Author Topic: "The Chase" returning to the airwaves  (Read 4331 times)

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Re: "The Chase" returning to the airwaves
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 04:19:52 PM »
As a fan of the British and Australian versions, I hope this revival plays closer to those than the GSN version did.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 05:52:27 PM »
Each episode will feature up to 166 questions, across all topics, as contestants look to win cash while playing against Holzhauer, Jennings or Rutter.

Heaven forbid we do 167 questions :P

Doing some table napkin math, there are typically about 10 questions in each Cash Builder, less than that for the Head-to-Head, and maybe around 25 questions for both the team and the Chaser in the Final Chase... and I fail to see how an episode is going to get to 166 questions in an hour. What would that equal, like 4-6 players in a game? I feel that number is too high for the 3-person format GSN had.

Although, if this is actually primetime, I wouldn't mind the return of the $5,000 per correct answer in the Cash Builder.

Game show historians out there: is Holzhauer now the first non-celebrity to be a contestant of a show, and then become a regular, almost akin to a host?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 05:55:02 PM by TPIRfan#9821 »
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 06:04:21 PM »
would 1990's Monopoly count, with a contestant from the Peter Tomarken pilot being the eventual series host?

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 07:54:29 PM »
would 1990's Monopoly count, with a contestant from the Peter Tomarken pilot being the eventual series host?

Reilly was brought in for the pilot intentionally. Then after Tomarken turned it down/wasn't chosen, they played E-M-Mo with the 3 contestants taking runthroughs as host.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 08:18:19 PM »
Then after Tomarken turned it down/wasn't chosen
Pretty sure the deal there was Tomarken objected to them having a midget as the "token" going around the board, and when he complained they chose to replace him in response.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 08:34:43 PM »
Doing some table napkin math, there are typically about 10 questions in each Cash Builder, less than that for the Head-to-Head, and maybe around 25 questions for both the team and the Chaser in the Final Chase... and I fail to see how an episode is going to get to 166 questions in an hour.

I worked on one season of GSN's The Chase. Each episode had slightly more than 166 questions loaded and ready to ensure that they wouldn't get into a situation where they ran out of material. As you've calculated, a contestant would have to interrupt a lot of questions, or a head-to-head would have to have a lot of double-wrong answers, in order to come anywhere near exhausting the material on hand.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 01:18:38 AM »
I think I'm going to enjoy Sara Haines hosting!!! She's got a great personality as a cohost of The View (she returned this season).

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 12:25:51 AM »
As a fan of the British and Australian versions, I hope this revival plays closer to those than the GSN version did.

I'm only familiar with the GSN version.  I know the British version, at least, concurrently had more than one person in the role as The Beast, but other than that how did the other versions differ?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 12:41:22 AM »
I'm only familiar with the GSN version.  I know the British version, at least, concurrently had more than one person in the role as The Beast, but other than that how did the other versions differ?

Brits have now 6 chasers with Darragh Ennis' debut relatively soon. Australia runs on 5 1/2 chasers (Cheryl Toh, who is doing Beat the Chasers, is a part-time Chaser. (Mark and Anne both do the Australian version as well, but can't tape due to visa issues with COVID-19, so it has resulted in just 3 1/2 chasers). Both versions use 4 contestants. The US version used only 3.

My guess is we'll have 3 chasers, 4 contestants and Sara Haines. The budget will be interesting given this will not be a 5 day strip, but once a week.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 12:44:08 AM by Roadgeek Adam »

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 12:10:17 PM »
And we have a premiere date confirmed for The Chase along with Celebrity Wheel of Fortune and the new Craig Ferguson game show The Hustler which are slated to premiere on January 7.

https://tvline.com/2020/11/10/the-bachelor-season-25-premiere-date-matt-james/

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 01:58:16 PM »
And they went with the GSN format due to commercials. yay.....

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 02:21:00 PM »
Has that been confirmed?
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 03:16:46 PM »
Can I ask why people seem to chafe over the GSN run? I thought it was well done.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 03:56:47 PM »
Let's see...

-The GSN version replaced the original music with generic, lifeless crap.
-The GSN version's lower-thirds, especially for the chase rounds, looked like a five year old did them.
-The GSN version's pace dragged because they removed a player yet still ran the show for a full hour.
-The GSN version felt too much like the Mark Labett Show because of the excessive focus placed on the sole Chaser.
-The GSN version, in general, felt cheap.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.