Author Topic: What if Bob had hosted The Nighttime PIR in 1985.....  (Read 12670 times)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: What if Bob had hosted The Nighttime PIR in 1985.....
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 01:37:18 PM »
Fair point both TJW and TTD existed, albeit in the winding down stage. I believe both had run their course. Host changes may not have helped, but likely neither would have had a substantially different outcome.

Well, maybe TTD wouldn’t have had that wretched set change. Yikes.

But as for weekly Price, there was effectively zero market for weekly syndication. No longer an option.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 01:44:28 PM »
Fair point both TJW and TTD existed, albeit in the winding down stage. I believe both had run their course. Host changes may not have helped, but likely neither would have had a substantially different outcome.

But as for weekly Price, there was effectively zero market for weekly syndication. No longer an option.

Yeah I couldn't see that at all working. If anything had the 86 summer series done better for CBS than it did, coulda seen perhaps more of those like what we got in Bob's final years and beyond (albeit sporadically ever since 2008). I don't imagine it'd have been weekly though, but something akin to what was done later here and there. I can't imagine CBS would want to take away the possibility of those either following those original 6 specials, by introducing a syndicated run.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 02:10:11 PM »
Would there have been room for it though? Even after 86 when many shows either left after 1 year or after more? Once a week really wasn't the thing anymore by this time mind you. That had left pretty much around the time the original Nighttime Price went off the air in 80. I think Match Game PM was really the only other one that went just once a week after that (well maybe Name that Tune as well), and it (and Tune) were both gone by the following year. Everything else I think was daily strips. Once Feud and I guess could say Match Game started that trend in 79, everyone else followed suit. Could even argue TJW and TTD had a hand in that from the year before, but I think was more those two.

I believe that the last new weekly game show (at that time) was *shudder* Camouflage from Chuck Barris in 1980, which replaced 3's a Crowd after it's abrupt cancelation. Emerging shows like The Joker's Wild, Tic Tac Dough and PM/Evening Magazine were starting to kill off weekly prime access game shows. Even Family Feud went to daily by 1979.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 02:19:24 PM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2020, 02:21:21 PM »
I believe that the last new weekly game show (at that time) was *shudder* Camouflage from Chuck Barris in 1980, which replaced 3's a Crowd after it's abrupt cancelation. Emerging shows like The Joker's Wild, Tic Tac Dough and PM/Evening Magazine were starting to kill off weekly prime access game shows. Even Family Feud went to daily by 1979.

Yeah Feud was the big one of this time I think, that kinda set the standard for others. It had started going that way from 78 if you remember, going from once a week, to twice, then daily from there.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2020, 02:37:38 PM »
From what I've read, the new set would've happened in the fall of '85 no matter who hosted, since the one in use since '78 was supposedly falling apart.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2020, 02:40:53 PM »
From what I've read, the new set would've happened in the fall of '85 no matter who hosted, since the one in use since '78 was supposedly falling apart.

Was this ever seen on air at all to anyone's knowledge?

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2020, 02:42:24 PM »
Ah, never read that. Nevertheless, the design choices were...jarring.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2020, 03:26:53 PM »
Was this ever seen on air at all to anyone's knowledge?
Pretty sure a logo sign that had been on the set somewhere had been removed around 1984 or so, so you could count that, in a sense.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2020, 05:27:00 PM »

Gotta respect that.   I might have a pretty good memory, but 3.5 decades ago is still so long ago.  Guess that answers Pricefan's question as to where a weekly price would fit.  Just thought of the options to make a primetime Price work (with Barker).  In the end, it just didn't work out, and that's fine, especially based on the future of the franchise.  TPIR evolved, and Kennedy's career didn't take a hit at all.  In fact his run added to it.  Would've been rather neat to have seen how a SYN Price with Tom Kennedy looked in 1994-1995 or 2005-2006 (any future season parallel to the daytime run).

Yeah, that TTD set didn't need to happen.  Outside of safety reasons, of course (fair enough for the upgrade).  I remember not liking it as it wasn't TTD to me.  But it wasn't too drastic; ended up respecting it later on.  Never really thought of it falling apart.  Must've just been coincidence with Martindale's exit;  TWJ set was upgraded about half a decade earlier with Jack still there.

In response to Pricefan's comments on the emcees, I'll never forget the times the judge came on the air whenever Cullen errored.  Never thought anything of it at the time, but it happened several times.  Probably not easy to tune into whenever I rewatch Bill's run, but he is the dean of GS hosts & still handled it with class
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2020, 09:30:08 AM »
I know we are veering OT, but I can’t help but wonder if Geoff Edwards was ever considered by Dan Enright to take over TJW after Jack’s death.  They seemed to have a good relationship on Play the Percentages and Geoff certainly seemed to enjoy the B&E staff on that show.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2020, 12:31:36 PM »
I know we are veering OT, but I can’t help but wonder if Geoff Edwards was ever considered by Dan Enright to take over TJW after Jack’s death.  They seemed to have a good relationship on Play the Percentages and Geoff certainly seemed to enjoy the B&E staff on that show.

I always thought that Jim Peck was being groomed to replace Jack...until someone at Barry/Enright remembered that they still had Bill Cullen under contract.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2020, 12:43:58 PM »
I always thought that Jim Peck was being groomed to replace Jack...until someone at Barry/Enright remembered that they still had Bill Cullen under contract.

I've often heard that B&E wanted Peck less than Jack did. Maybe that's not true though, if this was the case.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2020, 02:20:56 PM »
I've often heard that B&E wanted Peck less than Jack did. Maybe that's not true though, if this was the case.

That's what I heard as well.  Peck was slated to replace Barry upon retirement, but those plans changed soon after his death and before the 1984-1985 season.  I guess it was a combination of both; I don't think Jim did bad when he filled in for Jack, but I don't think I would've enjoyed TJW as much as I did if Peck was the eventual replacement
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2020, 02:56:41 PM »
Peck was slated to replace Barry upon retirement, but those plans changed soon after his death and before the 1984-1985 season.
And from what I understand, the fact that those plans changed was supposedly the catalyst for Richard S. Kline (the director, not the actor) walking out from B&E and forming Kline and Friends.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2020, 06:04:13 PM »
I wonder would a Nighttime version lasted if the Daytime version wasn't an hour long?

I could see it lasting a few years with Bob.