Author Topic: Pricing game changes that improved those games?  (Read 10986 times)

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Pricing game changes that improved those games?
« on: May 06, 2018, 11:49:25 AM »
What is at least one pricing game change that, in your opinion, made the game that was changed easier to play or better?

One I know of is when Card Game came back in 2014 under Drew; before, under Bob, it was oftentimes a smokeshoot as to what the price was, and you never knew where you stood (outside of the range card) whether you were over or under or within the range; also, overs or unders had the harsh buzzer and were quite embarrassing (witness the many painful losses under Bob).

Cut to 2014-now w/Drew, and not only was the look of the game updated (an LCD screen and audience sign that made the game look like you were in Vegas), but also, you got a little more information about where you stood (the range card, at the end of the game, was added to your bid, and the result of that is the high end of the range); also, the softer Showcase/Showcase Showdown "mrrp" started use in that game, instead of the harsher normal buzzer. A win also has a Vegas-style win fanfare playing in tandem w/the dings in succession for a time as well, not to leave out the game now being played by Contestants' Row, w/the car/truck/other vehicle in front of the row. Finally, there is no more "OVER" indication for an overbid; the price (no matter the result) is shown on the LCD screen, with the screen going red for a loss.

Again, what changes do you think have made games better?

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
Re: Pricing game changes that improved those games?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 11:55:21 AM »
I disagree with you on Card Game...to an extent. The new look of the game and the Vegas theme are much better than the old one, and I do genuinely enjoy the way the game looks now, but it didn't change the game itself any...and the game itself has been damaged so badly by inflation and time crunches over the years. I've also never been a fan of staging the back of the game (or any other, for that matter) towards the studio audience.

Reverting Three Strikes back to the "three strikes in the bag" rules made it that much better.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 12:14:34 PM »
I like that Grocery Game changed the win range to a $2 because it provides a little more leeway, although I do feel $20-$22 is a little too low given prices today. It would be even better if it was something like $23-$25.

Punch a Bunch changing its top prize to $25,000 made it that much more exciting when it's won also. Adding the 2nd $10,000 slip and putting in $2,500 slips a few seasons ago also made it a little better since it added more higher values below the top prize and eliminated some of the lower ones.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 01:13:03 PM »
The current $1000 bonus for perfect pricing in 1/2 Off is just right. Pricing everything correctly and getting nothing but small prizes on a 50/50 shot was too harsh, and $500 for each correct decision was too generous.

Plus of course the new Time Is Money--infinitely more fun and better-thought-out than the previous incarnation.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 02:26:14 PM »
Noticed responses-- thanks! One other that, IMO, made one better is Hole in One, or Two. Before, you only had one shot at the putt, and if you muffed it in any way, you were out of luck. The way it is now (which, IINM, began in '86), you have two chances at your putt (which helps with difficult putts where you don't move but one or two steps in the setup phase [arrangement of grocery prices from lowest to highest]); there is, also, that neat change where Bob/Drew presses the button on the title sign to change the title whenever the second chance is needed.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 02:46:29 PM »
Punch a Bunch changing its top prize to $25,000 made it that much more exciting when it's won also. Adding the 2nd $10,000 slip and putting in $2,500 slips a few seasons ago also made it a little better since it added more higher values below the top prize and eliminated some of the lower ones.

I agree. I find it difficult to believe that at one point, the prize for winning Grand Game was the equivalent to the prize for winning Punch-A-Bunch or spinning a second $1.00 on the Wheel.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 02:50:36 PM »
One I know of is when Card Game came back in 2014 under Drew; before, under Bob, it was oftentimes a smokeshoot as to what the price was, and you never knew where you stood (outside of the range card) whether you were over or under or within the range; also, overs or unders had the harsh buzzer and were quite embarrassing (witness the many painful losses under Bob).

