Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR Bob Barker Celebration Special 05/17/2007  (Read 38739 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner

TPiR Presents A Celebration of Bob Barker's 50 Years on Television - Taped April 17, 2007

Bob: stage entrance

First Four lineup: right to left

Handoff: Gabrielle

Models of the Day: Lanisha Cole, Rachel Reynolds and Gabrielle Tuite

Wearing: Dina Bar-el

Tonight's show will feature an old-school Price format (no wheel - top 2 through to the Showcase Round) and loads of juicy clips and memories, many not seen since their original playing. Even more that could have been shown left out only due to lack of time. Between games, mostly in order of appearance:

• How contestant have expressed their love for Barker.
  • Clips from "Truth (BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!) or Consequences", the show that introduced Barker to America. Ralph Edwards was right.
  • A clip from "Bonanza" in which Barker is a "Cowboy Romeo" courting a certain Miss Connie.
  • Those funny little falls, faints, spills and mishaps that just don't get edited out. OK, the faint wasn't all that funny.
  • A brief speech from Les Moonves that gets a big reaction from the Peanut Gallery.
  • Barker recalling the path to tonight in his own words.
  • "Dance Fever", Price is Right style
  • How contestants show their gratitude toward Barker after winning something.
  • THE Clip from "Happy Gilmore" followed by a visit from actor/comedian/punching bag Adam Sandler, who reads a poem (This segment explains why the show carried a "PG-L" rating for the first time ever)
  • How contestants demonstrated their gratitude - from hugs to kisses to his adventures with Samoans, real and imagined.

...and, O'course, Yolanda.

Oh, yes. They did play some games...

1   Trip to Honolulu (NWA Vacations; 6n @ Marriott)(R)

ROBERT 5000
PETER 5900
NOAH *5300
NICOLE 1
($5309)

Noah from Temecula, CA gets to complete a TRIPLE PLAY

Dodge Avenger SXT (Std., Stereo)($23,110)
$21,550$29,620
YES

Ford Mustang Conv. (Std., ALB, Alarm, WheelLock, Prot, Int, AirBag)(L)($27,106)
$19,530$25,985$33,880
YES

Cadillac PTS (Std., V8, AT, GPS)(G)($42,210)
$29,621$35,640$41,321$52,992
WIN!

2   (Apple) Desktop Computer Package (G)

+Robert 3000
+Peter 1
Zelene 2500
+Nicole *3200
($4056)

Nicole plays 1/2 OFF for increased stakes...

Mini Bank Machine$15$30*BOXES IN PLAY
Electric Citrus Press1501 3 6 8 9 11 14 16

(Axion) Handheld LCD TV50100*
Ionic Pet Brush401 8 11 14

Handheld Sudoku Game30
MP3 Buggy1020*11 14

Pick: (11)   *$25,000*   WIN!

3   Rossignol His/Hers Ski/Snowboard Equipment (L)

+Robert *"24"
+Peter 1790
Zelene 1
MARTHA 1750
($2786)

Robert, prepare thyself. Inflated for the occasion, IT'S THE $100,000 PL!NKO! PRIMETIME!!!

Free Chip(3)500L
Talking Pedometer8/00$20*(3)1000L
(Margarator) Drink Maker1/9979*(5)500L
Dolphin Massager4/1140Total
Coffee Center1/5535*(7)1000L$3000LOSS

Since we're "old school" tonight, Robert leaves with $5920

SHOWCASE ROUND

Noah has the honor.

SC1-Noah

BARKER'S MILESTONES
17 1-oz Gold Bars (Open Price)(R)
Trip to Melbourne, AUS (vacationcompare.com)
LINCOLN! Navigator (Stgd.,Elite, Wheels)(R)
Eliminator 210 Eagle 21' Powerboat (G)
BID$75,000
PRICE124,491
DIFF- 49,491
TOTAL$  97,735

SC2-Nicole

HOW LIFE HAS CHANGED SINCE 1956 (R)
(World Poker Tour) Pinball Machine
 Murrey Amidor Pool Table
(Madden NFL) Video Arcade Game
Sharp Aquus 52" LCD HDTV (G)
Chevy Corvette Conv. (Std., AT, #Z51, #3LT)(L)
BID$50,000
PRICE80,953
DIFF- 30,953
TOTAL$110,379

Today's Pricing Games: 2 for 3

Total Winnings: $214,034

AND FINALLY: I know, there's the temptation for all of you to give this show a five out of a five rating. You know you're going to. But, for tonight, there's no question. This is a NOT a Five, IT'S A FIFTY!.

