Author Topic: Switcheroo Question  (Read 2198 times)

Offline NewsDirector3287

• Outside in Line
Switcheroo Question
« on: September 19, 2020, 10:00:15 PM »
I've had a question about Switcheroo in my mind for quite a while, and finally thought I'd try to get an answer.  While watching
older episodes, I noticed that the set did not have a timer on it.  I checked the FAQ and the entry for Switcheroo didn't mention
when the clock was added.  Does anyone have an estimate on when it was added?

Also, did anyone else think it was weird that a game that involved a crucial time element didn't have a timer visible for so long?

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Re: Switcheroo Question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 10:11:52 PM »
Looking at the timeline, it looks like it's first playing in Season 20 has the first known use of the timer.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline NewsDirector3287

• Outside in Line
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 10:41:50 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply!  I didn't think about looking at the timeline, even though I do read it from time to time.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 11:46:12 PM »
Was the time strictly enforced in those earlier playings? Or was it more a hypothetical 30?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 11:49:42 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 11:54:24 AM »
Was the time strictly enforced in those earlier playings? Or was it more a hypothetical 30?

I'm not sure, but I assume the clock was added after a contestant took an unusually long time to play the game.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 02:45:11 PM »
I'm not sure, but I assume the clock was added after a contestant took an unusually long time to play the game.

That'd make sense. I'm honestly surprised no one thought of it before that, or that S&P didn't force the issue themselves when the game debuted. I know Ten Chances has always a had hypothetical 10 second rule to write down a price on each turn, but it wasn't/isn't as big a part of the game as the 30 seconds here is, much less enforced very often.