Author Topic: Pricing game flops  (Read 15713 times)

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Pricing game flops
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 11:48:00 AM »
Gallery Game, On the Spot, Fortune Hunter come to mind.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 12:03:08 PM »
Gallery Game, On the Spot, Fortune Hunter come to mind.

I actually MISS Gallery Game, and find it far better than the Pick-a-Number that it devolved into, even if the setups sometimes aren't as friendly. The reveal was much better and having Handel's "Water Music" play as the contestant "paints" the missing digit as opposed to a model simply placing a digit had a much better presentation. Sure, it wasn't a bonefide flop that is more universally disliked like the first two versions of Bullseye, but it likely got revamped due to the high loss rate.

The biggest flop of a game introduced in the '90s was Split Decision. Since I only watched the show on summers/holidays, I never saw the game when it was in active rotation, and even though an expert may grasp the concept better, it basically was a messy mixture of Make Your Move and Bonkers, with a rule change adding to the confusion. Let's not talk about the flimsy numbers.

In terms of old games early in the show's history, it's a shame Mystery Price lasted only for half a season, as it had an interesting strategy among guessing SPs without going over. The set was typical of its age (with a rather kitschy font for the price), but it seems like viewers not understanding its rules led to its early demise.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 05:18:51 PM »
Very much Triple Play! It's exciting when it's won, but just the same, whenever it's revealed that Triple Play will be played, I always fast-forward the DVR recording because I'm ever afraid of what the result will be (oftentimes a loss on the second car, sometimes the first, maybe even the third); however, sometimes it is won, and when it is, I often end up having to rewind the recording to catch all the excitement.

Offline Davidnumber

• In the Audience
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 06:30:54 PM »
When I remember “on the spot” I’m always reminded of the time they played it and the contestant asked what was the brand of the coffee maker and Rod let out a pretty annoyed sigh which I guess was edited out in the summer rerun.

Offline CaseyBuck

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 07:44:42 PM »
A prime candidate for a pricing game flop is On The Nose, the poorly thought out attempt to spin off Hole in One, and to capitalize on the 1984 Summer Olympics.

It wasn't good television to see contestants try to throw a football through a hole, or to pop a balloon with a dart when their hand-eye coordination may not have been very good. This isn't so much a pricing game, as a physical challenge with a pricing portion tacked on.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:48:24 PM by CaseyBuck »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 11:40:36 PM »
My most vivid memory of On the Spot is the old lady who incorrectly guessed that the item that cost $35 was a toy robot, moved to another path, and guessed that the item that cost $35 was the toy robot again.

(It still wasn't $35.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline dmaingame

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 12:46:11 AM »
It's hard to consider Pick a Number a flop since it is still played and has been played much more with Drew as host than it was for the last several seasons Bob hosted.

Nobody's brought up Joker yet- It had a decent run but it was really just Shell Game with the possibility of losing despite perfect pricing and the set was one of the ugliest in the show's history besides the small prize podium. It was also very rarely played in its' later seasons.

Split Decision also could be considered a flop- didn't last long, confused some contestants leading to rule changes, and had the occasional problem with numbers falling off.

And of course the original Time is Money which only lasted a few months and only actually involved money very early on.
:  Joker was one of my favorite games in spite of the set design that looks like it was recycled from a grammar school magic show.  The spinning platform for the small prizes was a plus for Joker as well as the pricing guess format that was similar to Plinko rather than the higher/lower used in Bonus Game, Punch a Bunch, and Shell Game.

Offline deepmilk

• Outside in Line
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2019, 10:22:34 AM »
At least Bullseye 72 did eventually evolve into Clock Game.
Not sure that's accurate. Wasn't Clock Game played on the 1st episode?

Offline supersaver87

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2019, 10:26:37 AM »
Not sure that's accurate. Wasn't Clock Game played on the 1st episode?

Nope. Episode 1 was Any Number, Bonus Game, Double Prices.

Bullseye I lasted from Sep. 5-14, 1972, and Clock Game debuted on Sep. 11, 1972.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2019, 11:05:39 AM »
The only game that I saw "live" that I thought was awful was On the Spot.  Kind of a neat presentation but MAN did the game come off awkward.

Old Time is Money could be considered a flop too since the money aspect was gone almost immediately, but I enjoyed the game play.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 01:37:42 PM »
Clock Game debuted early enough in the show's run that I'd have to think it was being developed concurrently with Bullseye and just happened to use the same graphics.  Saying that Bullseye evolved into Double Bullseye would be much more accurate.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline PIRfanSince72

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2019, 10:19:17 PM »
Don't believe I saw this one mentioned yet, but Balance Game '84.  Pretty awful game in my humble opinion.

Another one I don't believe that got mentioned that sadly flopped was Add 'Em Up.  To me the game was a flop not only due to players not understanding the concept, but the anticlimactic way the game would be if it was won.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2019, 11:21:39 PM »
Don't believe I saw this one mentioned yet, but Balance Game '84.  Pretty awful game in my humble opinion.

Another one I don't believe that got mentioned that sadly flopped was Add 'Em Up.  To me the game was a flop not only due to players not understanding the concept, but the anticlimactic way the game would be if it was won.

Bullseye 84 isn't that much of a flop. It's actually a lot more interesting than the current one.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2019, 03:15:13 AM »
Bullseye 84 isn't that much of a flop. It's actually a lot more interesting than the current one.

It’s an very good idea at its core, interesting and unique. The presentation was veeeeeerrrrrry flawed. Bob had a habit of using thorough and precise language every time he explained a game’s rules. Usually that’s a plus, but in this case he made the game way more complicated than it actually was.

Bob’s explanation had too many steps to it—throwing too much info at the contestant, too fast, too soon, before the idea could be digested. When the contestant didn’t know how to play it, they basically picked items at random while Bob had to play the game in their place by walking them through every little step. It was anticlimactic.

All they had to say was “If you can get this side of the scale within $5 of the other side of the scale, you win.” Maybe even start them off with one item placed on one side by default, to give them a clue of what sort of product to aim for next.

But the core concept is unique, very “Price”, and deserved a bit more credit, especially when compared it to a game that boils down to “Pick-A-Number with better window dressing”.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline GR_Man_9009

• BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2019, 05:51:49 AM »
Don't you mean Balance Game 84 and NOT Bullseye 84?
The Big Bang Theory Rules!