Now the bad news: Only 19 more shows before Barker's Final Bow. Date still to be determined. Savor them.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR Bob Barker Celebration Special 05/17/2007
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 01:49:26 AM »
Well... where do we start on a show like tonight's?  Maybe Bob beating up Adam Sandler!  Certainly Adam's best movie, far as I'm concerned.  Me, biased?  Nah....  I was a bit surprised and pleased that, while the clip was edited for time, it wasn't edited for content!  Liked Adam's poem, too!  And nice to finally see the "ringside seat" line from all the promos in context!

And the other clips were also nice.  The little "history of Bob" thingy during the third segment had me tear up a little... just nice.  And the clips from Truth or Consequences were nice, and the clips from The Price is Right... kinda' nostalgic, and amusing at times.  My little sister seemed to get a kick out of Bob beating up on poor Squeeze Play.  And Adam Sandler too, for that matter!

And now, onto the gameplay:  even if it's meant to be a hard game, tonight show's that Triple Play can be made surprisingly easy when Roger really wants it to be.  Probably at least one reason Triple Play was played tonight instead of Golden Road, which would be pretty danged hard to make guessing the 4-digit prize too easy.

Speaking of Triple Play, they used the regular dings instead of the clangs and whoops when it was won.  I hope that was just a mistake tonight, and not a permanent change.  I mean, Triple Play needs whatever advantages over Golden Road it can get
They played Plinko.  No surprise.  They played Half Off.  I can't tell you how very much that shocked me.  Never ever ever [insert a gazillion more evers] would I have expected Half Off to show up tonight.  I cannot believe Roger did that... but I guess he did.  Wow... I mean, I'd have guessed Grand Game to be infinitely more likely to show up.  I was not expecting Grand Game, but compared to Half Off (or Punchy for that matter), a virtual lock.  Just... wow, again!

Basically, it all means I don't even care that I don't particularly care for any of the three games played tonight.  Any lineup with two cash SPs, especially when it's a half hour format, is automatic win!

And why not, heels?  Nicole

Offline CrimsonViper

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 02:09:48 AM »
Tonight's show, despite the half hour format, worked surprisingly well and was much improved from last night.  

Triple Play was easy on purpose, no doubt about that.  I'm not sure if it ever happened before, but it was strange to see one of the choices for the Mustang was less than both previous choices for the Avenger.  Talk about forced win. ;)  

Half Off was very surprising!  For sure one of the games was Plinko, as seen on the commercials and promos leading up to tonight, but this just sort of came out of nowhere... not that I'm complaining. :)  Beautiful win indeed.  

That was one heck of an expensive boat.  And game room.  And once again, a dashingly hot looking red car finishes off the Showcases. :D  

I thorougly enjoyed the clips, especially the fight scene from Happy Gilmore (I've never seen the movie before, so sue me :P).  Couldn't have been a better show.

Offline woohookitty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 02:10:09 AM »
I thought it was very well done overall. some great stuff we haven't seen in ages and ages, if at all. Has Half-Off been 25K before? I'm thinking no since it's only been around for the last few specials. Anyway. Good job CBS! As for the other game play, I think both showcase contestants were in daytime mode. I think they were thinking that this was a "normal" boat and a cheaper luxury vehicle. Nope

Offline Train

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 02:13:55 AM »
I watched this twice.  The second time to record it for keeps on DVD.  If Fremantle is really going to release a "Best of TPIR" DVD set, they should include this show.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 02:21:01 AM »
This show was incredible.  It may be the best episode of Price is Right ever and it certainly was a perfect tribute to Bob.  The clips, Bob speaking about his career, and guest appearances (espically Adam Sandler) were awesome.  I don't think I could have wished for anything better.  The Big Doors and the sections inbetween them were absolutely beautiful too.  

