Author Topic: What if Bob had hosted The Nighttime PIR in 1985.....  (Read 12671 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: What if Bob had hosted The Nighttime PIR in 1985.....
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2020, 05:00:50 AM »
I'm not saying she didn't, but I'm guessing what clinched the Password Plus job for Tom was the fact that Allen himself personally recommended him for it.

Interesting, not sure I remember hearing that. I imagine he said it in his interview though. Also spoke the YDS business....going so far as to say he had to change hosting position early in the original run from in center in between the two teams, to on their right so it'd look less like Password than it did when it debuted.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2020, 05:55:05 AM »
I'm not saying she didn't, but I'm guessing what clinched the Password Plus job for Tom was the fact that Allen himself personally recommended him for it.

You're probably right and for good reason: Tom was good, one of my top five picks for best all-around game show host of all time (Along with Trebek, Edwards, Barry and Cullen) because he was comfortable hosting any type of game show format.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2020, 10:40:53 AM »
EDIT: Nevermind this...I was thinking Tom and Bill hosted quite a many shows between them, more than any others by far, but looking at Tom's resume, it's smaller than I thought. Maybe it just feels like he had as many, because like Bill, sans the original YDS in the 60's (well and Name that Tune too as I think about it), most of his shows were fairly short-lived. So his hosting career woulda mirrored his a bit that way.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 10:44:30 AM by pricefan18 »

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2020, 11:45:21 AM »
Not too long after Nighttime PIR completed production in 1986, Marc Breslow was fired as director of the daytime version.  I've often wondered who would've directed the Nighttime version, had it gone for another season.

If Bob had hosted Nighttime from 1985-86, I fear the Barker/Breslow trouble might have come to a head even sooner.  (Though from what I've read on here, it was brewing for awhile already.) 

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2020, 12:45:46 PM »
My guess is that it would've been Paul Alter, or maybe even Bart Eskander (I believe he was on the staff during the Marc Breslow Era and prior to the Alter run)
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2020, 10:48:44 PM »
Given that Paul Alter would take over as director of the daytime show, I think he would also do the nighttime run if a second season had been ordered. Although later on in the decade, he'd really have his hands full with both versions of TPIR, Bob Eubanks'/Gerry Rafferty's Card Sharks and Ray Combs' Family Feud (the latter two of which would actually see daytime and nighttime runs as well).

My guess is that even in 1972, Barker and Breslow never got along that well either.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2020, 11:01:56 PM »
Given that Paul Alter would take over as director of the daytime show, I think he would also do the nighttime run if a second season had been ordered. Although later on in the decade, he'd really have his hands full with both versions of TPIR, Bob Eubanks'/Gerry Rafferty's Card Sharks and Ray Combs' Family Feud (the latter two of which would actually see daytime and nighttime runs as well).

That should be Bill Rafferty as to Card Sharks.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2020, 01:11:34 AM »
That should be Bill Rafferty as to Card Sharks.
My apologies. I knew it was somebody with the last name Rafferty, but I somehow got the nighttime host mixed up with the Baker Street singer.

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2020, 08:14:36 AM »
My guess is that it would've been Paul Alter, or maybe even Bart Eskander (I believe he was on the staff during the Marc Breslow Era and prior to the Alter run)

Also a small chance -- maybe very small, but still ...

Marc Breslow would have continued to direct the nighttime Tom Kennedy version, had it gone a second season.  Barker wasn't executive producer of that show (not in its first & only season, anyway) and Breslow could've stayed on, directing Kennedy and avoiding Barker. 

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2020, 11:31:20 AM »
Also a small chance -- maybe very small, but still ...

Marc Breslow would have continued to direct the nighttime Tom Kennedy version, had it gone a second season.  Barker wasn't executive producer of that show (not in its first & only season, anyway) and Breslow could've stayed on, directing Kennedy and avoiding Barker.

Larry, sorry for the belated response.  I came across this recently and am seeing that you quoted or replied to me.   There is some validity that Breslow could’ve stuck around longer within another season of primetime Price, based on Frank Wayne being in charge.  However, Barker wasn’t the EP yet on the daytime version when Marc was let go.  Mr. Goodson might have stuck with consistency and had Alter direct both.

