Author Topic: Updated "Three Strikes"  (Read 9745 times)

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
Updated "Three Strikes"
« on: October 15, 2018, 02:33:56 PM »
They took the baseball motif and cranked it up to 11.

https://www.facebook.com/ThePriceIsRightCBS

All the changes are evident in the one image.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Re: Updated "Three Strikes"
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 03:14:52 PM »
Repeating what I said in today's recap...

Dayum!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline DYC

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 06:28:21 PM »
Geez is this thing the tallest game ever to grace Studio 34 stage? Taller than Shower Game? I wager that they’ll either remove or edit that top ‘crown’ piece before too long...

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 06:37:32 PM »
Geez is this thing the tallest game ever to grace Studio 34 stage? Taller than Shower Game? I wager that they’ll either remove or edit that top ‘crown’ piece before too long...

Already taken care of, albeit not before they were dumb.

Today, 12:27:26 Thetrismix: "Insider note: when this update was built over the summer, they didn’t realize that the fencing work and the circular light fixture at the top was too tall to come thru Door 2 to stage. The back fencing now folds down and out of the way for transport, then unfolds up and locks into place for game play.

Also, the previous 3 Strikes has officially hit the scrap heap. Landed in the dumpster last week."
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 07:15:27 PM »
You'd think that they would upload the first playing to Twitter or even YouTube, but nope, just today's Dice Game playing.

Online tpir72

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 07:22:32 PM »

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 07:29:56 PM »
I wouldn't say I love the new prop but I don't hate it.  It's a bit too much dark green for me but the added decorations do make it more interesting to look at and the jersey style numbers on the monitors are a nice touch.  The idea of using actual baseballs instead of chips is actually a neat idea.  If they would tone down the dark green a bit I'd like it a lot more.  Also, it might look a little nicer in presentation if the screens were green rather than black when they're blank.  I'll give this overhaul a B.  Pretty good, could use some work.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:33:58 PM by GameShowFan1987 »

The actual retail price is...

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 10:30:32 PM »
I like what they did with the board, but for some reason, the numbers not fading in when they light up really bothers me.  It's not necessarily bad, but it's jarring after seeing it change more gradually for 42 years.

Also, I'm not sure replacing the chips with balls was as good of an idea as it sounds like -- Drew seemed to be having trouble seeing what was drawn several times.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 10:48:11 PM »
Also, I'm not sure replacing the chips with balls was as good of an idea as it sounds like -- Drew seemed to be having trouble seeing what was drawn several times.
I wonder why that was. Was it just because of how she held the ball?

I like the new set, the new vessel is cool and definitely looks better than the bag. It's like one of those large globes that sit in a table and spin around. The new set is interesting, it's like a mix of an old fashioned scoreboard with the iron on a park bench. I kind of wish they kept the same look of the numbers though and I was surprised they didn't give the NO graphic a baseball look.

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 11:04:31 PM »
Looks decent...totally digging the balls. Unfortunate that the new design netted a loss today...
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline bonkers77

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 02:08:48 AM »
OMG! It's horrible! It's perfect just for Halloween! New useless Elements.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 06:44:35 AM »
OMG! It's horrible! It's perfect just for Halloween! New useless Elements.

Everybody has the right to their opinions, but I do have to ask how do you think the new set is horrible? I've seen a few people prefer the old design, which once again people have a right to, but you're the first person I've seen call it flat-out horrible. Just curious as to why?
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 07:26:13 AM »
I wonder why that was. Was it just because of how she held the ball?

I like I said over in the recap thread, a person holds a ball differently than they hold a 2-sided chip.  You cup a ball with your hand, meaning you cover half of the ball.  So even if the contestant holds the ball so that a number shows up perfectly toward them, Drew can't see the other side to read the number.  And if the contestant picks it up covering part of the number with their hand, they then have to spin the ball to fully see the number.  They're naturally going to hold it so that they can see how to turn it, again keeping Drew from seeing the number.

With a chip you have 2 sides.  You instantly know where the number is located; no spinning required (Except for right side up, but you can still read it).  And if you hold it to look at, Drew can still read the other side.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 08:19:56 AM »
I found the color a bit dark, but I suppose I'll get used to it. I do miss the old number style.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 08:43:56 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 3 Strikes the last 70s game to get a makeover?

As for the set itself, I liked the nostalgia of the last set, but on the other hand, this one is decent as well. It's a nice shade of green. I'm glad that they kept the same font for the title, which a nice throwback touch.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!