Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 12/17/2019 (TPiR Season 48 Pet Adoption Week - Day II)  (Read 9661 times)

Offline Sam daniels

• Outside in Line
Re: TPiR Recap - 12/17/2019 (TPiR Season 48 Pet Adoption Week - Day II)
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 05:33:44 PM »
Also, gamesurf and bigblue999 encapsulated my exact response to that entire post.

This episode had some nastier setups (Extremely overpriced pasta sauce and overpriced utensils, the home office computer easily being deceptive for a pricier Mac, a cheaper-looking grill where you were doomed if you didn't know about the 1-2-3 guideline or that Coach aren't that expensive, the cheapest digit being right in Roo). To be completely honest, it looked like the producers only wanted Range to be won so that we didn't have a 0/6 episode and there was potential for the trip to be forfeited. Good thing we had a well-played Roo to end the episode, and producers meddling couldn't stop the double-double spinoff.

She might as well have lost the game on purpose.

Quoting fixed by Steve, because Sam sure isn't going to.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 12:16:56 AM by SteveGavazzi »

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2019, 05:56:13 PM »
This is the first full episode I've watched in about a year. (It's America's sick day tradition, after all.)

Anthony was clearly very knowledgeable, and I felt terrible about his Bag loss. I feel like the rarity of a win in that game makes it one of the greatest pinnacles of glory for an LFAT, and he came *so* close! That his fiancée talked him out of bailing made it that much worse.

And it's because of all that that his big win on the wheel was one of the greatest redemption arcs I've ever seen on this show, if not one of the best moments in general. He needed a dollar to tie in the spin-off, got it, and then hit it again for the $25K. I was jumping up and down in my living room.

I don't watch much anymore, but today's episode reminded me why I love this show. Drew played it all up really well too.

Anthony, if you're reading this, congrats! :lol:

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2019, 06:10:58 PM »
Neisha is only the 2nd contestant in the Drew era to wipeout on her 1st attempt in Cover-Up , 12/20/12 was the other time it happened.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2019, 06:12:32 PM »
Leave that guy alone. Let's get back to the episode. No name calling and keep it civil, thanks.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2019, 06:21:09 PM »
And if I were playing Cover Up, I'd intentionally screw up the first number to guarantee 3 shots at the board. However, it's not me on stage and people don't know the strategy. Don't badmouth contestants.
Look, I have some sympathy for contestants, but this was *NOT* a good strategy. There was a 7 and an 8 and unless you know for sure that the options, or lack thereof, have or haven't affected the price, that's a poor way to go about the game this particular playing. The better play would've been to whiff the 2nd digit this time around and that's *if* you know Kia Rio's aren't as cheap as $14K which not everyone would. They simply set this playing up that made using the strategy very risky.

That said, I don't think she was employing the strategy. It's clear she was looking at someone in the audience while she made her decision. For some reason, she wasn't looking at the people she came with - who were telling her to pick 1 - and perhaps whomever she was locked on was trying to get her to go for the strategy not realizing that - either without having seen the show or hearing the options on the car which is impossible in studio in the audience - that the second digit was essentially a 50/50 shot. So, I'm not going to sit here and call this woman an idiot, but I am going to say that she made a bad decision in completely disregarding her family/friends.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2019, 09:17:01 PM »
Bag, Cover & Roo were worth the price of admission just in how rare those playings were, along with a pretty insane double dollar redemption.

I doubt she was playing the strategy in Cover, it would take one of us to know that. She just seemed overwhelmed up there and probably just mispriced. It was a weird setup where the 2nd digit wasn't free either and -9 was actually right with no 0 or 5 in there (059 is often all wrong on the last digit) - so they were trying to be nicer.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2019, 09:20:39 PM »

Also, gamesurf and bigblue999 encapsulated my exact response to that entire post.

This episode had some nastier setups (Extremely overpriced pasta sauce and overpriced utensils, the home office computer easily being deceptive for a pricier Mac, a cheaper-looking grill where you were doomed if you didn't know about the 1-2-3 guideline or that Coach aren't that expensive, the cheapest digit being right in Roo). To be completely honest, it looked like the producers only wanted Range to be won so that we didn't have a 0/6 episode and there was potential for the trip to be forfeited. Good thing we had a well-played Roo to end the episode, and producers meddling couldn't stop the double-double spinoff.

She might as well have lost the game on purpose.
There should be posts slamming them more often for the setups, but I'd get too tired of it if I did it everyday.

That said, I think they thought DP was easy and as I went into above, Cover was much easier than usual for them. And they may have thought OWP was easy too. Sometimes they really suck at evaluating their own setups.

Also I have no problem with the 16k bag being that hard when the previous four were that easy. Bag often has tricky 8k bags too, that's where I get annoyed.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Sam daniels

• Outside in Line
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2019, 10:55:27 PM »
Leave that guy alone. Let's get back to the episode. No name calling and keep it civil, thanks.

Says the guy who promotes hate speech against me because I noted the contestant's lapse of judgement.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2019, 11:11:21 PM »
Positive Drew moment - the way he has explained the Switcheroo second turn in the past there was a feeling he was basically forcing it on all the contestants. In today's playing he was very clear that it was optional and was almost begging James to stop with 3 correct.

It was also odd that the setup contained both a $49 and $50 SP. I understand they like to lazily give 1-5 now as the blocks, but there needs to be some differentiation between the prizes otherwise it really is just putting random numbers up there.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2019, 11:32:04 PM »
Says the guy who promotes hate speech against me because I noted the contestant's lapse of judgement.

I have not promoted a single thing of hate speech against you. If you wish to tell it to my face, I will give you my address and you can deal with it there.

Otherwise, don't portray me as doing something I'm not. I just said don't badmouth contestants.

I'm in an incredibly lousy depression-based mood right now. Don't make me angry.

Offline Sam daniels

• Outside in Line
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2019, 11:34:23 PM »
I have not promoted a single thing of hate speech against you. If you wish to tell it to my face, I will give you my address and you can deal with it there.

Otherwise, don't portray me as doing something I'm not. I just said don't badmouth contestants.

You literally told everyone to not reply to me. Don't gatekeep and quit promoting hate speech. Its hiding behind a keyboard and it is an act of cowardice.

Like I said, I can call out about how the contestant performed a dumb action.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2019, 11:40:11 PM »
You literally told everyone to not reply to me. Don't gatekeep and quit promoting hate speech. Its hiding behind a keyboard and it is an act of cowardice.

Like I said, I can call out about how the contestant performed a dumb action.

I told them to stop replying to you. I never said anything incivil. I've been trying to keep this as civil as possible. That's not hate speech. Under the definition of hate speech - "abusive or threatening speech or writing that expresses prejudice against a particular group, especially on the basis of race, religion, or sexual orientation." That's not's hate speech by definition.

And you're not allowed to insult contestants. I have a right to lock this thread and I will use it if I have to.

Offline Sam daniels

• Outside in Line
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2019, 11:42:55 PM »
I told them to stop replying to you. I never said anything incivil. I've been trying to keep this as civil as possible. That's not hate speech. Under the definition of hate speech - "abusive or threatening speech or writing that expresses prejudice against a particular group, especially on the basis of race, religion, or sexual orientation." That's not's hate speech by definition.

And you're not allowed to insult contestants. I have a right to lock this thread and I will use it if I have to.

It is hate speech when you threaten punishment to those who talk to me.

I called out a bad choice the contestant did. I'm allowed to do that. You are not allowed to prevent me from voicing a constructive opinion.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2019, 11:45:09 PM »
That is literally not hate speech, buddy. We’re done here.

Adam, myself...whoever, will unlock this discussion once our friend here has been sent off to the Franches Mountains.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2019, 12:17:54 AM »
Holy good Lord.

Thread is open.  Sam is gone.  Discuss away, guys.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.