Author Topic: The price is right board game  (Read 58844 times)

Offline plinkowin2010

• In Contestant's Row
The price is right board game
« on: September 01, 2019, 08:37:59 AM »
Is there a new price is right board game, Nintendo game, pc game, or app in the works? I am hoping for a new board game or something with all the pricing games in rotation and hopefully all retired games too?

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
Re: The price is right board game
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 02:08:33 PM »
A board game with all the pricing games can't ever come out because it would have far too many pieces.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 02:32:20 PM »
There was an unofficial game called BigJon’s Price is Right that was great and had most pricing games—Fremantle found out about it and he got C&D’d some years ago. He’s not legally allowed to distribute it any more.

No word on a video game or board game. I wouldn’t hold my breath. Board games are not exactly a booming industry. Fremantle holds majority stake in Ludia, a video game developer that made games on the Wii and Xbox 360, but they seem to be focusing most of their resources away from straight game show adaptations and towards mobile apps like branded slot/bingo games and a Jurassic World-themed Pokémon Go clone.

Check out the old TPIR board game from 2003ish. It has about 40ish games, plus enough number tiles and prizes to make pretty much any other game with a bit of ingenuity.

It’s very unlikely to have an official board/video game with all games included. The number of people who would care about having all retired games included is probably a small handful—hard to imagine enough people would care enough to justify the extra expense of making and implementing them.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 02:35:40 PM »
Milton-Bradley had two or three during the early CBS days. They had maybe around six pricing games, and to play the one-bid, participants merely had to write their bids on any strip of paper they had handy.

M-B previously made a home game in 1964 (under the supplementary name "Bid It Right") which were nothing more than two quick card games. The first was to see a prize card than deal out a bid card from a hand of cards. Object: Bid higher than the others. The other game was similar to the show, use the bid cards to bid on the prize and come closest without going over the price.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 03:08:16 PM »
Board games are not exactly a booming industry.

As a frequent board gamer and former leader of a large game group in Boston, I must strongly disagree with this statement. We're in a booming age for board games--many people like the idea of playing against other people in person and not through a video game interface. Here are two of many articles on the topic:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/13/in-golden-age-of-board-games-take-a-turn-as-host/
https://attackofthefanboy.com/articles/the-golden-age-of-board-games-continues-to-get-better-every-year/

That said, I agree it's unlikely we'd see a TPiR board game any time soon. It would require too many moving pieces to be viable. Even the video games only contained a limited number of games from the show.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 04:11:01 PM »
Yeah, I oversimplified—hobbyist games are absolutely taking off.

I was thinking of the casual, “game show board game”, “fun for the whole family” adaptations available at Target for $20, which I haven’t seen much of in a while.

Matthew Hudak, toys and games analyst with Euromonitor International, agrees, citing a recent market report that sales of games and puzzles grew by 15 percent in 2016. “It’s something that has been bubbling up for years now, but 2016 was the most influential year for board games,” he says. “It’s massive. There were more than 5,000 board games introduced into the U.S. market last year.”

According to Hudak, traditional board games are still the bulk of the market, but hobby board games, catered for adults, pushed the category’s growth to the next level. “It’s become a new go-to social activity,” he adds.

A premium game with high-quality miniatures of a wheel, a small Plinko board, IUFB price tag holders, a big Rumikub-esque display with number tiles and a bunch of game overlays, and other movable prop replicas would be really, really cool, and I’d pay a three-figure sum if it was executed well.

TPIR is a game show, after all, and most pricing games have an element of “show” that helps them play well on TV. It’s hard to fit that in a box for $20—you’re left with just the games, and I don’t know that the games are particularly strong enough to stand on their own. It’s hard to compete with a deep, layered, ever-changing strategy game like Ticket to Ride or Pandemic.

Plus, if you want to set it up, you need a lot of people (5+) to play TPIR—and one of them always has to sit out to host and set the games up. And most games only involve one other person, so everyone else is sitting and watching.

So I think if they want to compete, they have to do one of two things:

1) Use the TPIR license to make a new deep, engaging, endlessly replayable game on pricing knowledge that’s “inspired by” the show, that can compete with these new games

2) Make a limited-run, premium, high-quality game at a premium price point targeted to hardcore fans, available online—it won’t sell much, but fans will rave about it, and you can dominate that niche market of “hardcore game show fans”

What they’ve been doing is throwing together as many paper tiles and dry-erase games they can fit in a box for $20 and targeting it to the casual market. Low risk, and I assume low-reward. It gets pulled out of the box once or twice, and it’s “close enough” to the show, but I’m a huge fan and I don’t even like trying to get my friends to play it more than a few times.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 08:01:53 PM »
Milton-Bradley had two or three during the early CBS days. They had maybe around six pricing games, and to play the one-bid, participants merely had to write their bids on any strip of paper they had handy.
I owned the first two, and that's not how I remember it. I think the one-bids worked like this: each player had a set of cards numbered 1-6 and played one face down; the highest number that no one else played won. Note that most of the prices in the pricing games were pretty much random; cars could be anywhere from $1000 to $9999.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 09:35:56 PM »
I doubt that there ever will be another board game based on TPIR, but the next-best thing would be a video game, app or even a PowerPoint presentation (and I just completed one with my own spin on the various games, sets and props).

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 11:28:43 PM »
or even a PowerPoint presentation (and I just completed one with my own spin on the various games, sets and props).

Shameless self promotion.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 12:24:49 PM »

The version they had in the 1980's has 10 games (all of which still exist on the show), plus the showcases as options.  Designed for 3-5 players.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 04:39:37 PM »
I doubt that there ever will be another board game based on TPIR, but the next-best thing would be a video game, app or even a PowerPoint presentation (and I just completed one with my own spin on the various games, sets and props).
Teddy, Plinkowin2010, game surf and LiteBulb88,
    After the folks at Endless Games launched a new era of the Password board game this summer after being retired for the past several years, do not be surprised if Endless Games did a brand new board game version of The Price Is Right for next year, so it may likely happen. In fact, after I read their interview article with ToyFair online back in July, I emailed them that suggestion and I have been drafting up a proposal for a new Price Is Right board game and to give you a hint, my proposal will have 48 pricing games included (3 more than in the 2004 game by Endless) plus a Deluxe version which will have 60 or 72 pricing games and a replica of the showcase Showdown wheel.
BTW, the Super Deluxe version with 72 pricing games will likely be a Target/Walmart exclusive but I have not pitched the idea to Endless Games as of yet.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 04:44:11 PM by jaywilliams »
Jay Williams

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 04:43:57 PM »
I'm certainly excited to hear that! I'm curious: has Endless Games explicitly asked for your proposal or are you sending them a proposal "cold"? Also, have you designed any other games?

Good luck--keep us updated!

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 04:50:02 PM »
I'm certainly excited to hear that! I'm curious: has Endless Games explicitly asked for your proposal or are you sending them a proposal "cold"? Also, have you designed any other games?

Good luck--keep us updated!
No, I have not heard anything from Endless Games about it as of yet after making the suggestion to them via email back in July and I have never designed any games before so I am doing this cold and just "winging" it. This is just a computer written draft that I am doing. Travis Schario remember did the 2004 TPIR game for EG and after two DVD games and three computer/console games, we have not had a TPIR home game in almost a decade.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 04:55:39 PM by jaywilliams »
Jay Williams

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 04:59:31 PM »

Before anyone gets too excited, let me point out--jaywilliams sent an unsolicited idea to Endless Games almost two months ago, to which he's received no reply. Endless probably wouldn't respond to that for the same reason Fremantle wouldn't. If I were the legal department at a firm like them, I'd almost certainly delete jaywilliams' e-mail without reading it--it would create too many potential legal issues with intellectual capital and ownership.

More than that--just because there isn't a TPiR board game on store shelves, it doesn't mean that there's been a lack of ideas about launching one. What it means is that Endless (or whoever else may have the rights to the TPiR home game) doesn't feel that there's enough demand out in the market for one.

All that is to say, don't get your hopes up. Jaywilliams sent a proposal that Endless didn't ask for, may not be interested in, and (according to him) hasn't even acknowledged. More than likely that's all that's going to happen with this.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 05:03:19 PM »
A board game with all the pricing games can't ever come out because it would have far too many pieces.
Torgo, read my reply to Teddy, LiteBulb88 and two others above please. The folks at Endless games has brought back the Pasword board game in the past month after being in mothballs for the past five years and I would not be surprised if they did a brand new version of The Price Is Right board game next year by updating the 2004 TPIR board game that was designed by Travis Schario.
Jay Williams