Author Topic: Rumor: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV?  (Read 6822 times)

Offline djsquare

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • tpirmodels.com
Rumor: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV?
« on: July 17, 2020, 08:42:08 AM »
Saw this rumor on Facebook this morning, then I searched for more info and found this on gameshowforum.org

According to a recent Facebook post from an apparent high-ranking official at Pluto TV, it looks like a collab between CBSViacom and Fremantle may be in the works to finally bring Barker-era The Price is Right back to TV.

There was a recent post on the Pluto TV Viewers and Fans Facebook group, asking if BUZZR could air Barker TPIR and Wheel of Fortune.

After the obligatory explanation of why that’s not happening at the moment, and some other comments requesting shows that probably aren’t realistic ATM, a poster named Amy Beth Kuessner commented that Pluto will soon be adding a 24/7 Bob Barker channel. Amy is Pluto’s Senior VP of Content Strategy & Global Partnerships according to her LinkedIn, and she has leaked info in the past to the group about forthcoming content on Pluto that proved to be accurate.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Rumor: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 10:34:39 AM »
Hmm, certainly an interesting development if it is infact true and it's just a matter of working out rights issues and anything else necessary.

So the question would then be which seasons do they plan on streaming? My gut feeling would be just the most recent Bob seasons or even just season 35.

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 11:11:30 AM »
Sure am hoping this pans out.  If it does, really hoping they include episodes from the '70s and '80s. 

Speaking of which: I'm wishing very, very hard there's no we-can't-air-that-episode-because:

* Holly is in it
* Dian is in it
* Janice is in it
* Kathleen is in it
* Marc Breslow directed it
* There's a fur coat in it
* Rod Roddy is in it
* There's a showcase skit with popular music in it

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 02:48:14 PM »
Speaking of which: I'm wishing very, very hard there's no we-can't-air-that-episode-because:
* Rod Roddy is in it

I missed that memo...why not include them? Friction between Bob and Rod? Problems with Rod's estate?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 04:21:00 PM »
I missed that memo...why not include them? Friction between Bob and Rod? Problems with Rod's estate?

I assume it means the salary dispute Rod and Bob had after the Primetime Specials in Season 30 (which if you remember Rod only announced on 3 of them or half because of this reason), which led to Rod's camera time being cut after that, and only a single mention of Rod in Bob's later book as one of the announcers.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 04:22:45 PM »
IIRC the rumor was Bob wanted to be the sole "star" of the show after Janice & Kathleen were fired in 2000.

When the did the 30th Anniversary specials in Vegas, Bob told Rod & the models they would only be paid scale for their work (the rate people just breaking into the business would make), and Rod was very offended and disputed that as a 20 year veteran he deserved more.

Rod fought it and got the salary he requested, so Bob cut Rod's camera time in response.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 04:24:57 PM »
Pluto TV is such an off-the-wall place to put Bob Barker episodes that I almost have to believe this rumor is actually plausible.  No one is jumping off CBS daytime to go watch Pluto TV, but there is enough of a niche audience (plus those who watch Pluto because it’s, you know, free) that ViacomCBS would profit off such a venture, much like Fremantle (and possibly CBS to some extent) profits off our Price is Right YouTube videos.  It’s basically free money and is under the complete control of the parent network.  Seems like a pretty brilliant plan to me.

In the off-chance we do get some Barker repeats as filler this fall on CBS, this might be a good way for the network to plug Pluto TV.  “Hey, if you like watching these old TPiR episodes, then you’ll want to check out our free streaming service that’s playing TPiR 24/7!”

I can see that.

I recall reading something about their relationship being a bit contentious in the few years leading up to Rod’s passing.  I could be totally wrong about that, it’s been many years since I recall seeing this.

That said, I don’t think any friction that might have existed then would prevent episodes with Rod from appearing now.

And gamesurf snipes in confirming this. 🥴😝
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 04:27:42 PM »
IIRC the rumor was Bob wanted to be the sole "star" of the show after Janice & Kathleen were fired in 2000.

When the did the 30th Anniversary specials in Vegas, Bob told Rod & the models they would only be paid scale for their work (the rate people just breaking into the business would make), and Rod was very offended and disputed that as a 20 year veteran he deserved more.

Rod fought it and got the salary he requested, so Bob cut Rod's camera time in response.

Was it really the Vegas show? I thought it was the military ones in the summer.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 04:31:27 PM »
Pluto TV is such an off-the-wall place to put Bob Barker episodes that I almost have to believe this rumor is actually plausible.  No one is jumping off CBS daytime to go watch Pluto TV, but there is enough of a niche audience (plus those who watch Pluto because it’s, you know, free) that ViacomCBS would profit off such a venture, much like Fremantle (and possibly CBS to some extent) profits off our Price is Right YouTube videos.  It’s basically free money and is under the complete control of the parent network.  Seems like a pretty brilliant plan to me.

In the off-chance we do get some Barker repeats as filler this fall on CBS, this might be a good way for the network to plug Pluto TV.  “Hey, if you like watching these old TPiR episodes, then you’ll want to check out our free streaming service that’s playing TPiR 24/7!”

I can see that.

You know......this may be part of the reason for all this......if they need old content anyway.....why not kill two birds with one stone and go all out with it? Probably easy way to get around any copyright issues/talent issues maybe too, since it'd be streaming? Potentially?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 04:32:27 PM »
I also wonder how much consideration if any CBS is giving to putting classic TPiR with Bob on CBS All Access. Maybe having some on Pluto is a test to see what kind of viewership the episodes would get if they put it on a pay service.

I remember for a while it was stated Fremantle had a policy against having the announcers on camera and that's why Rod wasn't on camera anymore, but that was later said to not be true and it really had to do with Bob.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 04:34:05 PM »
I don’t think any friction that might have existed then would prevent episodes with Rod from appearing now.
In my personal experience, pettiness knows no bounds.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 04:53:58 PM »
Was it really the Vegas show? I thought it was the military ones in the summer.

I'm not 100% on that. I may be conflating stories because Vegas sounds like it was such a disaster. But the Vegas one was in primetime, and it would seem weird to pay Rod his desired salary for one primetime episode only to renege and go back to scale a few months later.

I also wonder how much consideration if any CBS is giving to putting classic TPiR with Bob on CBS All Access. Maybe having some on Pluto is a test to see what kind of viewership the episodes would get if they put it on a pay service.
I remember for a while it was stated Fremantle had a policy against having the announcers on camera and that's why Rod wasn't on camera anymore, but that was later said to not be true and it really had to do with Bob.

Yeah, they couldn't very well go out and say "our EP is a tyrannical egomaniac", so Fremantle took the blame to cover for it.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 09:43:30 PM »
I’m only familiar with Pluto TV from watching Buzzr which runs off of Buzzr’s schedule, so how would something like this work? Would it just be a continuous 24 hour loop of episodes? Would they dump then in batches and loop a lot of the same episodes over and over unless they swap out new ones? If it’s just a 24 hour loop I would probably hate that because I would feel compelled to keep up and have that constant feeling of FOMO in the back of my head when in a situation where I can’t watch. This board would require someone or several someones whose full time job it would be to keep track of what’s airing and which episodes people should go out of their way to catch when they air. That sounds exhausting.

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 10:42:21 PM »
Most of the time, Pluto TV has a bunch of episodes on demand, and the blocks of episodes are all found on that list (you can see this on Game Show Central) So, if Barker TPIR pops up, I wouldn't be worried.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 12:55:29 AM »
This board would require someone or several someones whose full time job it would be to keep track of what’s airing and which episodes people should go out of their way to catch when they air. That sounds exhausting.
This board would require no such thing...