Author Topic: Wheel and Jeopardy Return  (Read 23220 times)

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Wheel and Jeopardy Return
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 01:32:56 AM »
I found it puzzling that in Ken Jennings' category, none of the clues appeared in text on the screen.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 09:18:14 AM »
The "white thing" is just weird, they should've found a better solution for contestants not actually touching the wheel.

Like what?  What’s better than something that goes over the peg the contestant wants to grab?

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 10:52:39 AM »
gloves. it would not look nearly as silly as these peg-condom things and they could have branded them with the show’s logo or a wheel...

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 11:25:04 AM »
But gloves would look silly, too. No matter what they did, somebody would have had a problem with the way it looks.

At least they're not doing it all remote and putting people on monitors over the podiums like some talk and court shows are doing now.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 11:28:35 AM »
But gloves would look silly, too. No matter what they did, somebody would have had a problem with the way it looks.

At least they're not doing it all remote and putting people on monitors over the podiums like some talk and court shows are doing now.

When the virus was at its worst (so far, sigh) people wore gloves shopping, while working, etc. People wear gloves in general protect their hands. It would have made so much more sense. These peg-condom things (thats what they look like, you can't convince me otherwise) look ridiculous and make the show look silly. The fact that wheel is literally trying to produce the same product- set, aesthetics, and even the puzzles and gameplay with little to no acknowledgement of current events is making them look increasingly stupid by the day, and is likely why the game show community is starting to turn on them.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 11:31:23 AM by urbanpreppie0004 »

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 11:45:18 AM »
I think if they can get clear gloves to where the viewers can't easily tell the difference then that would be okay.  Otherwise, I'll pass on noticeable gloves.  Sure they're better than what they're doing, but I don't know or think many people would sign up if they had to wear gloves to best protect themselves and those around them.  If that's the case, then it isn't safe to tape the show
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 12:38:20 PM »
I think if they can get clear gloves to where the viewers can't easily tell the difference then that would be okay.  Otherwise, I'll pass on noticeable gloves.  Sure they're better than what they're doing, but I don't know or think many people would sign up if they had to wear gloves to best protect themselves and those around them.  If that's the case, then it isn't safe to tape the show

I would 100% go on Wheel of Fortune right now, gloves or no gloves.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 03:23:44 PM »

I think gloves would look worse. So much of these different things already IMO look ridiculous, so the less obtrusive to the eye stuff is (and this goes for Jeopardy as much as Wheel) the better for me.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2020, 03:26:09 PM »
When the virus was at its worst (so far, sigh) people wore gloves shopping, while working, etc. People wear gloves in general protect their hands. It would have made so much more sense. These peg-condom things (thats what they look like, you can't convince me otherwise) look ridiculous and make the show look silly. The fact that wheel is literally trying to produce the same product- set, aesthetics, and even the puzzles and gameplay with little to no acknowledgement of current events is making them look increasingly stupid by the day, and is likely why the game show community is starting to turn on them.

What would you like them to do honestly with respect? Cry and moan about the whole thing? I'd rather they didn't. There's enough of that to go around right now. People need some form of escape.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 04:04:45 PM »

I’m sorry, but this is a bit absurd. 

Think about why they are using the device they are using.  If I’m wearing gloves, I can still cross contaminate myself and others just by touching my nose with my gloved fingers and then grabbing a peg on the wheel.  The device they are using now, whatever you choose to call it, ensures that the pegs of the wheel are not touched by anything that a person touched.  I suspect it is mighty difficult to get something up inside the “white thing”...  Sure, a person could breathe into it, or cough into it, or something else, but presumably they have spare “white things” available if someone does that. 

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2020, 04:44:46 PM »
What would you like them to do honestly with respect? Cry and moan about the whole thing? I'd rather they didn't. There's enough of that to go around right now. People need some form of escape.

Of course not. But the way Wheel has handled this with almost no change is one of the biggest problems. No one is expecting them to whine and cry about it. But other shows have addressed the temporary changes to the show. They also haven't done that with puzzles, prizes, the set, the theme, and all those things have become more apparent as they double down on producing such a bland product. Wheel has been safe for a number of years...but now its just boring.

