Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 11/22/2017 (TPiR Season 46 Thanksgiving College Rival Special)  (Read 8961 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
Episode #8103K (TPiR Season 46 Thanksgiving College Rival Special)
Aired – 11/21/2017; Taped – 10/22/2017
Models: Manuela Arbelaez, Amber Lancaster
Microphone Handoff: Amber
First Four Contestant Seating: Left to Right

First IUFB: Television (55in 4K LED HD Smart TV); ARP: $2,300 (Manuela)

JULIANNA
(MISS. ST.)
BROOKE
(OLE MISS)
PHILLIP
(GEORGIA TECH)
ERIC
(GEORGIA)
2500 1500 1750 1

The winner is...
PHILLIP

Phillip is playing Money Game for a 2018 Honda Fit XL (1.5L engine, 6-speed MT, FWD, cargo cover) (Amber).

MONEY GAME

31 46 73
    92 17 60
    16 54 18
    F 2 R

Phillip picks [16] - [$$]

16   31 46 73
    92 17 60
    $$ 54 18
    F 2 R

Phillip picks [17] - [F]

16   31 46 73
    92 F 60
    $$ 54 18
    17 2 R

Phillip picks [60] - [$$]

16   31 46 73
60   92 F $$
    $$ 54 18
    17 2 R

Phillip picks [54] - [$$]

16   31 46 73
60   92 F $$
54   $$ $$ 18
    17 2 R

Phillip picks [92] - [$$]

16   31 46 73
60   $$ F $$
54   $$ $$ 18
92   17 2 R

LOSS (Total Winnings: $222; ARP: $17,231; Eric wins $1,000.)

Second IUFB: Designer Sunglasses (Wear Panda: 5 his and her sunglasses); ARP: $600 (Overhead)

JULIANNA
(MISS. ST.)
BROOKE
(OLE MISS)
MEGAN
(OHIO STATE)
ADAM
(MICHIGAN)
501 502 300 500

The winner is...
BROOKE

Brooke is playing BARGAIN GAME for trip to Costa Rica (RT Coach to Juanacasta, CR then to Playa Flamingo for a 6n stay at the Flamingo Beach Resort and Spa) (Manuela) and a trip to Vancouver (RT Coach to Vancouver, BC for a 6n stay in a deluxe view room at the Sheraton Vancouver Mall Centre + daily breakfast, $300 food/beverage credit) (Amber).

She picks Vancouver.

ITEM PRICE TAG ARP DIFFERENCE
COSTA RICA
$6347
$7147
$800
VANCOUVER
$4316
$6116
$1800
WIN

Third IUFB: Video Game Package (XBox 1 and PS4 with consoles and 2 games); ARP: $860 (Amber)

SARA
(TEXAS)
VINCENT
(OKLAHOMA)
MEGAN
(OHIO STATE)
ADAM
(MICHIGAN)
850 700 600 851

The winner is...
ADAM

Adam is playing Vend-O-Price for a new kitchen and cooking lessons (Frigidaire: microwave, 5-burnre gas range, French door fridge, dishwasher; $500 lessons from Sur La Table; ARP: $7,196) (Manuela).

GREEN BEANS
STUFFING
APPLE PIE

Adam pulls the lever on the stuffing shelf, as they think it's the most expensive.

$1.29
$10.32
$7.99
$23.97
$2.99
$14.95

LOSS (Megan wins $1,000.)

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Adam $860 30 70 1.00
*$1,000!*
Phillip $2,522 35 75 1.10
OVER
Brooke $13,863 20 65 .85

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 TOTAL RESULT
Adam $1,860 50 .50
*SHOWCASE*

Fourth IUFB: Pair of iPhones (Apple: 64GB iPhone 8+ and 64GB iPhone 8); ARP: $1,498 (Manuela)

SARA
(TEXAS)
VINCENT
(OKLAHOMA)
GLENDA
(AUBURN)
LAUREN
(ALABAMA)
1700 1701 1200 800

The winner is...
GLENDA

Glenda is playing 1/2-Off for a chance to win $10,000!

Inside one of these boxes in $10,000! The rest have nothing. Glenda can eliminate some of the boxes by guessing which item is half-off it's ARP.

BLENDER $80 $20

BACK
SUPPORT

She picks the back support...

BLENDER $80 $20 $20

Wrong! None of the boxes are elminated...

HAIR
REMOVER
$5 $90

MEAT
THERMOMETER

She picks the hair remover...

