Author Topic: Family Feud Canada  (Read 8275 times)

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
Re: Family Feud Canada
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 02:28:31 PM »
We have a contender for funniest game show blooper of the year:

I don't know what's worst, her answer or the fact 54 people know who Popeye is.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 02:49:14 PM »
We have a contender for funniest game show blooper of the year:

Wow. This show is worse than Steve Harvey’s Family Feud, and that’s saying a lot.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 04:31:54 PM »

I'd be willing to guess the other 46 people said "Hamburgers" (which we know is associated with Wimpy, but I'd think those other 46 take Popeye eating spinach for granted).
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 06:35:48 PM »

To be fair, Popeye isn’t as easily recognizable as say Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 06:44:53 PM »
Wow. This show is worse than Steve Harvey’s Family Feud, and that’s saying a lot.

That's a little bit of hyperbole there. EVERY version of Family Feud has had contestants give real dum-dum answers, so this is nothing new.

I'm a HUGH fan of every version of Popeye cartoons (I watch them all on Amazon Prime Video), but even I'll admit that aside from Cartoon Network/Boomerang Popeye hasn't been widely shown on television since the 1990s.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 06:52:17 PM »
That's a little bit of hyperbole there. EVERY version of Family Feud has had contestants give real dum-dum answers, so this is nothing new.

I'm a HUGH fan of every version of Popeye cartoons (I watch them all on Amazon Prime Video), but even I'll admit that aside from Cartoon Network/Boomerang Popeye hasn't been widely shown on television since the 1990s.

No, I mean this version has this expensive-looking set but a top prize of $10,000. And it’s primetime. And the host ain’t Steve Harvey, even though Harvey gets on my nerves.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2020, 06:56:51 PM »
then wouldn't a non-steve harvey host actually be a plus?

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2020, 08:27:53 PM »
then wouldn't a non-steve harvey host actually be a plus?

It is for me. Steve Harvey started out as a great host, but his schtick has gotten old for me. Gerry Dee's hosting style reminds me of Ray Combs, who is just slightly under Dawson as my favorite Feud host. That's a good thing. 

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2020, 12:51:04 AM »
That question was actually the fourth attempt at Sudden Death...

"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2020, 03:06:12 AM »
That question was actually the fourth attempt at Sudden Death...

That was even better than the clip itself....nice joke question too....I think Dawson did that same one once long ago didn't he? I recall something like it at least.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2020, 03:56:58 AM »
As a fellow 'Toban I'm ashamed she said that! Lol! To make matters worst Gerry eventually mocked her which she deserved! It may be the Canadian version but the routine is the same. A contestant giving a relatively dumb answer there! Lol!

Offline lejusteprix

• 12/14/2015
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2020, 07:30:10 AM »
No, I mean this version has this expensive-looking set but a top prize of $10,000. And it’s primetime. And the host ain’t Steve Harvey, even though Harvey gets on my nerves.

I don't think that's entirely fair.  You have a publicly funded broadcaster in CBC who has specific limits on what they can spend on programming and they're giving their first adult game show a go in thirty years.  In addition they visited 12 out of 13 provinces and territories so that they could get a balance of players from across the country.  Plus all teams have their travel expenses paid.  I went and saw a taping before the launch and the team that won the game but lost fast money was thrilled just to have been there and won some pocket money.  My friend and I who attended that taping helped a second team who didn't tape that session back to the hotel where they were staying (again, covered by the network) down the road from the CBC.  Teams are flying from as far as 5,000 kilometres away and I'm sure it's a bit of a relief that they don't have to pay for their flights.  As someone who once flew 6,000 kms one way on my own dime to be on a show I am well aware of game show contestant costs!

Yes it is a $10,000 jackpot but it was never meant to be competing with Harvey's version.  The "primetime" run was merely for two weeks in December and it has now moved to M-Th at 7:30 pm local.  I think Gerry Dee is doing just fine and I feel that it's nice to have questions that are a bit more family friendly than other versions on the show.  This is Gerry's first time hosting a game show and like anything it takes time to get adjusted. 

Heading back to another taping today and can't wait!

Ryan :)

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2020, 08:35:10 AM »
I don't think that's entirely fair.  You have a publicly funded broadcaster in CBC who has specific limits on what they can spend on programming and they're giving their first adult game show a go in thirty years.  In addition they visited 12 out of 13 provinces and territories so that they could get a balance of players from across the country.

Who got left out: Newfoundland and Labrador or Nunavut? I'm sure we'll get a family from P.E.I. soon enough.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2020, 08:45:01 AM »
Stupidity gets rewarded: Popeyes Fried Chicken is giving the family $10,000 in free food for that blunder.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2020, 10:47:22 AM »
Yes it is a $10,000 jackpot but it was never meant to be competing with Harvey's version.  The "primetime" run was merely for two weeks in December and it has now moved to M-Th at 7:30 pm local. 

Why does it not air Friday's? Just curious, since the typical US schedule goes Mon-Fri. As a sidenote on competing BTW, idk how common this would be elsewhere in the States where the CBC feed is available, but Feud here in the Detroit market actually runs head to head with Harvey Feud. I'm slightly curious which version would do better. I suspect Harvey though, probably wouldn't even be close.