Author Topic: Question about daytime and syndicated shows.  (Read 2916 times)

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
Question about daytime and syndicated shows.
« on: March 01, 2018, 05:51:34 PM »
Just wondering, when both the daytime and syndicated show was in production, did they tape on different days from each other, or on the same day?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Question about daytime and syndicated shows.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 06:01:43 PM »
For the most part, when Dennis James was hosting the syndicated series (1972-1977), with rare exceptions his show taped on different days than the daytime run with Bob Barker. When Bob himself took over the syndie series (1977-1980), for the first year of him doing the nighttime show (1977-1978) they kept roughly the same schedule that Dennis had (three half-hour nighttime shows in one tape day). For the final two years of Bob doing nighttime (1978-1980), they'd typically tape one (hour-long) daytime show and two nighttime shows in one day. No clue on what the situation was when Tom Kennedy was hosting.

Offline plinkowin2010

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 05:13:33 PM »
I wonder if they will try to do the half hour nighttime price is right and have it air during the summer months in syndication. Todd Newton could be the host and have the same models from the daytime show (they could use the guest models from Y&R from this week or Tiffany Coynne).

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 06:56:17 PM »
Why would they try to do it?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 10:13:31 PM »
I wonder if they will try to do the half hour nighttime price is right and have it air during the summer months in syndication.

No you don't.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 02:27:46 AM »
A nighttime syndicated version of TPIR during the summer wouldn't work, especially these days.  Remember back in the 70s and 80s, television was almost exclusively summer reruns from late April-September.  Even when the 1986 specials aired, in the fabulous sixty minute format and a much bigger budget than the daytime show, TPIR still lost out in the ratings against Cosby Show repeats.  Fast forward to 2018 and programming doesn't follow the season system and you have new series debuting and season premieres  throughout the year (including the summer).   

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »
You also don't really see two or more versions of the same show airing at the same time anymore like you used to, certainly not game shows. It's been years now that a new version followed the ending of the previous version of a game show and not concurrently.

Offline tpir2002

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 05:03:55 PM »
I don't think a syndicated series would work. I do however think a few nighttime Million Dollar Spectaculars specials would work if they aired every now and then. They always did well ratings wise. I wish CBS would do them again.

Offline dhillrocks

• Outside in Line
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 11:51:15 AM »
I don't think a syndicated series would work. I do however think a few nighttime Million Dollar Spectaculars specials would work if they aired every now and then. They always did well ratings wise. I wish CBS would do them again.

Same here.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 11:55:46 AM »
Get the Writer's Guild of America to strike again.  That's how we got Drew's series.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 08:13:47 PM »
I wonder if they will try to do the half hour nighttime price is right and have it air during the summer months in syndication. Todd Newton could be the host and have the same models from the daytime show (they could use the guest models from Y&R from this week or Tiffany Coynne).

Realistically, you don't see shows syndicated for the summer, tryout series on limited station groups notwithstanding. Price would need to be syndicated to an afternoon or evening slot, and no station owner group is going to swap in Price to one of those high visibility slots for, roughly, eight weeks. There's no market for it, so no one is going to do that.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 10:08:39 PM »
Get the Writer's Guild of America to strike again.  That's how we got Drew's series.
:  I never knew this, though I do know strikes have led to some interesting program slotting.  I remember seeing documentaries usually reserved for PBS or National Geographic Channel on the three major networks during the writer's strike in 1988.  Other times, strikes pave the way for new programming that may not have otherwise had a chance.  IIRC, Magnum PI was originally a made for TV movie that aired on CBS during the 1980 writers' strike and proved so popular in the ratings it was rushed into production as a regular series.  If a strike does happen, Million Dollar Specials could be hurried into production to give viewers a break from a constant cycle of repeats on the other networks. 

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 03:44:25 AM »
You also don't really see two or more versions of the same show airing at the same time anymore like you used to, certainly not game shows. It's been years now that a new version followed the ending of the previous version of a game show and not concurrently.

Like $ale of the Century w/the late Jim Perry-- he had one running on NBC, and another running in syndie from early '85 to mid-'86, IIRC.

Or, more popularly, O-R Dawson Feud-- he had it running on ABC daily, while over the run of the ABC show, he had one in syndie that started weekly, and then eventually became daily (also IIRC).

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 02:20:59 PM »

1994 was the last time a syndicated sibling series was tried and it was a dismal failure. Million Dollar specials also have run their course along with other Million Dollar game shows. They just don't have the spark they once did. CBS has a successful summer series with Big Brother.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 04:56:55 PM »
It's not that they don't have the spark, really...just that there's no need for counter/substitute programmiing right now.