Funny. I actually prefer the grating, monotone buzzer over the foghorn. I actually think that the harsh buzzer combined with the new Carey-era losing horns is one of the most satisfying sounds on the show, despite the fact that it denotes a loss.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 03:15:20 PM »
Cut to 2014-now w/Drew, and not only was the look of the game updated (an LCD screen and audience sign that made the game look like you were in Vegas), but also, you got a little more information about where you stood (the range card, at the end of the game, was added to your bid, and the result of that is the high end of the range); also, the softer Showcase/Showcase Showdown "mrrp" started use in that game, instead of the harsher normal buzzer. A win also has a Vegas-style win fanfare playing in tandem w/the dings in succession for a time as well, not to leave out the game now being played by Contestants' Row, w/the car/truck/other vehicle in front of the row. Finally, there is no more "OVER" indication for an overbid; the price (no matter the result) is shown on the LCD screen, with the screen going red for a loss.
Actually, from 1974 to the mid-90s, they did use the big buzzer for overbids in Card Game. Around Season 41, it was reinstated for Card Game and a myriad of other games, including Dice Game and One Away, and added to 1/2 Off when an empty box was revealed. On the flip side, the main buzzer sound is now sounded for losses in games that formerly had the foghorn for it: More or Less, Take Two and Danger Price come to mind (and for a time, Bargain Game had it too).

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 03:32:39 PM »
Actually, from 1974 to the mid-90s, they did use the big buzzer for overbids in Card Game.

I think I just saw one like that (I assume you meant the "mrrp") for a Card Game loss in the early 90s on YouTube.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 04:39:03 PM »
What is at least one pricing game change that, in your opinion, made the game that was changed easier to play or better?

This makes absolutely no sense.  Nothing that you said in that post has any bearing on the game's difficulty whatsoever; in fact, most of it doesn't even come into play until after the contestant has stopped.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 05:00:25 PM »
This makes absolutely no sense.  Nothing that you said in that post has any bearing on the game's difficulty whatsoever; in fact, most of it doesn't even come into play until after the contestant has stopped.

Interesting! I didn't think I was being nonsensical. I just was going off what I saw, because I grew up in the 80s around Barker, and have lived into the current Drew era, and I thought that the changes had some bearing on the difficulty. Somehow, I take it the game has always been difficult, changes and all-- is that what you're saying?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 05:10:13 PM »
Interesting! I didn't think I was being nonsensical. I just was going off what I saw, because I grew up in the 80s around Barker, and have lived into the current Drew era, and I thought that the changes had some bearing on the difficulty. Somehow, I take it the game has always been difficult, changes and all-- is that what you're saying?

...have you even watched Card Game? :confused:

Seriously, I'm not sure how to explain this more clearly beyond restating that, aside from the flashier presentation, Card Game's current set doesn't alter the game at all.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline WOF85

• In the Audience
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 05:35:22 PM »
What about the removal of 2 strike chips in 3 Strikes that ran for a number of season starting in 1998?
Plinko is the worst game the show ever made.

Offline ShootingDio

• In the Audience
  • I can explain.
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 06:01:17 PM »
What about the removal of 2 strike chips in 3 Strikes that ran for a number of season starting in 1998?

It was good for a good while, but it was won too easily and plus, having one strike in the bag extends the duration of the game.

Check Out improved as well. See Grocery Game.

Card Game because...before May 24, 2005, $2,000 was not an impressive maximum range you have to come within and people still lose with this, but with the $500 card, the struggles were pretty high with this.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 06:13:45 PM by ShootingDio »

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 06:03:23 PM »
I think I just saw one like that (I assume you meant the "mrrp") for a Card Game loss in the early 90s on YouTube.
Yes, that's it. The strange thing about it is, the contestant was actually too far under, which usually meant having the main buzzer sounded (which I didn't mind at the time, since it was still below the ARP).

I prefer Gas Money with the current rules; initially, you had to select what you thought was the ARP of the car and then try to eliminate the other four prices. At least with the current rules, you wouldn't be as screwed up if you eliminated what turned out to be the ARP as you would have been under the original rules.