Think about why they are using the device they are using.  If I’m wearing gloves, I can still cross contaminate myself and others just by touching my nose with my gloved fingers and then grabbing a peg on the wheel.  The device they are using now, whatever you choose to call it, ensures that the pegs of the wheel are not touched by anything that a person touched.  I suspect it is mighty difficult to get something up inside the “white thing”...  Sure, a person could breathe into it, or cough into it, or something else, but presumably they have spare “white things” available if someone does that.
The show is what, 30 minutes shot close to real time? On top of that, the way that contestants have been screened now there's pre-screens and quarantine times before you appear. There's less of a chance of getting it in the first place- every thing they've done is for not just prevention but also cosmetic. And wheel did something that's more meme appropriate.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 04:49:09 PM by urbanpreppie0004 »

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2020, 10:23:58 AM »
First of all...I really want you to stop and think long and hard about gloves and why that is the absolute most ridiculous and stupid thing to use. Period. Seriously. Just think about it. If you can't figure out why, you have some serious problems. *cough* common sense *cough* They're doing the best they can to make sure that they produce shows safely. It's not like any of us thought last year and said we'd be going through all of this in 2020. It's a different time for all of us and we have to make the best with what we can.

Furthermore, Wheel (and J!) are an escape for people from the harsh realities of the world. We are bombarded with COVID this and COVID that on every side - the news, social media, when we go out and about. You're pissed because you think they (Wheel) have not changed enough for COVID and they don't talk about it on end. What do you want Pat to do? Take up a whole round's worth of time to talk about COVID and what they've done and what you can do? Why can't we have a time where we just relax and have fun and let the problems around us just pause? What you're saying is you want them to produce the show all around COVID and make that the center point of the whole show. What do you want the puzzles to be?

"DON'T FORGET TO WEAR YOU MASK"
"DID YOU WASH YOUR HANDS?"
"STAY SIX FEET APART"
"CORONAVIRUS"
"DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE"
"DR. ANTHONY FAUCI"

No. Just no. Pat described what they did very succinctly and to the point so as not to take away from valuable show time. Getting a set upgrade/refresh would be nice, but regardless they're doing their part to comply with social distancing meaures in order to produce shows that will potientally make people very rich and give people at home 1/2 hour of fun and enjoyment. 
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2020, 11:23:53 AM »
First of all...I really want you to stop and think long and hard about gloves and why that is the absolute most ridiculous and stupid thing to use. Period. Seriously. Just think about it. If you can't figure out why, you have some serious problems. *cough* common sense *cough* They're doing the best they can to make sure that they produce shows safely. It's not like any of us thought last year and said we'd be going through all of this in 2020. It's a different time for all of us and we have to make the best with what we can.

Furthermore, Wheel (and J!) are an escape for people from the harsh realities of the world. We are bombarded with COVID this and COVID that on every side - the news, social media, when we go out and about. You're pissed because you think they (Wheel) have not changed enough for COVID and they don't talk about it on end. What do you want Pat to do? Take up a whole round's worth of time to talk about COVID and what they've done and what you can do? Why can't we have a time where we just relax and have fun and let the problems around us just pause? What you're saying is you want them to produce the show all around COVID and make that the center point of the whole show. What do you want the puzzles to be?

"STAY SIX FEET APART"
"CORONAVIRUS"
"DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE"
"DR. ANTHONY FAUCI"

No. Just no. Pat described what they did very succinctly and to the point so as not to take away from valuable show time. Getting a set upgrade/refresh would be nice, but regardless they're doing their part to comply with social distancing meaures in order to produce shows that will potientally make people very rich and give people at home 1/2 hour of fun and enjoyment.

Well said. Plus Pat's hosting style is much more casual relative to Alex, not to mention the show itself is drastically different in presentation and feel as well to go with that. So it'd make sense Alex might speak on things in a little different way and tone from him that way. You'd kind of expect that.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2020, 12:00:16 PM »
Thinking about it, I’m less interested in how Wheel presents their changes, which seem fine, as the fact that the show is just tired. I get there aren’t opportunities like a new clue presenter a la Ken Jennings. And Sajak is who he is. He’s not going to tweak his style.

I do believe shows have a shelf life, and perhaps Wheel has simply reached the point where it’s just surviving on inertia. It’s just the nature of the beast.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2020, 12:03:42 PM »

"STAY SIX FEET APART"
"CORONAVIRUS"
"DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE"
"DR. ANTHONY FAUCI"

First and foremost, you really do not need to come at me the way you did.
Second- the white thing (as Pat as said) look ridiculous. They could have done so many other things- gloves or hand sanitizer (and easily edited them using it out) and decided not to. Other sources have even commented on how they look: https://www.vulture.com/2020/09/wheel-of-fortune-season-38-covid-19-changes.html
Third- When i meant the puzzles and addressing current events- i wasn't talking about COVID, not at all. But the show's puzzles for the last few years have tended to stay away from most references in the last decade or so. There's almost no reference to current events, modern pop culture, and the prize puzzle is something you can see from a mile away.