Triple Play- It was really cool to see Triple Play won in an MDS and a fantastic contestant was the one to win it.  The car and the convertible were very easy but I was torn between the 2nd and 3rd choices for the Cadillac.  I wonder why they used the standard win dings and not the clang clang woop woops.  It was also really weird to see Bob do the most teasing for the first car and not really that much teasing for the later cars.

It was really surprising to see Plinko and Half Off in the same episode and I was surprised to even see Half Off be played.  Great to see Half Off won in primetime.  Not having the $20,000 hit at least once was disappointing and I'm surprised he got the massager price wrong (I wonder who makes that it was pretty cool) in Plinko.  That was the one thing that could have been better about the show, otherwise it was perfect.

As I said in another post about the show, my favorite part of the show was seeing the Happy Gilmore clip unedited followed by Adam Sandler and his great poem.  I wondered why the show was rated TV-PG L  I was worried that Les Moonves was the special guest star.  My mom and grandma laughed histarically over the clips of contestants falling.

Once again, a perfect tribute to Bob.  Five out of five for sure!

Oh, on Bob's Letterman appearance Wednesday night/Thursday morning, Letterman said that Bob's final show is scheduled for June 15.

Edit to respond to Bully- The Cadillac was the DTS.  There is no PTS.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 02:30:16 AM »
Is there a screencap of the Cadillac PTS?  I don't think I've seen one; is it like the DTS or the CTS?
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 03:15:35 AM »
This show was a great special.

Just one minor quip. During the "falling down" clips, why did they have to put Rich saying "Come on Down" on clips that he never would have said them on?  And why did they have to put the modern light border on the Yolanda clip?  I think that's a case of going to too much trouble for consistent look (or so I can gather).

It's just the continuity and editor person in me speaking folks.

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 03:25:15 AM »
Wow, what a brilliant show. It was about as good of a way to celebrate Bob Barker's career as I could have imagined. I loved seeing the old clips from "Truth Or Consequences," and nothing beat the clips from "Happy Gilmore." Finally, I got to see that scene.

After I had read that Leslie Moonves was making an appearance on the show, I figured he was the special guest, so it was great to see Adam Sandler come on and read his poem. Although I will admit that probably the most emotional moment was when the crowd went crazy when Moonves was talking to Bob.

I was also glad to see that Roger purposely set up the games to be easy. It would have been a little depressing if we had seen all losses, but the easy set-ups made that less likely. 1/2 Off wins are always exciting, and the $25,000 prize made it even better.

I had been hoping for Hole in One (or Two) to show up on one of these episodes, although I bet time constraints were most likely why it didn't appear. Nevertheless, the game selections were brilliant, for both nights.

Finally, Nicole's reaction to winning was simply priceless... I couldn't help but feeling great over her showcase win. What a great two nights.

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 03:26:12 AM »
jjc92787 wrote:
Oh, on Bob's Letterman appearance Wednesday night/Thursday morning, Letterman said that Bob's final show is scheduled for June 15.

That will have to be confirmed even though Letterman probably got that info from someone at Black Rock. As of now, the schedule on CBS.com shows no first-run airings beyond June 1.

I know, I feel like Gordon McLendon of KLIF constantly reminding us that details of Kennedy's death were "unconfirmed", but I'm not willing to make book on this until I see something definite.

Offline DrLove0378

• In the Audience
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 03:58:38 AM »
I guess it's just me, but they probably shouldn't have played Plinko on tonight's show, as a "loss" is virtually guaranteed.

And when I saw that Cadillac in Triple Play, I thought tonight was gonna go off like the 2/14/06 MDS -- the third car was a Corvette, and it was not reached.  Nice win, though, although I thought Noah was gonna get tricked by the Cadillac.  The DTS (Deville) usually runs about $46,000 depending on options... more or fewer options could have spelled disaster, as they could greatly alter the price of the car.

And it's too bad that Noah didn't win his showcase -- if he had, he would have gotten an all-time total of $222,226.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 08:33:27 AM »
From what I saw, the cars given away tonight — now THAT'S how to do a special TPiR! You go whole hog!

I can understand his leaving the classic models out of this (various disputes that have led to estrangement) ... but I wonder why there was no mention of any of Bob's classic announcers from either TPiR (Johnny Olson and Rod Roddy) or his friends from "Truth or Consequences" (Charles Lyon, longtime assistant Dresser Dahlstead and producer Ralph Andrews)? Oh well, at least they didn't forget Yolanda or Pauline!

