Author Topic: Wheel and Jeopardy Return  (Read 23079 times)

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Wheel and Jeopardy Return
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2020, 06:51:40 PM »
The Mike Richards era of Jeopardy! isn't off to a good start. Two controversies in Final Jeoaprdy! out of seven shows? Holy cow.
I like that you just assume that Mike Richards is standing there in the studio making the judge’s rulings.  Aren’t the people who make the rulings the same people who’ve been doing it for quite some time?

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2020, 07:20:17 PM »
Indeed they are.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2020, 08:26:32 PM »
A handful of people can’t figure out that Barry and berry aren’t the same word spelled differently

That ruling I agree with, and I still stand by it. Berry and Barry are not pronounced the same, so close enough isn't enough.

However, the other one rubbed me the wrong way. It referred to two different titles, and they ruled one unacceptable due to the vagueness of the clue. And what's worse, that decision did affect the outcome.

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2020, 11:17:24 PM »
I had to go through JBoard.tv to see it. Contestants have gotten back after badly-worded clues before, like the late Bob Mesko, a five-time champ from Season 22.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 11:25:44 PM by Trevor Tuominen »
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2020, 01:18:15 AM »
The whole Barry/Berry fiasco is ridiculous. It’s a person’s proper name; it needs to be exact.

You want to know what’s outrageous? Last week Wheel promoted on Instagram that something “historic” would happen on the 9/23 episode. It was Vanna wearing the same dress twice for the first time ever. Not only was that a complete lie, but people also tuned in to see a $100k loss.

Talk about flagrant false advertising.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2020, 01:32:25 AM »
The whole Barry/Berry fiasco is ridiculous. It’s a person’s proper name; it needs to be exact.

You want to know what’s outrageous? Last week Wheel promoted on Instagram that something “historic” would happen on the 9/23 episode. It was Vanna wearing the same dress twice for the first time ever. Not only was that a complete lie, but people also tuned in to see a $100k loss.

Talk about flagrant false advertising.

Wow......that's REALLY bad. Worse than cookie jam promotion mania bad (which I don't entirely hate aesthetically actually like some do, not much worse than anything else they've done in past IMO). That's more befitting of an April Fool's show ala Price's 10,000th thing show in 2012, than anything legitimate. What a joke that is. I wondered what it'd be tonight too thinking about it, talk about a big disappointment.

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2020, 09:46:09 AM »
Definitely a huge ratings trap for sure.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2020, 01:56:15 PM »
Hasn’t it been like two years since the last time someone won the $100,000? I remember when people used to win it every few months like three times a season, but two years? They really can’t afford it anymore, can they?

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2020, 02:43:25 PM »
And last night's puzzle wasn't that hard with the letters. It just works that way sometimes.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2020, 02:55:13 PM »
And last night's puzzle wasn't that hard with the letters. It just works that way sometimes.

And to be fair, how can they really avoid a $100k win given the spins are as random as they are? It's as much luck as anything I think on that aspect at least.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2020, 04:30:45 PM »
Just spitballing--in theory the producers could have 4 or 5 puzzles of varying difficulties prepared, all tied to whatever value gets spun, and go "he landed on the I, load the $100,000 puzzle".

I definitely don't think that's what they do, especially since these days contestants get to choose their bonus round category, but it wouldn't be impossible to tie the difficulty to the prize at stake if they wanted to.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2020, 05:30:43 PM »
Just spitballing--in theory the producers could have 4 or 5 puzzles of varying difficulties prepared, all tied to whatever value gets spun, and go "he landed on the I, load the $100,000 puzzle".

I definitely don't think that's what they do, especially since these days contestants get to choose their bonus round category, but it wouldn't be impossible to tie the difficulty to the prize at stake if they wanted to.

I've often thought, or used to think they did do that, more often than not.  Then upon seeing a player lose out on $38,000, I'm sorta surprised that they haven't
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2020, 08:24:33 PM »
I've often thought, or used to think they did do that, more often than not.  Then upon seeing a player lose out on $38,000, I'm sorta surprised that they haven't

Could they do that with S&P? I wonder though if THIS woulda factored into them using the electronic board from 1997 onward if they have. They could change puzzles on the fly where they couldn't before.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2020, 08:25:43 PM »
Could they do that with S&P?
I'd figure that, so long as it's disclosed to the contestants before the show that they're doing it, then yes.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2020, 08:28:59 PM »
I'd figure that, so long as it's disclosed to the contestants before the show that they're doing it, then yes.

Ah....good point. Didn't think of that.