Author Topic: Idea for a new car pricing game  (Read 6436 times)

Offline wdm1219

• Walking the Golden Road
Idea for a new car pricing game
« on: April 08, 2007, 10:28:49 AM »
I dreamt this game up, literally, dreamt about this game while I slept.

It's called "FILL IT UP".  The game is played for a car, truck or van.  The player can also possibly win a $1,000 gas card, which would be most valuable, especially these days!

The game is played on the turntable.  There are 5 spaces which represent the price of the car in dollars.  There are no digits that repeat in the price, similar to Any Number.  There are 4 spaces below that, which spell out the word "LOSE".  The object of the game is to fill in the price of the car before you spell out the word "LOSE" hence the name of the game "Fill It Up".  In this respect this game is similar to Any Number.  This game also contains elements of Add 'Em Up and 3 Strikes.

Each digit 0-9 appears below the game board, just like they did on the Add Em Up board.  Five of the digits conceal a picture of a gas pump (a good number), 4 of the wrong digits conceal the 4 letters in the word LOSE, and 1 of the wrong digits conceals the "Out of Gas" card.  If that card is selected during the game, the player loses the chance to win the $1,000 gas card, but can still win the car.  If the player can fill in the 5 digits of the car price before spelling out the word "LOSE" then they win the car.  If they fill in all 5 digits of the price of the car AND they do NOT find the bad digit that conceals the "Out of Gas" card, then they win the car AND the gas card as well.  The spelling out of "LOSE" obviously contains that element of Spelling Bee, only in this case you do NOT want to spell out that word since obviously, if the word "LOSE" is spelled out first, the player wins nothing.

"Fill It Up" refers not only to the requirement of filling up the price of the car, but also a request often made to gas attendents when one goes to purchase gas for their automobile as well, which ties in to the overall theme of this game.

I put this in the "left field" thread because it seemed the main thread was about the actual show, and actual pricing games, not for new ideas for new games.  I'm most curious to know what you all think of this pricing game idea.

Thanks,
The creative one,
Bill

Offline junkaholic95

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Idea for a new car pricing game
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 11:42:28 AM »
If this game could be explained in fewer words, maybe.  Although, I must admit, 5 bad cards, 5 good cards, this would create for one suspenseful ending if it came down to only 2.

Here's a board design I thought up for you.  The L O S E, Out of Gas, and pump cards would go behind the numbers and would be moved above to their respective location.  And, I found a flaw in your rules.  You didn't say how we'd know where the right number goes.  I think once they find a pump card, the correct space for it should light up.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 12:06:44 PM »
My God...that's actually a decent idea.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 12:50:29 PM »
Ya know, for this game I would want Fremantle to wave their policy about taking game ideas from people not employed by them. Great game idea! Simple, exciting, and the gas card is a nice touch!

One very minor change suggestion: Call the game FILL 'ER UP.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 01:14:53 PM »
Agreed with the above.  This game could actually work.  Nice idea...you need more dreams :).

Offline styleguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 02:55:03 PM »
So many of the new pricing game ideas I see on this board are lousy, but NOT this one.

This one is phenomenal, creative and all together wonderful.

I would love to see this game on a future episode of Price.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 03:23:04 PM »
Wow! This game is pretty darn good.  I want to play this!

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 08:33:02 PM »
I like it. Very simple, very fun, and very creative idea.

Nice dream! :)
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline simpson93

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 09:06:01 PM »
Very creative ieda, I like this pricing game ieda.

If I can grade this, i'll give this: 10 out of 10

Offline wdm1219

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 09:17:18 PM »
Well thank you one and ALL for your very kind replies!  Junkaholic, the board you designed is EXACTLY how I pictured the board to look too!  Very well done, and yes, I did neglect to mention that when a gas pump icon is found, the digit is automatically lit up in the car's price!

Thank you all again ever so much.  I hope I can take my swelled head through the doorway when I head to bed tonight!  I have other game ideas as well which I am inclined to post on here in the future.

Stay well and thanks again for all the kind words and feedback, and yes, "FILL 'ER UP" is an even better title!

Humbly,
Bill

Offline junkaholic95

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 09:24:08 PM »

wdm1219 wrote:
Junkaholic, the board you designed is EXACTLY how I pictured the board to look too! Very well done, and yes, I did neglect to mention that when a gas pump icon is found, the digit is automatically lit up in the car's price!

Wow!  I actually got it right?! Woo Hoo! :-D  I'll change the name on the board for you. ;-)

Hey Simpson.  I just noticed that your avatar is that game you came up with a while back that I helped you with.  Nice job!

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 09:43:52 PM »
I noticed that junkaholic used Roger's favorite font in the making of the gameboard. :-P

This is one of the best original PG ideas I've seen on this forum in a while.  The $1,000 gas card bonus is a great incentive.  I also like that this game has that final suspenseful moment that have made games like Any Number and 3 Strikes so great.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 10:12:01 PM »
Here's a suggestion:  the "MRRRRRP" and Losing Horns should be used when this game is lost!  :-D
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 10:47:56 PM »
I like the name Fill 'Er Up better than Fill It Up, but other than that, it's the best idea for a pricing game I've seen.  Normally, the rules are too confusing or the concept is not that good, but this is far from that.  I so wish that this game would be the next new pricing game!

Offline wdm1219

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 04:22:46 AM »
Speaking of sound effects, my vision includes the sound effect of a double high-pitched ding when a gas pump picture is discovered on the board, similar to the double ding heard when driving over that cord that they have at gas stations, followed by that corrected selected digit popping into the price of the car with a single ding, similar to how they do it with Pathfinder.

I must say, I'm truly and most happily floored by the overwhelming positive responses that this game has received.  I only wish the board game that I attempted to invent some 17 years ago could have flown half as well!

Thanks again for all the feedback, it truly has been all positive and I am most grateful.  I've watched Price all the way back from 1972, as it debuted, along with The Joker's Wild and the all but forgotton Gambit on 9/4/1972, just 2 days before my first day of Kindergarten, so when Bob finally does hang it up, it will be an especially emotional day for me, those final few programs.

Bill McD.