Brian

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 08:44:27 AM »
This was a great show. From the classic clip of Yolanda to a cameo appearance by "Happy Gilmore" himself, Adam Sandler. That really takes the cake. And as an added bonus, the local station here in Toronto, SunTV, showed the full credit roll in this special. That is something that is never done in the daytime show, although they may make an exception and show the full credit roll at the end of Bob's final show.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 09:03:01 AM »
Well, this was quite a good show.  Much better than Wednesday's MDS, I'd say.  It shows just how much better the show works with more interaction time.  The clips were also a nice treat, with some new ones mixed in with the old standards.

First and foremost, the best part of this episode was, in my opinion, the fact that there was no Showcase Showdown!  I know they were toying around a four-game format earlier on before taping this special.  Thank God they didn't do that.  I'm also glad that they didn't do something stupid like stick a million dollar spin in for the Showcase winner.  The show works wonderfully without the Showcase Showdown.  Game$how Marathon should have been so smart.

There were only two things in this episode that majorly bugged the heck out of me.  One I've mentioned below.  The other was the fact that the show's logo was not on the big doors.  I was figuring they'd do a logo spun off of the MDS logo, but they just left out the name entirely.  That did not look right at all.

Triple Play was pretty easy, althouth that didn't take away from just how awesome the win was.

Equally awesome was the ½ Off win.  It's amazing how well Roger knows contestants that when it comes down to the final two boxes, he knows which one is likely to be picked.

Speaking of ½ Off, seeing both it and Plinko in the same show was a really nice surprise, though I can completely understand why they'd play ½ Off when its creator was in the audience. :)

And what's more, this proves Roger will do two SP games in a single show, even a half hour one.  If he can do it here, there's no reason why he couldn't do it in Bob's final episode with the perfect lineup consisting of both Five Price Tags and Bonus Game.

So, "that" Adam Sandler was the overly-hyped special guest.  Shouldn't be surprised.  I expected it to be one of those people big in Bob's career.  I also shouldn't have been surprised that they played the unedited version of the Happy Gilmore clip since the audiences have been begging it for years.  Well, if Bob's on his way, might as well go out with a bang. :)

And regarding Adam's poem, only Adam Sandler himself would have been able to write that.

The second Showcase was wonderfully done.

NicholasM79 wrote:
Just one minor quip. During the "falling down" clips, why did they have to put Rich saying "Come on Down" on clips that he never would have said them on?

Yes, the only other thing about this episode that really bugged me.  For them to do that was very low, in my opinion.  They can keep Johnny's voice over the Yolanda clip but not his or Rod's on any others?  Not very respectful, and I wasn't pleased they managed to work around Bob saying any of the models' names in the other clips as well.

NicholasM79 wrote:
And why did they have to put the modern light border on the Yolanda clip?

I knew something about that looked different, and I suspected it to be the light border, but I never actually considered that they'd really change it.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 09:25:28 AM »
One of the best, if not the best, Primetime Special!

Triple Play: I thought it was easy.  I'm glad Noah won, and it was about $92,500 worth of cars.

1/2 Off: I chose Box 14 and would have lost.  I was surprised to see it being played, since I knew Plinko! was going to be played, and two cash games in a 1/2 hour format show was surprising.

Plinko!: The only disappointing part of the gameplay was that the $20,000 slot was not hit.  I think that some of the other slots should have also been increased, not just the $10,000.

SC1: My Bid: $84,125 / ARP: $124,491 / Diff: $40,366
SC2: My Bid: $61,300 / ARP: $80,953 / Diff: $19,653

As for the clips, after seeing Hayloft Ethel, I concluded that unlike some clips, like the Yolanda incident or the fainting, this clip can never get boring.  The "Truth or Consequences" clip was another great clip.  It makes me wish I had seen the show.  It was also nice to see some new clips, like Bob trying to get back the Race Game price tags after the contestant said he didn't need any of the prizes.
Still, the clips were wonderful, and I'm glad they were put into this Primetime Special.  This is one of the reasons why this show was better than the previous one.