveal and get it done WITHOUT making us go through x amount of commercials.)

You realize, don't you, that this isn't Ryan Seacrest's choice?  The producers of the show make him do that to stretch the suspense.  Barker routinely stretches the suspense by delaying price reveals on various pricing games.  As he says, "he milks it for all it's worth."  

The only reason Barker doesn't stretch the suspense through a commercial break is because the format of the show won't work that way.  But if there was a way he could do it, and he had a contestant he was having a good time "messing" with, I bet he'd do it in a second.

The exception is the Showcase round, where he pitches to break saying, "We'll find out which has bid better right after this."  Maybe Barker's not as obnoxious or melodramatic about it as Seacrest, Mandell or others, but it's really the same thing.

compdude512 wrote:
THAT is when I threaten to quit watching--when the new host screws the show up so much that it's unbearable to watch.

With all due respect, you're contradicting yourself.  You threaten to quit watching "when the new host screws the show up so much?" yet you're saying that you won't watch if certain people get the job...meaning that if they do screw up the show, you won't see it because you wouldn't have given them that chance to start with.

I can understand watching a host, then deciding that you can't watch anymore.  I can't understand, if you're open-minded, swearing off the show because you don't like the way a specific person hosts the show when you haven't seen them host the show at all.

I took a lot of flak on a game show blog just after 1 vs. 100 was announced because I said something negative about that show's choice for host.  I don't like Bob Saget.  I don't think he's remotely funny.  I couldn't stand him on that home video show on ABC.  He paused for applause whenever he seemed to think he said something funny, whether the audience agreed or not.  And often, it sounded like they didn't.  I would never have chosen him as a host.  But he's different on '100.'  He's not that annoying persona that I thought was going to be so over the top.  He fits the show quite well, much to my surprise.

Granted, I could miss an episode of '100' and never even think about it.  It's by no means "appointment TV" for me.  But when I think about it, or when I'm flipping through the channels and find it, I watch.

I could have said, (like you're saying you will), that because I dislike Saget's prior work, there'd be no way I'd watch.  I didn't, and I was pleasantly surprised for having done so.  He's not my favorite host, and I certainly don't like him enough that I'd want to consider him even for a second as a Barker replacement, but he's fine on his show.

Do whatever you want...I'm just saying that it's a little shortsighted to "vow" never to watch if you're not even going to give the show a chance.  After all these years, I'd think the show itself would deserve that much.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place