Author Topic: Original Pricing Game Idea: Chain Reaction  (Read 2096 times)

Offline siowafc

• 11/15/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
Original Pricing Game Idea: Chain Reaction
« on: April 15, 2007, 02:22:46 PM »
Original Pricing Game Idea: Chain Reaction

This game is a small prize/car game played for an expensive ($20,000+) car and 5 small prizes. The goal of the game is to correctly find the prize of the car by creating a chain of small prizes that share a common digit in their prices.

After the car is shown and described, the contestant is presented with the game board and one small prize to start the chain off with. The prize is described and its two-digit price is revealed. These two digits are also the first two digits of the prize of the car, and these digits are lit up on the game board. For example, a $25 telephone would mean the car is worth $25,_ _ _.

The contestant is then presented with four additional small prizes which are described. The contestant is then told to select the small prize whose first digit is equal to the last digit of the first item. In the example above, the contestant would be required to find a small prize worth $5X.

Once the contestant has selected what he/she thinks is the next item in the chain, the last digit of that item is revealed. The contestant must then choose another small prize item whose first number is the same of the last number of the second item. This process is repeated until a four prize chain is completed. There is one extra small prize item that will not be used in the correct chain.

At this point in the game, the contestant should have a chain of four items and a potential price for the car. To determine if the price is right for the car, the first digit of the three selected prizes is revealed. If the first digits of the three prizes are the same of the last digits of the prize before, the price of the car is correct and the game is won. If at any point the chain is broken, the price of the car is incorrect and the contestant loses.

The reason that I think this game should be played for an expensive car is that the odds of winning are 1 in 24, which is the same as Golden Road or Triple Play.

As for staging, I imagine a gameboard behind the giant price tag that is somewhat similar to that of 3 strikes, with a large display for the numbers in the price of the car. The small prizes would probably be close by on wheeled pedistals that can be brought next to the gameboard by the digits they represent once they are selected by the contestant.

What do you guys think of this idea? Any comments are welcomed.

Example Gameplay:
CAR PRICE $ _ _ , _ _ _
First prize: Telephone - $25
CAR PRICE $25, _ _ _
Small Prizes: Book, DVDs, Lamp, Cleaner
Contestant chooses Lamp. The second digit in the price of the lamp is 7.
CAR PRICE $25,7 _ _
Contestant chooses Cleaner. The second digit in the price of the cleaner is 9.
CAR PRICE $25,79 _
Contestant chooses DVDs. The second digit in the price of the DVDs is 0. The book is not used in this chain.
CAR PRICE $25,790

Reveal:
The first number in the price of the lamp is 5.
The first number in the price of the cleaner is 7.
The first number in the price of the DVDs is 9.
WIN!

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Original Pricing Game Idea: Chain Reaction
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 02:42:10 PM »
An okay idea, although it might be a little difficult for a host to explain and a contestant to understand.

Offline junkaholic95

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 02:47:05 PM »
In a word... no.  Too confusing.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 05:14:03 PM »
No more name-stealing on TPiR.  They already got in trouble for Blank Check.  :oops:

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 06:32:16 PM »
Actually, the probability of winning Golden Road or TP is 1 in 24 (1/2*1/3*1/4).  This game would also be 1/24.  There are elements here that I like, but for the low probability and probable long time to play, it just isn't exciting enough for my taste.

Offline wdm1219

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 06:56:04 PM »
Also, which small prizes, if any, would the contestant keep?  Or are none of the small prizes able to be won in this game?

Interesting concept, but I agree a tad bit confusing for me.

Offline siowafc

• 11/15/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 08:03:50 PM »
I agree the original rules and gameplay were confusing. How is this?

CHAIN REACTION:

This game is a small prize/car game played for an ordinary priced car ($12,000+). The goal of the game is to correctly find the prize of the car by creating a chain of small prizes that share a common digit in their prices.

After the car is shown and described, the contestant is presented with the game board and one small prize to start the chain off with. The prize is described and its two-digit price is revealed. These two digits are also the first two digits of the prize of the car, and these digits are lit up on the game board. For example, a $18 radio would mean the car is worth $18,_ _ _.

The contestant is then presented with a pair of small prizes, which are described by the announcer. The hosts then ask the play which of the two items has the same first digit as the second digit in the price of the car, or, explained differently which prize has a value of fifty-something dollars. The price of the selected prize is revealed.

If the SP selected continues the chain, the game continues and another pair of small prizes is presented. The contestant is asked to choose, and, if correct again, is presented a third and final pair of prizes. The game is won if the contestant correctly finds the price of the car by picking the correct small prize in each of the three pairs.

If at any time the contestant chooses incorrectly, the game ends and the price of the correct selection in that pair is revealed. The contestant wins any small prize that was chosen correctly, and the first small prize is given away automatically. And just to make everyone happy, the price of the car is also revealed on the game board.

This, in my opinion, would make the game simpler and easier to understand, and the odds of winning would be increased to 1 in 8, which seems more reasonable.

Gameplay Example:

CAR PRICE: $_ _,_ _ _

Initial SP: Radio - $18
CAR PRICE: $18,_ _ _

1st Pair of SPs:
Mixer
Travel Mug
Contestant chooses Mixer.
Mixer Price: $85
CAR PRICE: $18,5 _ _

2nd Pair of SPs:
Fan
Stereo
Contestant chooses Fan.
Fan Price: $57
CAR PRICE: $18,57_

3rd Pair of SPs:
Camera
Cereal Dispenser
Contestant chooses Camera.
Camera Price: $79
CAR PRICE: $18,579

WIN!

Offline junkaholic95

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 09:35:26 PM »
Sorry, still not buying it.  I once came up with a pricing game idea that I thought was good.  The situation was similar to this.  People said no, so I tried to "simplify" it.  Long story short, all I did was kill it even more.  Please allow this one to die on its own.  I don't want to see happen to you what happened to me.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 09:47:02 PM »
Actually, the current version really isn't bad.  Just one suggestion:  kill the first SP entirely and spot the contestant the first two numbers.  Seven SP's is one too many, especially when the first one really has no effect on gameplay.  Plus, it'd limit Roger's choice of cars to things that happen to match whatever SP's he had in the $13-$25 range.

The biggest problem with this game would probably be finding a car whose price corresponded with the selection of SP's at Roger's disposal at that particular time, so it might not get played as much.  

All in all though...I actually like this one.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy