Author Topic: Worst playings of pricing games  (Read 14844 times)

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Worst playings of pricing games
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 06:22:14 PM »
This Cover Up playing from Christmas week 2012 (link: gets my vote. You could argue that some type of strategy was trying to be used, but the rarity simply makes it the worst to me. I've looked high and low, but I can't find another such wipeout. If there is another one, let me know.

Contestant- "Oh, I guess it costs about...$11,000."
Bob- "OK...well, then what do you think the first number in the price is?"
Contestant- "A one!"
Bob- (looks at studio audience and then into the cameras) "I hate this. I hate to do this to him, but now I have to show him. He says one. What's the first number?"

The first number is revealed to be a nine. The contestant has lost on the first guess, for the first time ever...something I'm sure Bob made a point of mentioning just then

If it happened exactly as you said, that's a bit harsh for Bob to have allowed the guess. It's one thing I'd the player simply said 1. It's entirely different if you hear the player's line of reasoning AND know that what they're saying directly contradicts their logic.

There were plenty of Ten Chances playings where the contestant would start the car with an 8 and Bob would say something highlighting their error. It shouldn't be any different. Either way, that player gets to live infamously in the record books. :-D

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 06:39:04 PM »
If there is another [Cover Up wipeout], let me know.

It happened just a couple of months ago:

Jump to 17:00 to see the Cover Up disaster playing.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 06:45:47 PM »
The last playing of Split Decision. The contestant makes a first somewhat educated guess, then decides to waste almost the rest of his time fumbling around and ended up with the same guess as his first guess.

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2020, 06:55:55 PM »
It happened just a couple months ago:

Oh wow, I would never had thought it happened again since 2012, let alone this season! This one is arguably worse, considering she was going to pick the 1 at first.

Offline rockyboy34

• In the Audience
  • This gives me life.
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2020, 06:56:17 PM »
It happened just a couple of months ago:

Jump to 17:00 to see the Cover Up disaster playing.

Probably my pick for the worst playing I've seen in recent years.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2020, 08:47:01 PM »
Jacqueline's One Away playing on 1990. I'm pretty sure you all know what happened there:

And this infamous playing of Any Number by what Drew dubbed as Mr. 1-2-3.

Videos courtesy of pressmin.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2020, 09:06:56 PM »
At the one taping I attended, aired June 8th, 2004:  the worst Race Game playing I'd ever seen, with the lady wasting half the allotted time just setting up her first guesses for each prize, then, after finding she had 2 right, wasting the remaining time switching the wrong two. 

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2020, 09:27:31 PM »
This Cover Up playing from Christmas week 2012 (link: gets my vote. You could argue that some type of strategy was trying to be used, but the rarity simply makes it the worst to me. I've looked high and low, but I can't find another such wipeout. If there is another one, let me know.

If it happened exactly as you said, that's a bit harsh for Bob to have allowed the guess. It's one thing I'd the player simply said 1. It's entirely different if you hear the player's line of reasoning AND know that what they're saying directly contradicts their logic.

My question would be like what Tice asked, why would Bob NOT point out ahead of that that there were only 4 doors to be opened, and not 5, thus rendering a price of $11,000 impossible? Would S&P have really been that tough on a situation like that?

I also don't think incidentally that the comparison to him saying there was 5 digits in the price later or that a car was over $10,000, really is a fair one in that anytime he did (outside of a game like 3 Strikes or One Away), you would get a digit, the 1st one typically, for free anyway. So would sorta render that whole aspect moot.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 09:32:56 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2020, 10:31:38 PM »
One that sticks out in my mind is a Ten Chances playing from 2006 which was played really badly... but won anyway! Chance #9, in particular, was a hilarious train wreck! And then Bob's disbelief at the end when she miraculously won :oldlol:!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2020, 10:34:08 PM »
One that sticks out in my mind is a Ten Chances playing from 2006 which was played really badly... but won anyway! Chance #9, in particular, was a hilarious train wreck! And then Bob's disbelief at the end when she miraculously won :oldlol:!

"You've used the 1 twice Joy!"

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2020, 10:38:21 PM »
That one's on Youtube for your viewing, umm, "pleasure"...

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2020, 10:52:31 PM »
One that sticks out to me is the Grocery Game playing on the 10th Million Dollar Spectacular with the contestant losing buying 25 Bruce's yams. Brandi who was running the cash register could not even enter that many in because the register only allowed up to 20 of an item to be entered.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2020, 11:05:25 PM »
A couple more that deserve an honorable mention include a contestant stuggling with Make Your Move in December of 1998 (felt a little bad for her but it still was no good) and definitely Mohini's efforts playing Super Ball!!  That was late in 1991, about a year before the game's only perfect playing and over six years before it was never played again.  Forget that the game was too long to play (even though I still love it), but Mohini's performance might have been more than enough for the game to get retired right after that!
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2020, 11:53:43 PM »
Adding on that I think the Lucky Seven playing I’ve been talking about is from the October 22, 1982 show.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2020, 12:04:17 AM »
Don't you all remember Bryan from 1999 playing Clock Game?