$10 $5 $90

MEAT
THERMOMETER

Correct! Half of the boxes are elminated...

DICE
GAME
$8 $65

TEA
KETTLE

She picks the tea kettle...

DICE
GAME
$8 $65 $130

Correct! Half of the boxes are elminated...

Box picked:

Inside the box:

Money inside box:

LOSS (Total Winnings: $238; Lauren wins $1,000.)

Fifth IUFB: Tailgating Equipment (Camp Chef: 2-burner stove, griddle, 5-piece set, cooler, table); ARP: $1,037 (Amber)

SARA
(TEXAS)
VINCENT
(OKLAHOMA)
ALEXIS
(USC)
KIMBERLY
(NOTRE DAME)
600 601 800 900

The winner is...
KIMBERLY

Kimberly is playing That's Too Much for a 2018 Chevrolet Cruze LS (1.8L engine, 6-speed AT, FWD) (Manuela).

$15,620
$16,732
$17,995
$19,280
$20,575
$22,122
$ $ $
$ $ $
$ $ $
$ $ $
ARP:
$20,400
LOSS
$15,620
$16,732
$17,995
$19,280
$20,575
$22,122
$ $ $
$ $ $
$ $ $
$ $ $

Alexis gets $1,000.

Sixth IUFB: Turntable Package (Audio Technica: DirectDrive turntable with 2 pairs of headphones + 8 albums); ARP: $1,507 (Manuela)

SARA
(TEXAS)
VINCENT
(OKLAHOMA)
HEATHER
(FLORIDA ST)
JACQUELINE
(FLORIDA)
700 1001 1000 650

The winner is...
VINCENT

Vincent is playing One Wrong Price for:

1. designer accessories (Coach: Ladies collection with slip ons, lace heels, slip-ons, pumps, handbags, crossbody bag) (Amber)
  2. computer (30in all-in-one computer with 8GB RAM, 1TB HD) (Amber and Manuela)
  3. washer and dryer (Washer and electric dryer with wifi) (Manuela)

$1990 $1248 $3198
ACCESSORIES COMPUTER WASHER/DRYER

Vincent picks accessories...

$1990 $1248 $3198
$1990 $2239 $3198
LOSS    

Sara wins $1,000.

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Kimberly $1,037 95 STAY .95 *SHOWCASE*
Vincent $1,507 85 70 1.55
OVER
Glenda $1,736 20 30 .50

THE FABULOUS SHOWCASES

Adam has the honors...

SC1 - Adam

SOME OF THE BEST SEATS
  • Trip to Atlanta (RT Coach to Atlanta, GA for a 6n stay in a premier 1-bedroom suit at the Georgian Terrace Hotel + $3000 food breakfast credit, upper level tickets) (Amber)
  • 2017 Fiat 124 Spider Classica Convertible (1.4L engine, 6-speed MT, RWD) (Manuela)
Bid: $25,500

SC2 - Kimberly

COMPETITION GOING
  • Game Room (9ft shuffleboard table; air hockey table, arcade game with 130 options) (Manuela)
  • 2018 Toyota Corolla iM Hatchback (1.8L engine, CVT, FWD) (Amber)
Bid: $31,000
Adam
$25,500
ATLANTA/CAR
$32,295
$6,795
ATLANTA/CAR
*WIN*
$34,155
Kimberly
$31,000
ROOM/CAR
$25,678
ROOM/CAR

Results: 1 out of 6
Winnings: $59,280
Biggest Winner: Adam

This Recap is solely intended for the purpose of Golden-Road.net.
Reproduction of this without authorized consent is prohibited.

Recap produced by Roadgeek Adam
Templates by Visualbasicwizard and WhammyPower788
CSS work provided by cu2010.

There is no show on Thursday or Friday. The next show is Monday, November 27 (the Cyber Monday Show). Have a Happy Thanksgiving Weekend. Heavens know I won't be. :(
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 08:19:01 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
That was a great twist to the Contestant's Row proceedings: having two rivals called down at the same time, and then having the winner's opponent sit in the audience again, with $1,000 being awarded to the opponent if the winner then lost the ensuing PG. I think that TPIR should do this for their Super Bowl special in 2019, as that would be the next edition to air on CBS, IIRC.

I had a feeling that the pies should've been selected in Vend-O-Price, and that the computer had the one wrong price. But this was a well-executed show indeed.

