Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 3/21/2018 (TPiR Season 46 Youth Week: Day III - Tweens)  (Read 8738 times)

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPiR Recap - 3/21/2018 (TPiR Season 46 Youth Week: Day III - Tweens)
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 05:35:20 PM »
Isn't this how Wheel 2000 got off the ground with Wheel of Fortune Kids/Family Week shows,if this week is huge numbers espically the tween,teen episodes....CBS would have to be chomping at the bit to do a Nickeloden or CBS Saturday Morning version of the show and here comes Price '94 but with more of a regular Price feel to it

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 06:27:06 PM »
For the parents or when they get old enough.
For the kids' parents. The kids have input but the parents are the final decision makers.
But the point was to have the kids be the final decision makers and for these prizes to be for them. And it seems a little dumb to offer a prize that the people winning can't truly use for another 4-6 years. It's a car, not an savings bond.

My word, they made this show so easy, I didn't know if I was watching The Price is Right or a pop quiz where every question was "What is 1+1?" Not a bad thing either. All the kids were sweet and endearing. Matthew trying to give Drew the IUFB card back was so cute and wonderful. I was skeptical of this one, but having it be no car and making it very easy was the route to go.

My memory is rusty with the all-cash shows in the mix, but outside of All-Plinko, is this the first time a lineup with six unique games featured no actual car game? Because even the all-cash shows had at least one car game played for cash, no? Or was there a one car show from back in the day that featured a NCfaC?
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 07:26:19 PM »
My memory is rusty with the all-cash shows in the mix, but outside of All-Plinko, is this the first time a lineup with six unique games featured no actual car game? Because even the all-cash shows had at least one car game played for cash, no? Or was there a one car show from back in the day that featured a NCfaC?

Big Money Week #5's Friday- (Punch, Vend, Grand,X, Pair, Hangers) for sure didn't have a car game. I can't input for anything else.

Dang, I thought that 2 years of popcorn was the best side prize they ever offered on the show. Advertising a giant pizza outright takes the cake from that.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 07:47:30 PM »
Since we now know the idea of Tweens playing pricing games without adults works like a charm, I hope they could do an April fools day show with the same premise , plus have Tween versions of Drew , George and the models ( either actual tweens or child actors )

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 08:31:11 PM »
Isn't this how Wheel 2000 got off the ground with Wheel of Fortune Kids/Family Week shows,
To my knowledge, there is no record of Wheel of Fortune ever having children as contestants prior to that spinoff, and I know for certain that no children have been contestants following its demise.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline plinkoboard

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 08:41:33 PM »
Great episode today; about time we get another perfect episode. 
I believe we had the most expensive small prize ever used for both 1/2 off and Secret "X"

No on the 10/30/03 episode Secret X had a Hover SteamVac Dual V used with choices of $370 or $419.  It cost $370.  For 1/2 off though it might have been the most expensive one used.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 09:19:25 PM »
I don't know why, but I was a little surprised that Standards & Practices let the kids play without their parents, but it wasn't as if the kids had to make any decisions concerning whether to keep or risk money (e.g. in Let 'Em Roll or Pass The Buck).  Then again, somebody had a problem with younger kids punching out the holes in Punch A Bunch, but not with a 12-year-old girl choosing the box in 1/2 Off.

Something else that surprised me: the asterisks they put between the Contestant's Row podiums weren't a permanent design change.  I am assuming they only use them when there is more than one person per podium.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 09:23:32 PM »
Is this the first time the asterisks on the game side of the turntable have been all blue since season 44?  I don't get to watch the show daily but I know the last time I caught a full episode they were still multicolored.

The actual retail price is...

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 06:35:56 PM »
Is this the first time the asterisks on the game side of the turntable have been all blue since season 44?  I don't get to watch the show daily but I know the last time I caught a full episode they were still multicolored.

It looks like it's a change coming later in the season.  This episode was taped way later than any others they've aired so far.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 06:55:54 PM »
Oh, and I'm really disappointed that bringing back the original Hi Lo reveal wasn't permanent.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2018, 02:52:22 PM »
I don't know why, but I was a little surprised that Standards & Practices let the kids play without their parents, but it wasn't as if the kids had to make any decisions concerning whether to keep or risk money (e.g. in Let 'Em Roll or Pass The Buck).  Then again, somebody had a problem with younger kids punching out the holes in Punch A Bunch, but not with a 12-year-old girl choosing the box in 1/2 Off.

It shouldn't be an issue - after all Jeopardy has done it for many years (with their kids shows, and the kids are up there solo answering questions, making wagers on Daily Doubles and Final Jeopardy).

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2018, 10:30:40 AM »
...if this week is huge numbers espically the tween,teen episodes....CBS would have to be chomping at the bit to do a Nickeloden or CBS Saturday Morning version of the show and here comes Price '94 but with more of a regular Price feel to it

No one at CBS is going to be chomping at the bit to launch a weekly kids version. The broadcast networks put a fairly minimal effort into having to meet the archaic E/I requirements, and let it go at that. Price isn't going to be a Nick program, either--its not a style fit to where they are right now.

Sometimes things are just what they are--a one-off (or recurring one-off, on a season by season basis) deal.