Author Topic: Daylight Saving Time begins  (Read 3956 times)

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
Daylight Saving Time begins
« on: March 05, 2018, 10:12:33 PM »
Just a reminder,if you are in an area that observes Daylight Saving Time, set your clocks one hour ahead saturday night/sunday morning. 

Offline geniusinmath

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
Re: Daylight Saving Time begins
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 10:15:59 PM »
It is always a hassle to do it twice a year lol.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 11:00:56 PM »
There have been calls for some states to end the twice a year change and keep it on DST year round by switching to another time zone. Maybe we can breathe a sigh of relief in the near future...

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 12:26:46 AM »
Oh, right. That time of year again. Looking forward to more light during the day. :-)

BTW, just a thought - maybe the DST reminders could start being in one single thread (stickied possibly) instead of new ones when it begins/ends? It would save up a tiny bit of thread space in the board.
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp

Offline dmaingame

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 12:18:55 PM »
I am opting out of DST.  I don't set my clocks ahead and just operate on "summer hours" in that something I watch daily during winter that starts at 11:00am now starts at 10:00am. 

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 04:47:27 PM »
Thank goodness.  Now the show will be on at 1am my time instead of 2am...

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 06:26:00 PM »
Why do we call it standard time when we only have it for four months of the year now?

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 08:20:52 PM »
I live in Massachusetts, and we're studying moving into the Atlantic Time Zone, effectively making DST permanent in the Bay State. Time will tell if we and other eastern seaboard states make the move, since we need the cooperation to make it happen and to prevent any commercial or other issues that come with a time zone change.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 03:52:04 PM »
Why do we call it standard time when we only have it for four months of the year now?
I guess because it was the original standard that was set up by the railroad companies years ago?  Prior to that there wasn't as much need for exact timekeeping, but once trains were travelling across the country they needed some way to set up schedules so people would know when they would be arriving at a particular spot.

I live in Massachusetts, and we're studying moving into the Atlantic Time Zone, effectively making DST permanent in the Bay State. Time will tell if we and other eastern seaboard states make the move, since we need the cooperation to make it happen and to prevent any commercial or other issues that come with a time zone change.

With current technology it doesn't seem it should matter much if one state switched and others don't. 

While people could easily live in one and work in the other (or similar) the same has happened for a long time with the states that don't switch and even just where two time zones meet and it hasn't (or at least not enough to make it known) caused issues in any of those settings.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 07:40:07 PM »
I am all for eliminating DST.

Offline geniusinmath

• Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 07:48:11 PM »
I am all for eliminating DST.
You and me both.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 08:21:42 PM »
Florida is now one step closer to making it year-round DST as the senate has passed the bill today, by that, they plan to move it to Atlantic Standard Time if their governor signs it and congress approves it.

Online SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 11:22:59 PM »
I am opting out of DST.  I don't set my clocks ahead and just operate on "summer hours" in that something I watch daily during winter that starts at 11:00am now starts at 10:00am.

Spoken like someone who has never had a job in their life....