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
An alright show.
Interesting to note , Texas and Oklahoma is the only Rivalry ( Not Team ) to appear on all 3 College Rivals shows.
When it comes to 1/2 Off , was that the 1st time Two of the Starting prices used were under $10?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
That was a great twist to the Contestant's Row proceedings: having two rivals called down at the same time, and then having the winner's opponent sit in the audience again, with $1,000 being awarded to the opponent if the winner then lost the ensuing PG. I think that TPIR should do this for their Super Bowl special in 2019, as that would be the next edition to air on CBS, IIRC.
This format has been used for a show during the NCAA basketball tournament the past two seasons also, today wasn't a new thing except for using football rather than basketball rivals.

Other than the 2nd pair 1/2 Off had a somewhat tricky setup. I was really surprised the Farkle game wasn't chosen over the tea kettle since it's only $8.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Other than the 2nd pair 1/2 Off had a somewhat tricky setup. I was really surprised the Farkle game wasn't chosen over the tea kettle since it's only $8.

Perhaps they were trying to make sure that the contestant wouldn't get all three correct to bring it down to 2 boxes, as with this special format that could have had an interesting outcome.

Had it gone to 2 boxes, the contestant gets $1000 - then they pick the wrong box and their opponent also gets $1,000 (as they didn't "win" the game), so who is really the loser or winner in that matchup?

Seeing that they didn't play any of the games where a bailout option is offered, probably for the same reason.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
That was a great twist to the Contestant's Row proceedings: having two rivals called down at the same time, and then having the winner's opponent sit in the audience again, with $1,000 being awarded to the opponent if the winner then lost the ensuing PG.

No it wasn't. We should never be rooting for contestants to lose their pricing games so others come out ahead. That's not what the show is about.

The fact that they keep using this godawful format baffles me.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
No it wasn't. We should never be rooting for contestants to lose their pricing games so others come out ahead. That's not what the show is about.

The fact that they keep using this godawful format baffles me.

Except--and maybe this is just me--but I never find myself rooting for anyone to lose their pricing game. If anything, I'm still fully invested in the contestants that find their way up on stage. The main purpose of this format is to shake things up a little bit and provide the winning bidder with a little extra incentive to win their pricing game. I don't sense any kind of maliciousness with the audience or the contestants in these types of episodes, and it all seems to be done in good fun.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
Except--and maybe this is just me--but I never find myself rooting for anyone to lose their pricing game. If anything, I'm still fully invested in the contestants that find their way up on stage. The main purpose of this format is to shake things up a little bit and provide the winning bidder with a little extra incentive to win their pricing game. I don't sense any kind of maliciousness with the audience or the contestants in these types of episodes, and it all seems to be done in good fun.
It is, but on a normal episode no one in the audience has a real reason to root for someone to lose. Even if this was straight rivals, the rooting for contestants from a rival school to lose would be playful most likely. But the show gave at least one person a legitimate reason to root for someone to lose. $1,000 is a nice chunk of change. That doesn't mean any of the rivals who are sent back to their seat is going to actually, actively, or seriously root for the contestant on stage to win, but the show honestly shouldn't give people a reason to root for a loss anyway.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
That doesn't mean any of the rivals who are sent back to their seat is going to actually, actively, or seriously root for the contestant on stage to win, but the show honestly shouldn't give people a reason to root for a loss anyway.

Forget quietly rooting - how about yelling advice that they believe to be incorrect so that the on stage contestant loses?

If it's between me and $1,000 I would have no problem doing it.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
It is, but on a normal episode no one in the audience has a real reason to root for someone to lose.

And no one, save for the "rival" contestant, has a reason to do on these episodes, either. Not to mention, it's essentially no different than being the leader during the Showcase Showdown. You can't sit there and tell me that not a single one of the thousands of contestants that have been active leaders during the Showdown aren't at least hoping a little bit that the other contestants spin low/go over.

Forget quietly rooting - how about yelling advice that they believe to be incorrect so that the on stage contestant loses?

Except why would they even want to listen to someone who was their "rival"?

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 11/22/2017 (TPiR Season 46 Thanksgiving College Rival Special)
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 11:13:54 PM »
And no one, save for the "rival" contestant, has a reason to do on these episodes, either.
You could also include the friends of the rival and even, in a stretch scenario the entire school group of the rival. Again, people know better and hopefully just enjoy the show, the presence and atmosphere. I'm just of the mind that they shouldn't give them extra incentive not to wish the best for a fellow contestant.