With the Executive Producer talk that I brought up, I often wondered what would’ve happened with Kennedy had the show lasted until, say, 1990.  Bob would’ve been the EP with Tom hosting in the final 2 years plus, but If I had to guess, Barker would’ve taken over as in the last year or two (similar to the 70s).  Which would’ve been no big deal given the fact that Tom retired or would’ve been done whether or not he was retained in 1988-1989 had the show lasted 5 years

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2020, 12:06:15 PM »

Larry, sorry for the belated response.  I came across this recently and am seeing that you quoted or replied to me.   There is some validity that Breslow could’ve stuck around longer within another season of primetime Price, based on Frank Wayne being in charge.  However, Barker wasn’t the EP yet on the daytime version when Marc was let go.  Mr. Goodson might have stuck with consistency and had Alter direct both.

With the Executive Producer talk that I brought up, I often wondered what would’ve happened with Kennedy had the show lasted until, say, 1990.  Bob would’ve been the EP with Tom hosting in the final 2 years plus, but If I had to guess, Barker would’ve taken over as in the last year or two (similar to the 70s).  Which would’ve been no big deal given the fact that Tom retired or would’ve been done whether or not he was retained in 1988-1989 had the show lasted 5 years

Tom in his interview a few years back, said his phone effectively stopped ringing around then, forcing him into retirement more than him choosing to. He even did a pilot with Vicki Lawrence around that time to try get back in the game (no pun intended), but of course it wasn't picked up. This begs the question.....HAD Nighttime Price stuck around those 5 years, would Tom have still retired?

I have to think the interest in him mighta been bigger having had that success with what was already a well-established show for years prior to him, vs. being on and off in a year, although that could be wrong.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2020, 03:59:27 PM »
Tom in his interview a few years back, said his phone effectively stopped ringing around then, forcing him into retirement more than him choosing to. He even did a pilot with Vicki Lawrence around that time to try get back in the game (no pun intended), but of course it wasn't picked up. This begs the question.....HAD Nighttime Price stuck around those 5 years, would Tom have still retired?

I have to think the interest in him mighta been bigger having had that success with what was already a well-established show for years prior to him, vs. being on and off in a year, although that could be wrong.

Despite their past history, you’d think Mark Goodson would want to keep Tom around if a successful nighttime PIR was just that.  I could’ve seen it either way, whether Kennedy makes it through 5 years or not.  The thing is Bob would’ve seen that success, and given the success of the daytime show, he would’ve replaced Tom with himself so as to be the face of both versions.  Kennedy would’ve gotten a proper send-off, given what he’s done, as I doubt it would’ve been him leaving on bad terms.  Just more in the line of it being a business decision. 

Either way, I think he would’ve retired right after that.  It was tough for a lot of people to get work in the gameshow field as everyone wanted to go with someone younger or just a lesser known up and coming talent.  Or a comedian.  Many of the former hosts that I grew up with had either passed or retired by that point.  As mentioned, the gameshow era died down compared what it once was.  By the late 80s into the early 90s, it was all about Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, and Price is Right

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2020, 04:28:04 PM »

Despite their past history, you’d think Mark Goodson would want to keep Tom around if a successful nighttime PIR was just that.  I could’ve seen it either way, whether Kennedy makes it through 5 years or not.  The thing is Bob would’ve seen that success, and given the success of the daytime show, he would’ve replaced Tom with himself so as to be the face of both versions.  Kennedy would’ve gotten a proper send-off, given what he’s done, as I doubt it would’ve been him leaving on bad terms.  Just more in the line of it being a business decision. 

Either way, I think he would’ve retired right after that.  It was tough for a lot of people to get work in the gameshow field as everyone wanted to go with someone younger or just a lesser known up and coming talent.  Or a comedian.  Many of the former hosts that I grew up with had either passed or retired by that point.  As mentioned, the gameshow era died down compared what it once was.  By the late 80s into the early 90s, it was all about Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, and Price is Right

Could say Feud was still in there too till it went off, but that was it for many years for sure.