Author Topic: Daylight Savings Time ends this weekend  (Read 3078 times)

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
Daylight Savings Time ends this weekend
« on: October 29, 2018, 04:32:13 PM »
Just a reminder that if you are in an area that observes Daylight Savings Time, move your clocks one hour back, also check the batteries in your smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detectors.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Daylight Savings Time ends this weekend
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 04:51:37 PM »
I wished though that we would stop changing clocks twice a year and move it year round DST like some states/provinces are considering and even Europe which changed theirs yesterday... to me, darkness before 5 pm my time is not a welcome sign in my region.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 04:55:02 PM by mellongraig »

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 08:48:06 PM »
Oh yay, the idiocy of clock changing well into the 21st century again.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 03:13:24 AM »
Year-round DST doesn't work for locations on the western edge of their respective time zones.  Try selling the idea of a post 9:00am sunrise for 3 months a year to someone who lives in Grand Rapids, Louisville, Valentine Nebraska or Boise.  I'm all for year-round standard time with a westward shift in the current time zone boundaries to eliminate the 3:50pm sunsets that places like Augusta Maine, Boston, Rapid City, or Spokane see for the next 2 months.  (Maybe move the Bos-Wash corridor into Atlantic Standard Time?(which is Eastern Daylight Time) setting the AST/EST boundary just east of Interstate 81.  If we have to keep DST, I prefer the old start/end dates of the last Sunday in April and the last Sunday in October.  Seemed to flow better with the change of seasons in comparison to springing ahead in early-mid March when much of the northern half of the country is still within the snowy and icy grip of winter.  Doesn't make much sense to have 8pm daylight when it's 30 and there's a foot of snow on the ground. 

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 01:45:38 PM »
The end of DST in Tennessee (the 2/3 of the state in the Central Time Zone) means sunrises at 6:50 a.m. and sunsets at 4:30 p.m. around the start of winter, which is absolutely absurd.  There’s been talk of moving the state to year-round DST, which I’m all for, but nothing has ever come of it.  The only issue would be East Tennessee (Eastern Time Zone), but that can be remedied by placing them in the same time zone as the rest of the state.  Essentially, the entire state would be in Central Time during DST and Eastern Time when DST ends.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline SanAnMan

• In Contestant's Row
  • Always look on the bright side of life.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 02:03:11 PM »
I really don't care if it's Daylight Saving Time or Standard Time, just pick one or the other and be done with it! I despise having to switch.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 11:01:07 PM »
The end of DST in Tennessee (the 2/3 of the state in the Central Time Zone) means sunrises at 6:50 a.m. and sunsets at 4:30 p.m. around the start of winter, which is absolutely absurd.  There’s been talk of moving the state to year-round DST, which I’m all for, but nothing has ever come of it.  The only issue would be East Tennessee (Eastern Time Zone), but that can be remedied by placing them in the same time zone as the rest of the state.  Essentially, the entire state would be in Central Time during DST and Eastern Time when DST ends.
That could work well for Tennessee.  The majority of Indiana (excluding the northwest corner by Gary and Valparaiso) was on Eastern Standard Time/Central Daylight Time year round until 2005 or so.  The only resistance I could see is from people in Memphis (because neighboring suburbs in Arkansas would be an hour earlier in time during the winter months.  Tennessee has a similar situation to South Dakota in that their major cities are in the central and western part of the state.  In South Dakota's case, much of the state is on Rocky Mountain Time because Mt. Rushmore, Sturgis, Rapid City, and Deadwood are all less than 70 miles from Wyoming.  The result is sunsets in November and December as early as 4:06pm. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 11:12:38 PM by dmaingame »

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 10:45:46 PM »
Just a reminder that tonight is the night.  I personally would love to see this practice done away with or at the very least reverted to how it was pre-2005.

The actual retail price is...

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 01:42:17 AM »
Snd here I am at work, working a 13-hour+ shift. *sigh*
1,685 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner