Author Topic: Not really a big fan of what the price is right has become  (Read 13099 times)

Offline Redhard

• Outside in Line
Re: Not really a big fan of what the price is right has become
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 11:01:05 AM »
Does anyone do that on TV today? Why should they do it on Price?

I'm starting to think Redhard is a troll.

Having a different opinion than you does not mean I am trolling. Maybe the commercial thing is unrealistic today

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 11:21:10 AM »
Having a different opinion than you does not mean I am trolling.

You're entitled to your opinion. It's very much a minority opinion--as evidenced by the fact that the current TPiR has lasted more than five times as long as the original--but you're allowed to dislike the Barker/Carey version.

That said...why not just ignore it? As you said, the Cullen era is now being rerun on Buzzr, so there's plenty of opportunity to get your fix and relive the show as you remember it. No one's forcing you to watch the current version...right?

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2019, 11:45:40 AM »
Having a different opinion than you does not mean I am trolling. Maybe the commercial thing is unrealistic today

My problem isn't that you have a "different opinion" than me. My problem is that you're coming onto a fan board dedicated primarily to the current version of the show...and bashing everything about the current version of the show.

Another user was recently banned for doing exactly that--every single post they made was complaining about the show, which by their own admission they didn't even watch. The posts became increasingly combative and nonsensical. It added nothing to the site and was, frankly, annoying.

And SamJ93 is exactly right--if you hate it so much, why not just ignore it and enjoy the reruns on Buzzr? You're not going to convince this board to share your opinion...and when your starting position is that the IUFB rules allow cheating, or that they should bring back practices from the 1950s like in-show commercials, you're rightly going to get called out on how unrealistic and completely out of step you are with the realities of daytime TV in 2019.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:50:38 AM by ThomHuge »

Offline Redhard

• Outside in Line
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »
My problem isn't that you have a "different opinion" than me. My problem is that you're coming onto a fan board dedicated primarily to the current version of the show...and bashing everything about the current version of the show.

Another user was recently banned for doing exactly that--every single post they made was complaining about the show, which by their own admission they didn't even watch. The posts became increasingly combative and nonsensical. It added nothing to the site and was, frankly, annoying.

And SamJ93 is exactly right--if you hate it so much, why not just ignore it and enjoy the reruns on Buzzr? You're not going to convince this board to share your opinion...and when your starting position is that the IUFB rules allow cheating, or that they should bring back practices from the 1950s like in-show commercials, you're rightly going to get called out on how unrealistic and completely out of step you are with the realities of daytime TV in 2019.

This is a board about price is right. Talking about all versions is welcome. And I never said you had to agree. I do watch the reruns and I want to very much talk about how that version is better than the newer versions.

Offline Redhard

• Outside in Line
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2019, 12:57:43 PM »
You're entitled to your opinion. It's very much a minority opinion--as evidenced by the fact that the current TPiR has lasted more than five times as long as the original--but you're allowed to dislike the Barker/Carey version.

That said...why not just ignore it? As you said, the Cullen era is now being rerun on Buzzr, so there's plenty of opportunity to get your fix and relive the show as you remember it. No one's forcing you to watch the current version...right?

I haven't watched the current version ever since reruns of the original appeared. That doesn't mean I can't talk about why I prefer the original.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2019, 01:43:34 PM »
To be honest, I'm completely fine with the opinion that Cullen Price is better than New Price. You are allowed to call out the current version for being more luck based than the 50s run. If you are willing to debate gracefully that it should be part of the show, then that's up to you. You are allowed to say that the prizes given nowadays are cheaper and less varied than back then. If you are willing to debate gracefully that more varied prizes would better benefit the show, when society in general has become more utilitarian, have at it. In addition, I personally would argue that comparing the nighttime run of Cullen Price isn't a fair comparison to the daytime run of New Price; the more outlandish prizes  would have appeared on the nighttime run rather than the daytime run. You are allowed to not like the current version of the One Bid. However, calling it cheating would be similar to saying that winning the Prize Puzzle is cheating on Wheel, just because its existence creates flaw within the game. It is allowed by the rules; thus, it isn't cheating. Whether or not it is a "right" thing to do, on the other hand, is certainly up for debate.

If you want to hold onto those views, that is completely fine. You will be in a very small majority. Just make sure that you don't needlessly hijack threads, saying "Oh, if Cullen were hosting, the abomination known as Drew wouldn't have made the show unwatchable." I'm not saying that to be mean, but I've seen that view expressed time and time again with Barker, and personally, that discussion ends up going nowhere.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2019, 03:12:50 PM »
Just because its allowed doesn't mean it ain't cheating.

It’s actually exactly what it means.

Offline Redhard

• Outside in Line
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2019, 04:32:27 PM »
To be honest, I'm completely fine with the opinion that Cullen Price is better than New Price. You are allowed to call out the current version for being more luck based than the 50s run. If you are willing to debate gracefully that it should be part of the show, then that's up to you. You are allowed to say that the prizes given nowadays are cheaper and less varied than back then. If you are willing to debate gracefully that more varied prizes would better benefit the show, when society in general has become more utilitarian, have at it. In addition, I personally would argue that comparing the nighttime run of Cullen Price isn't a fair comparison to the daytime run of New Price; the more outlandish prizes  would have appeared on the nighttime run rather than the daytime run. You are allowed to not like the current version of the One Bid. However, calling it cheating would be similar to saying that winning the Prize Puzzle is cheating on Wheel, just because its existence creates flaw within the game. It is allowed by the rules; thus, it isn't cheating. Whether or not it is a "right" thing to do, on the other hand, is certainly up for debate.

If you want to hold onto those views, that is completely fine. You will be in a very small majority. Just make sure that you don't needlessly hijack threads, saying "Oh, if Cullen were hosting, the abomination known as Drew wouldn't have made the show unwatchable." I'm not saying that to be mean, but I've seen that view expressed time and time again with Barker, and personally, that discussion ends up going nowhere.

I hate the prize puzzle but it's a feature form the staff, not a contestant method. And even the primetime price is right from the 70s, 80s, and 90's all sucked compared to Mullen's run

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2019, 05:56:46 PM »
Okay, this is getting stupid.

This site is obviously focused primarily on the current version of The Price Is Right.  Coming on here on your first day as a member and trashing the entire run of the show is either trolling or idiotic.

Either way, this conversation's over, and Redhard won't be starting another one.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.