Author Topic: game shows generally considered subpar that are guilty pleasures for you  (Read 8881 times)

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
One example for me would be the 1986-87 Crosswits.  I do agree David Sparks was a much lesser host than Jack Clark, and the extra car game bonus, while interesting when played, did have a tacked on feeling.  But overall the gameplay was solid, and I liked the set more in this version, especially the color coding for each possible puzzle topic and the Crossfire round.  Young me did eagerly await it each night of its original run, and I guess that means it did something right all in all. 

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
"Shop Til You Drop" was a serious addiction of mine earlier in life, and I still enjoyed watching it when GSN reran it a few years back.

Whether it's sub-par can be a subject of debate, but I'd happily binge out on "Talk About" if given the chance.

I did watch the few episodes of fellow Canadian show "Guess What" on YouTube; it's actually an interesting format (even if somewhat cut-and-dry). Robin Ward seemed to be a little more at ease there than on the 1980 "To Tell the Truth" (and you gotta love his K-Tel Records references on the musical snippet questions).

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
Wheel of Fortune isn't exactly the most-liked game show anymore but it's still my number one.  :-D

I also enjoy watching Wheel 2000 and Jep! online. I have fond memories of watching Wheel 2000 when it was originally on CBS, but I never got to watch Jep! because I didn't get GSN back then.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Nick Arcade is pretty divisive among the game show community but I have fond memories of it growing up. That set and the Video Zone were awesome.

My latest one is Buzz! with Annie Wood. It quickly became one of my habits on Buzzr. Shame it's only on at 2:00 a.m. now and it may be going by the wayside in a matter of weeks.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour. Despite the lame format and Bauman's hosting, it's still interesting to watch.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
One example for me would be the 1986-87 Crosswits.  I do agree David Sparks was a much lesser host than Jack Clark, and the extra car game bonus, while interesting when played, did have a tacked on feeling.  But overall the gameplay was solid, and I liked the set more in this version, especially the color coding for each possible puzzle topic and the Crossfire round.  Young me did eagerly await it each night of its original run, and I guess that means it did something right all in all.

Cross-Wits was fine. Less celebrities would make it better.

Also, Quiz Kids Challenge here. All day everyday.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline tpirguyMN

• In the Audience
Legends of the Hidden Temple!  Although I hope there isn't anyone out there that thinks it is subpar.  :-P  It's a shame it only lasted three seasons. 

The mid-90's - what a time to be a kid! :-D

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
I have a couple: Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego?  And Guts!
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
I liked the old video game show Starcade, as well as Carmen Sandiego.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Subpar might not apply, but Whammy was and is a favorite of mine.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
Family Challenge (the Ray Combs 1995-96 season only) wins it for me thanks to memorizing every single airdate for all 65 episodes (plus the Ice Capades special) that were made.

Second place will go to Match Game 90 (the 1990-91 Ross Shafer ABC version).

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
I actually enjoyed the two episodes of Mindreaders I saw. I would love to see the whole run of the show. Ditto for The Better Sex.

"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Online pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
I liked the old video game show Starcade, as well as Carmen Sandiego.

I'd hardly call those shows subpar, though Where In Time? is up for debate.

But for me personally, I'd say Bullseye (especially Celebrity Bullseye) should be up there, despite the broken mechanic that can allow for any contestant to win without giving their opponent a chance. The set is cool, as is the theme, wheel, host, and Bonus Island. 

The Bullseye formats of Feud were something I thought actually made it better since it was like an extra "Game" built into the show, along with the potential of having a bigger game, even if most people disagree, and this was even what I thought when I saw it first-run as a kid.

Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Buzzr bringing it back last year reminded me how much I enjoyed Split Second '86. The question writing was a bit sloppy, and Monty Hall was seriously out-of-his-depth trying to host a hard quiz. But the format was still solid, and the Countdown Round could still produce some of the most nail-biting finishes ever.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
2 of mine:  Face the Music and Play the Percentages.  Both subpar, but I love both of them.