Author Topic: 2020 NFL Season  (Read 44846 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 2020 NFL Season
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2020, 04:57:03 PM »
This would be the first time FOX, NBC and CBS would be carrying a game at the same time would it not? I can't imagine another time where they all were.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2020, 09:41:55 PM »
It is, pricefan.  Since Day One, I believe, it's been CBS and NBC and no one else.  As in Day One in the current era (Modern).  FOX added sports to go with the Simpson, Married with Children and whatever else was on their network in their 9th season, and immediately obtained the NFC package from CBS, four years before the latter would take the AFC package from NBC.  NBC followed their 8-year NFL hiatus by taking over primetime football from ESPN.  It's hard to believe that FOX has had football for more than a quarter century, but there you go!

The closest we've come to where all three aired simultaneously would have been every Week 17 since 2006 (except 2017) where both CBS & FOX would have the double-header.  Both games usually last into FNIA (Football Night in America).  Barring overtime, late national games end by 7:30 or 7:45, just in time for FNIA to get that final highlight in before their 8:20 kickoff. 

"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #137 on: November 25, 2020, 09:47:54 PM »
It is, pricefan.  Since Day One, I believe, it's been CBS and NBC and no one else.  As in Day One in the current era (Modern).  FOX added sports to go with the Simpson, Married with Children and whatever else was on their network in their 9th season, and immediately obtained the NFC package from CBS, four years before the latter would take the AFC package from NBC.  NBC followed their 8-year NFL hiatus by taking over primetime football from ESPN.  It's hard to believe that FOX has had football for more than a quarter century, but there you go!

The closest we've come to where all three aired simultaneously would have been every Week 17 since 2006 (except 2017) where both CBS & FOX would have the double-header.  Both games usually last into FNIA (Football Night in America).  Barring overtime, late national games end by 7:30 or 7:45, just in time for FNIA to get that final highlight in before their 8:20 kickoff.

I wouldn't count that really, that's a different scenario vs. actually scheduling games concurrent with each like this. Guess this is the 2nd time the league has seen history this year, the first being 2 weeks ago when FOX had every game in the 1pm window (I thought maybe it was 1 AND 4 when I realized the Masters was why this was, but discovered later that wasn't the case, woulda been really interesting if it was), the first time one network has monopolized an entire segment of the day like that. 2020 is something else huh? lol

Online JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2020, 10:48:45 PM »
According to TVLine, NBC will be airing an encore of the National Dog Show from earlier in the day followed by a rerun of The Wall.
Oh ok. I was thinking they'd go with an early showing of It's a Wonderful Life.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2020, 11:45:23 PM »
Oh ok. I was thinking they'd go with an early showing of It's a Wonderful Life.

That was my first thought too actually....or some other holiday movie, Home Alone perhaps for example. Would certainly fit the time, or.....if you wanted to go Thanksgiving themed more.....Planes, Trains and Automobiles woulda been a great choice too. Doesn't get as much play as it should I feel.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2020, 12:12:01 AM »
That was my first thought too actually....or some other holiday movie, Home Alone perhaps for example. Would certainly fit the time, or.....if you wanted to go Thanksgiving themed more.....Planes, Trains and Automobiles woulda been a great choice too. Doesn't get as much play as it should I feel.

Home Alone came to my mind as well.  Before the 3rd game showed up in 2006, Home Alone used to air in primetime & was the go-to movie.  Although that might have been Wednesday on Thanksgiving Eve.

Couldn't really care about what NBC airs in place of Steelers-Ravens.  I would've gone with a past game from an earlier season. 

2020 is something else huh? lol

You can say that again.  It'll be gone 5 weeks from Friday.  That's too long, but I'll take it.  Also gone soon will be the current NFL TV deals.  The league typically uses an emergency situation and makes permanent changes (ex. Steelers/Chiefs moved from 1:00 to 8:00 over weather concerns; 4 years ago in a playoff game; now the league no longer has early starts after Wild Card weekend)

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2020, 07:49:12 AM »
.if you wanted to go Thanksgiving themed more.....Planes, Trains and Automobiles woulda been a great choice too. Doesn't get as much play as it should I feel.

Oh yes, that movie is a classic. Sadly they'd have to take out what is easily the best line in the entire film to make it TV-friendly... good thing I have a physical copy of it I can watch whenever! (And I totally should, too. Thanks for picking something for me to watch!)

Shame that Ravens-Steelers got moved, considering the other two games on the docket for today are less-than-appealing matchups. At least both traditional hosts have a chance of winning this year because they are playing teams as equally terrible as them? :lol:
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2020, 08:56:11 AM »

In the early 60s, ABC had the AFL games. There were some cities that had an ABC/CBS dual affiliation, e.g.: Anderson S C's WAIM (today My Network TV affiliate WMYA) ran the CBS game at 1 PM then joined the AFL game from ABC in progress afterwards.

A listing from November 24, 1963 showed the scheduled games (which were scuttled after the JFK assassination two days earlier) as Washington at Philadelphia as the CBS game at 1 (assumed national--all five CBS stations in the listing carried it), then on ABC was Kansas City at New York Jets at 2 (regional, on WTVK in Knoxville TN) and Oakland at Denver at 3:30 (regional, on WLOS in Asheville N C). WAIM joined the Oakland-Denver game in progress.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 09:09:08 AM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2020, 09:11:58 AM »
Oh, and to clarify, the listings were from the Charlotte/Knoxville TV Guide from the week of November 23-29, 1963.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2020, 11:41:44 AM »
So there goes the one compelling matchup of tomorrow's slate. Hopefully the Ravens (and the Steelers) can stay case free until Sunday so the game can go on then.

Same here, JayC.  The Steelers fans may not like it, but some of those Ravens players will be available given the timeline of the restrictions.  Not a big deal at all, and it even helps Pittsburgh since they had several key players banged up.  After all, prior to Monday, I expected Baltimore to have all of their players available (not counting the ones on Injured Reserve).

Shame that Ravens-Steelers got moved, considering the other two games on the docket for today are less-than-appealing matchups. At least both traditional hosts have a chance of winning this year because they are playing teams as equally terrible as them? :lol:

To be fair, The Cowboys and Washington are playing for first place!  So I can honestly say that there is something on the line for that second game!

Thank you for the info, Ccook.  I wasn't sure of what the broadcast deals were before the 1970 Merger.  I always assumed that the NFL wasn't a big deal for ABC before Monday Night Football.  How the times have changed!

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2020, 05:35:23 PM »
My pleasure. I was a mere pup of seven years old back then and remembered dad watching on San Diego's channel 6 on Sundays (we lived in metro S.D. at the time).
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2020, 08:16:39 PM »
With Washington's 41-24 win over the Cowboys today, they are likely to finish the week in 1st place in the NFC East at the end of the league week. I don't see the Eagles beating the Seahawks.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2020, 02:23:37 AM »
That score was 41-16. Houston-Detroit was 41-25 Houston.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2020, 03:47:53 AM »
With Washington's 41-24 win over the Cowboys today, they are likely to finish the week in 1st place in the NFC East at the end of the league week. I don't see the Eagles beating the Seahawks.

If the Giants beat the Bengals, then they will take first place on Sunday.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2020, 11:31:36 AM »
If the Giants beat the Bengals, then they will take first place on Sunday.
This is correct. I was off on the Giants by a game. If the Giants win then they and Washington will both be 4-7 but the Giants won the head to head.

I don't see any way Ravens-Steelers can be played on Sunday with the Ravens situation. I wonder if the NFL might just cancel this game and invoke the 8 playoff teams per conference due to canceled games scenario.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.