Author Topic: Mike Richards named new EP for Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!  (Read 45409 times)

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
Mike Richards named new EP for Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!
« on: August 29, 2019, 03:21:22 PM »
We knew he was going to Sony but he's already landed a 2-show EP role.

"Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy!", replacing retiring EP Harry Friedman.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jeopardy-wheel-fortune-tap-price-is-right-veteran-as-ep-1235355

Changed thread title. Can we please stop with the leading thread titles and get right to the point?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 05:05:23 PM by therealcu2010 »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Mike Richards has landed...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 03:49:26 PM »
Could see this one coming.....this just confirms it. Love to see what he does with both, Wheel especially.

Online jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 04:01:20 PM »
I also saw this coming. I think Mike could bring in much needed changes at Wheel as I think Jeopardy is fine as it is. And I can't wait to see what Mike will do with both series.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 04:07:02 PM »
Congrats to Mike on his new position as EP. Eager to see what new surprises he has in store for Wheel, but I can only hope that he realizes Jeopardy is fine as is.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
Re: Mike Richards named EP of Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 05:04:13 PM »
Honestly, Mike Richards is the breath of fresh air Wheel of Fortune needs. The show has been stale as mrrp the past few years.

As for Jeopardy!, there's a massive difference between it and Price. Jeopardy! has always been a contestant and material driven format, and it doesn't really matter who hosts it. I don't see him making too many radical changes, especially while Alex is still on board.

Also, keep in mind this isn't the same producer that took over Price ten years ago. He's learned from his mistakes.

Also:
Changed thread title. Can we please stop with the leading thread titles and get right to the point?

Seriously, this is getting old. Just say what the subject of the thread is outright so people don't have to click on it to find out what it's about.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 05:07:02 PM by therealcu2010 »
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Mike Richards named new EP for Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 06:07:48 PM »
Jeopardy![/i ]...it doesn't really matter who hosts it.

I wouldn't quite say that's true. Trebek spent most of last season hosting while in severe physical pain, and nobody was the wiser until he announced his illness. There are few who could pull that off with such grace.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 06:12:09 PM »
I had a feeling this was going to happen. I wish Mike the best of luck with both shows. The more experience he got with Price, the better he got handling it and Deal. J! and Wheel are in good hands.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 06:37:51 PM »
i may have done so once, but even i'm getting tired of clickbait titles (the Bob Saget thing on AFV s20 being my example)

also, on topic, Wheel had been needing fresh blood for at least a decade

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 07:19:39 PM »
I tend to doubt either show will see significant changes for as long as their respective hosts remain in place.  J! almost certainly won’t change — outside of perhaps an updated set and/or slight theme music adjustment.  Wheel can only get better, regardless of how many changes are made.

While on the subject, I like that Richards is coming in while each host is still going strong.  He can see what works and what doesn’t in a much better environment than what he entered into with Price — making the transition to new hosts much smoother when the time comes.  In fact, I wouldn’t doubt that reason is played a big part in why Sony chose him for the role.

I have a feeling he’ll do great.

EDIT:

As for Jeopardy!, there's a massive difference between it and Price. Jeopardy! has always been a contestant and material driven format, and it doesn't really matter who hosts it. I don't see him making too many radical changes, especially while Alex is still on board.

Also, keep in mind this isn't the same producer that took over Price ten years ago. He's learned from his mistakes.

You know, if I paid attention, I would have realized you already said most of what I went on to say. :P
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 07:29:41 PM by PayingTheRent »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 07:51:05 PM »
Alex I'll take "Things Everyone Saw Coming" for $1000.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 08:28:36 PM »
It will be interesting to see if Mike really does retain the development role Sony originally promoted, or if that was just a cover while they waited for Friedman to announce his retirement.  Harry is at every taping.  I wonder if Mike would be able to keep to that schedule if he's also still their top development guy.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 09:59:38 PM »
It will be interesting to see if Mike really does retain the development role Sony originally promoted, or if that was just a cover while they waited for Friedman to announce his retirement.  Harry is at every taping.  I wonder if Mike would be able to keep to that schedule if he's also still their top development guy.
That would be interesting to see if it really was the case that they really brought Mike in to take over for Harry anticipating his retirement or if him retiring and Mike taking over was just a coincidence.

As has been said it's not likely there will be major changes on Wheel or Jeopardy while Alex and Pat and Vanna are still hosting other than perhaps some set and music changes. Wheel could certainly use a facelift of some type. Pat and Vanna are likely a few years away from leaving and I can't see either being forced out but with Alex likely to retire in the next year or two Jeopardy could be being in a similar situation that Price was in when Mike began having a new host (well 2nd year in the case of Drew) and moving from one era to the next either when he begins or a year or two after.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 10:03:20 PM by JayC »

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 10:19:51 PM »
That would be interesting to see if it really was the case that they really brought Mike in to take over for Harry anticipating his retirement or if him retiring and Mike taking over was just a coincidence.

That would be one massive coincidence.

I think it's far more likely that Sony had known for some time that Harry was planning to retire, and that whether it was they or Mike that initiated negotiations, Sony was planning for this exact scenario. It's not hard to understand why they'd want to keep Harry Friedman's retirement under wraps, given that we're talking about two of the four tentpole shows of the gameshow world.