Author Topic: Pricing Games by President  (Read 36472 times)

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
Re: Pricing Games by President
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 08:44:57 AM »
I'm sure the number would be a bit higher if Bob hosted longer.

Bias aside, I disagree. We have fewer pricing games because the show has so many that the demand just isn't there like it once was.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 07:13:04 PM »
Given that we already know Roger had planned to introduce five games in one week in Season 37, the idea that game production would have slowed down just as much with Bob around seems kind of silly.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 07:38:43 PM »
Given that we already know Roger had planned to introduce five games in one week in Season 37, the idea that game production would have slowed down just as much with Bob around seems kind of silly.
I know we did get Gas Money that week, and I believe you've mentioned that Do the Math was meant to be another of those five games. What were the other three supposed to be?

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2019, 08:21:50 PM »
Here's another chart showing the # of active PGs over time:

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2019, 09:59:10 PM »
I know we did get Gas Money that week, and I believe you've mentioned that Do the Math was meant to be another of those five games. What were the other three supposed to be?

Roger discussed it in an interview years ago.  I don't think he really described much beyond their names, most of which I can't remember right now.  (I know one was called "Dial It In," but that's pretty meaningless without context.)

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Always ready for that prize reveal...
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 12:01:55 AM »
You can definitely see where it "curves" in that graph, and it makes sense since they ought to keep the show fresh, but still they can just keep using older games in newer seasons. Imagine if they only played Any Number, Bonus Game, and Double Prices for the whole season!

"Dial It In" sounds like a way to make Telephone Game a little less lame. And maybe a lot less rotary. And I don't think touchscreen mobile phones were popular enough yet.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes. (Taking a breather as of April 25, 2024.)

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 01:40:55 PM »
I may be mistaken, but I believe there was a game called “Connect the Dots” as well that was part of that week.

Connect the Dots?
Dial it In
Gas Money
Do the Math
....and one other.

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2019, 02:04:29 PM »
....and one other.

Could this fifth game had been the return of Give or Keep or was the unretirement of the game not part of the five new pricing games that would have premiered had Roger not been fired.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2019, 03:40:38 PM »
Could this fifth game ha[ve] been the return of Give or Keep[?]

No.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2019, 05:15:10 PM »
The other three games that Roger had hoped to debut at the beginning of season 37 were named Connect the Dots, Dial It In, and Get the Point.

As unlikely as it is that they'll ever make it onto the show now, the concepts are still the property of FremantleMedia, so I'm not in a position to reveal how they were played.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2019, 04:05:36 PM »
This thread...

But, in all seriousness, what I initially thought was a very nonsensical topic has turned into something quite interesting.

Definitely a new standard of one game per year now. Is it possible that this might change with the incoming EP? And does anybody see a PG retirement on the horizon? (Gridlock, hopefully, but I think it's a tad too early for it right now.)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 04:08:10 PM by tpir04 »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2019, 05:02:31 PM »
The other three games that Roger had hoped to debut at the beginning of season 37 were named Connect the Dots, Dial It In, and Get the Point.

Scott, do you remember what order those games were planned to debut in?  I've been wanting to put it in the timeline, and I'd swear Roger had listed the day for each game on Stu's Show at some point, but I can find it for the life of me.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2019, 06:37:09 PM »
Scott, do you remember what order those games were planned to debut in?

I don't, sorry. Because I care only about myself, all I remember is that Do the Math was slated for Tuesday's episode.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2019, 07:06:51 PM »
Because I care only about myself,

Well, at least you can admit it. :)

Offline rowlande

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2019, 08:57:21 PM »
A large number of games were retired in season 14