Author Topic: 2020 NFL Season  (Read 44573 times)

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 2020 NFL Season
« Reply #270 on: January 24, 2021, 09:55:38 PM »

It kind of sucks this year, because of the pandemic.  Of course, this time a year ago I figured we'd have to wait a year or whenever for the Superbowl to return to L.A. as I gave the Rams the shot at being that team to host there.  While not the first team, it's possible.  Moreover, it looks like the Chargers have what it takes to rise to the occasion with Herbert (though they still have Kansas City in their division)

He probably might want to prepare well enough to top Ken Jennings for the job.  Until Brady leaves Tampa, it the Buccaneers and nobody else in the NFC.  Whoever survives what will be a stacked AFC will have to deal with Tampa in order to stay the course as it relates to the NFC dominance in the big game

On the other hand, having fewer people in the stands for the game will at least negate whatever advantage Tampa might otherwise have had, so the game will be more fairly balanced. 

I think the various teams in the NFC West could with the right lucky breaks be viable near term threats.  And Brady's clearly close to the end either way--perhaps if Tampa does win he'll decide to go out on top--so I think any period of dominance they might have would be shorter term. 

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #271 on: January 24, 2021, 10:12:50 PM »

On the other hand, having fewer people in the stands for the game will at least negate whatever advantage Tampa might otherwise have had, so the game will be more fairly balanced. 

I think the various teams in the NFC West could with the right lucky breaks be viable near term threats.  And Brady's clearly close to the end either way--perhaps if Tampa does win he'll decide to go out on top--so I think any period of dominance they might have would be shorter term. 

I agree about the NFC West.  That division might be the only group of teams that can stop Tampa.  I would agree that Brady might go out on top, but I think he has a valid chance at doing so in the coming years (a la Manning in 2015).  I think there's some unfinished business, an encore following what could be a 7th title.  For instance, knocking off a Superbowl contender version of the Bills, defeating Belichick in Foxborough, and winning an MVP in two separate conferences.  That goes with winning in both conferences.  The Saints are done, so that is two extra wins for the Bucs.  That division sucks so Tampa has a shot at being a very good team with an elite record.

Opening line has Chiefs favored by 3 over Tampa, which was posted at least five minutes before it became impossible for Buffalo to win.

I think the game at Raymond James Stadium would've been balanced with a full capacity.  It's in a nice part of Florida and the league usually won't allow one team to hog all of the tickets.  OTOH, if it's a franchise that isn't big in football, that may be different.  The Chiefs are not the Packers, Steelers or Cowboys in terms of nationwide or worldwide fans but they represent.

As for Buffalo, similar to Cleveland, what a year!  They both were trending that way over the past few years, and both lost to the champ in Arrowhead.  The Bills will get their shot at Brady (if he returns for a 22nd NFL season); it just won't be until the 2021 season
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #272 on: January 24, 2021, 10:54:56 PM »
Of course Tampa Bay becomes the first team to play the game in their home stadium when Tom Brady joins them. Brady will now be in the first Super Bowl to go to overtime and the first to play in his team's own stadium. I was pretty surprised the Buccaneers won being on the road in Green Bay, but the Packers just couldn't finish the comeback and the Bucs are hot at the right time.

Chiefs looked great tonight after a slow start. Both teams look tough to beat, it will be some game. With the virus provisions, home field won't mean as much for the Bucs as it could've.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #273 on: January 25, 2021, 09:25:27 AM »
The 56.5 O/U is the second highest in Super Bowl history (58.5 in LI was the highest). So a shootout is expected.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #274 on: January 25, 2021, 03:20:23 PM »

Or will it?  Would it be more likely that those attending will be from nearby (to avoid having people travelling so much), and therefore likely to be more fans of the local team?

Offline name456

• In the Audience
« Reply #275 on: January 25, 2021, 03:48:48 PM »
If someone really wants to go the Super Bowl, it doesn’t matter where they live in the country.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #276 on: January 26, 2021, 12:01:08 AM »
If someone really wants to go the Super Bowl, it doesn’t matter where they live in the country.

I mean, there's a guy that's been to all of the previous 54 Super Bowls.  And yes, he's getting into Raymond James Stadium for 55 of 55

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #277 on: January 29, 2021, 12:25:49 PM »
Line is still 3, but the O/U has dropped to 48. 
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
Lions trade Matthew Stafford to Rams for Jared Goff and multiple draft picks
« Reply #278 on: January 30, 2021, 10:50:24 PM »
The Detroit Lions have traded Matthew Stafford to the Rams for Jared Goff and multiple draft picks. So that answers the question of where Matthew Stafford is going.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30808788/detroit-lions-dealing-matthew-stafford-los-angeles-rams-jared-goff-picks-sources-say?device=featurephone
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #279 on: January 31, 2021, 04:48:35 AM »
Line is still 3, but the O/U has dropped to 48. 

Not sure where you got that line from for the o/u, but if you can get a non-teaser bet down on 48, best to hammer the UNDER.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #280 on: January 31, 2021, 12:24:15 PM »
Can't recall where I got the 48 from, but CBS Sports has it at 56.5 now. The under still sounds like tasty candy to me.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline name456

• In the Audience
The Detroit Lions have traded Matthew Stafford to the Rams for Jared Goff and multiple draft picks. So that answers the question of where Matthew Stafford is going.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30808788/detroit-lions-dealing-matthew-stafford-los-angeles-rams-jared-goff-picks-sources-say?device=featurephone

Sounds like a loss for both teams. Stafford is broken down and has never won anything, while Goff has had only one good year. The Lions may be better off because of the draft picks, but they aren’t exactly known as a model franchise.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #282 on: January 31, 2021, 06:16:52 PM »
Can't recall where I got the 48 from, but CBS Sports has it at 56.5 now. The under still sounds like tasty candy to me.

I'm assuming that someone might have commented on it being 48 or the fact that it should be 48.  56.5 could seem a little high, I agree.  Brady and Mahomes should have success, but both defenses for Tampa & Kansas City are very good.  Combine their stops with the offenses moving the ball and with the clock running, a 27-21 final score for either the Chiefs or the Bucs feels more probable than not

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
Sounds like a loss for both teams. Stafford is broken down and has never won anything, while Goff has had only one good year. The Lions may be better off because of the draft picks, but they aren’t exactly known as a model franchise.

Might just be the beginning of a quarterback carousel of sorts; to cite a few other possible examples, if Nick Sirianni ultimately feels he can't improve Carson Wentz, he may set a trade in motion there (possibly Indianapolis if Frank Reich's interested in a reunion of sorts), and there's no guarantee Dak Prescott stays in Dallas going forward, especially if, as some rumors have held, he's upset they didn't try and get a solid long term deal with him earlier.  And if San Francisco doesn't believe Jimmy Garopalo's a long term answer, he might be shown the door there as well. 

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #284 on: February 01, 2021, 05:47:40 PM »
Speaking of Jimmy Garoppolo, maybe he'll end up back with New England after all these years.  A situation four years removed from the initial date.  It would be ironic, FWIW, if Brady ends up besting Mahomes, who bested Garoppolo a year earlier