Not to mention, it's essentially no different than being the leader during the Showcase Showdown. You can't sit there and tell me that not a single one of the thousands of contestants that have been active leaders during the Showdown aren't at least hoping a little bit that the other contestants spin low/go over.
Not exactly. In the Showcase Showdown, you're hoping for something completely uncertain. If you win the SCSD, you might go over in the Showcases or your opponent could exacta. There's no guarantee you win anything. There's no gray area here though. Your opponent loses, you'll most definitely be walking out of Studio 33 $1,000 richer.

And even more than just the "root-for-loss" implication the format implies, it also bothered me that five of the contestants called 1st-8th all only get one shot in Contestant's Row. If you're not called ninth, you should at least get one more shot to make it on stage and yet five of those people are denied that opportunity. And maybe it's a small thing, but I like when people have an extra chance after facing a rather tough IUFB or being 1-uped.

Except why would they even want to listen to someone who was their "rival"?
This was actually discussed the first time they ever did this, I'm sure. That's so right. It'd be unwise to go for advice from the person who has active interest in you losing. If anyone were that trusting, I'd have a bridge in New York City I'd like to sell them.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 11:56:07 PM »
You could also include the friends of the rival and even, in a stretch scenario the entire school group of the rival. Again, people know better and hopefully just enjoy the show, the presence and atmosphere. I'm just of the mind that they shouldn't give them extra incentive not to wish the best for a fellow contestant.

Not exactly. In the Showcase Showdown, you're hoping for something completely uncertain. If you win the SCSD, you might go over in the Showcases or your opponent could exacta. There's no guarantee you win anything. There's no gray area here though. Your opponent loses, you'll most definitely be walking out of Studio 33 $1,000 richer.

And even more than just the "root-for-loss" implication the format implies, it also bothered me that five of the contestants called 1st-8th all only get one shot in Contestant's Row. If you're not called ninth, you should at least get one more shot to make it on stage and yet five of those people are denied that opportunity. And maybe it's a small thing, but I like when people have an extra chance after facing a rather tough IUFB or being 1-uped.

Yes, there's typically no money involved being the leader in the Showcase Showdown. But why exactly does that make this situation any different? Whether it's a guaranteed $1000 or a spot in the Showcase, it's all the same. Not to mention, this goes against the crux of your argument--that rooting against other contestants is somehow against "the spirit of the show". The fact of the matter is that at some point in every show--whether it's Contestant's Row, the Showdown or heck, even the Showcases, there's at least one contestant going up against someone, and possibly rooting against the others--whether there's guaranteed money on the line or not.

Also, one thing that I think should be pointed out--the core format of the show is unique in that it still allows for "losers" to get a second lease on life by advancing to the Showcase. So even if the "rival" got the upper hand in the pricing game, there's still an opportunity for both parties to come out on top.

And I should also mention that yes, while it is a little disappointing for someone to take a seat after one IUFB, on the flip side it does give more audience members a shot at Contestant's Row, so it kind of comes out in the wash.

Offline Mewtwo

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 10:38:37 PM »
Imagine if the format was made a little more extreme - have this be a show where they have some extra budget to play with, and have it that if you DON'T win your pricing game, your rival wins the prize you just lost out on.

It could go 0-for-6 but 6 people are still walking out of there with two bundles of cash, two cars, and two prize packages one way or another.

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 12:00:26 PM »
Imagine if the format was made a little more extreme - have this be a show where they have some extra budget to play with, and have it that if you DON'T win your pricing game, your rival wins the prize you just lost out on.

It could go 0-for-6 but 6 people are still walking out of there with two bundles of cash, two cars, and two prize packages one way or another.

This would work with games where it's clearly a win or a loss with no in-between: Gridlock, Dice Game, pretty much all the non-car non-cash games (especially the quickies), etc

But there are some games where this might not work so well, and those games would be ones with the option to bail out with a smaller sum of cash/group of prizes (most of the cash games, Gas Money, Temptation) or no bail option but chance to win part of the top prize if you don't get the entire cash prize (Time is Money)

So how would the show deal with the bailouts/partial wins as described above?

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 06:26:34 PM »
So how would the show deal with the bailouts/partial wins as described above?

There’s 77 pricing games, and only 15 or so offer bailouts. The simplest thing to do would be just to just give those 15ish games a break for an episode.

It would mean no cash games, but that’s a price you gotta pay for tweaking the format to encourage losses.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."