Author Topic: What do you hate most when it happens?  (Read 11733 times)

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: What do you hate most when it happens?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 10:09:13 AM »
In "Hole in One", when the player passes over an obviously cheap item, and the audience continues to urge them to pick that cheap item next.

Offline tpirsuperfan99

• In the Audience
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 12:23:11 PM »
7's, 8's, and 9's appearing in the price of a Lucky 7 car. Especially when multiple appear.

I don’t think that 7’s are that evil, but 8’s and 9’s are definitely.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 12:26:39 PM by tpirsuperfan99 »

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »
Rat Race: contestants guessing anything less than $200 on the last small prize. It should be obvious by the pattern that it's a 3-digit prize, so guessing less than that is just throwing your chance away!

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 05:38:07 PM »
When That's Too Much is played.

Also, stopping way too early in Range Game.
1,686 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 07:31:24 PM »
When a contestant is faced against a clock and they don't get it right the first time, resulting in them randomly throwing guesses. Forget about looking at the audience; as long as it isn't Time is Money and they still get the right answer, I don't care that much.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2017, 11:44:22 AM »
Hate:
- Cheapest item in mailbox in PtR
- Looking at audience during TiM
- Not sure this have ever been discussed here -but every notice in Any Number how the audience claps louder when contestant guesses 2nd number in car vs. 3rd, 4th or 5th?  They should clap louder when they get a harder number not the other way around.  Guessing the car's second number is not that big of an achievement in this game and it doesn't mean you have a better shot of winning the car.  Drives me nuts!  LOL

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2017, 04:42:58 PM »
Hate:
- Cheapest item in mailbox in PtR
- Looking at audience during TiM
- Not sure this have ever been discussed here -but every notice in Any Number how the audience claps louder when contestant guesses 2nd number in car vs. 3rd, 4th or 5th?  They should clap louder when they get a harder number not the other way around.  Guessing the car's second number is not that big of an achievement in this game and it doesn't mean you have a better shot of winning the car.  Drives me nuts!  LOL

Speaking of the loud audience, I would hate to hear the volume if a contestant let the range finder go all the way to the top!

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2017, 04:55:27 PM »
Screaming contestants that come off as forced.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 12:03:04 AM »
This could happen with any game, but it grids my gears when a mechanical issue causes the contestant to lose. The game most likely to suffer this trope (despite being one of my favorites) is Rat Race, where sometimes, the mechanical rats - especially the one programmed to finish 1st-3rd - suffers a mechanical failure along the way, causing the contestant to lose. This becomes even worse if the contestant has only won 1 or 2 rats.
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2017, 12:32:36 AM »
When the audience cheers each time a contestant's number choice is put on the display during Temptation.  They still don't realize that the choice has to be verified later.  Or when Drew reveals the first number and the audience cheers, not remembering that Drew gave the contestant that number to begin with.

When game props don't line up perfectly or flip all of the way.  For example, some times Drew doesn't perfectly line up where the small prize flip board goes on Bonus Game.  Or the dice aren't perfectly placed in the plexiglass on Push Over, etc.  Bob would have fixed it, sometimes without comment and other times by saying, "I insist on neatness."

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2017, 12:39:39 AM »
Bob would have fixed it, sometimes without comment and other times by saying, "I insist on neatness."
And if memory serves, the "I insist on neatness" moments usually came when he would use percussive maintenance on props (Squeeze Play is a good example of this).

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2017, 10:44:31 AM »
When the audience cheers each time a contestant's number choice is put on the display during Temptation.  They still don't realize that the choice has to be verified later.  Or when Drew reveals the first number and the audience cheers, not remembering that Drew gave the contestant that number to begin with.

When game props don't line up perfectly or flip all of the way.  For example, some times Drew doesn't perfectly line up where the small prize flip board goes on Bonus Game.  Or the dice aren't perfectly placed in the plexiglass on Push Over, etc.  Bob would have fixed it, sometimes without comment and other times by saying, "I insist on neatness."

The premature cheering from the audience used to also occur in the early playings of Make Your Move.  For the first year or two of MYM's history, after the contestant would make their selection Bob would point to each of the prices, they'd be highlighted corresponding to the color of the prize, and a ding would sound.  Contestants often mistook this as the guesses being correct to the point where during one playing, Bob remarked, "That doesn't necessarily mean that he's right."  That contestant wound up winning.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2017, 02:13:35 PM »
People throwing themselves on the floor and rolling around. 
People screaming incessantly.

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2017, 03:11:20 PM »
People throwing themselves on the floor and rolling around. 
People screaming incessantly.

Hasn't that been the norm for the last few years?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2017, 03:29:39 PM »
Hasn't that been the norm for the last few years?
Sickeningly, yes. And why I have almost zero interest in the current show.