Author Topic: "Celebrity Wheel of Fortune" is a go for Primetime on ABC  (Read 15314 times)

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
"Celebrity Wheel of Fortune" is a go for Primetime on ABC
« on: November 09, 2020, 02:59:28 PM »
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/wheel-of-fortune-celebrity-abc-pat-sajak-vanna-white-1234826237/

I am just floored. Definitely good news to see after the bouts of bad news the last few days. I wonder if they'll do anything unique? I'm guessing with celebs playing, it'll be all cash. So maybe we'll see more money amounts in the bonus round in the absence of vehicles. I can forsee them doing tie-ins with other ABC shows and having them as contestants. Like having Amy, Robin, and George from GMA in one half and Lara, Ginger, and Michael in the other. There are so many possibilities. I'm just happy that after all these years it's finally happening!
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: "Celebrity Wheel of Fortune" is a go for Primetime on ABC
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 05:48:51 PM »
Long overdue. As opposed to Millionaire going the celebrities only route, I approve of this since Wheel hasn’t done a celebrity show in years. Here’s hoping one of the charities sponsored by Alex Trebek gets a mention.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 07:39:18 PM »
Meh. I’m hoping they find a way to liven it up. And lose some of the omnipresent sponsor plugs for everything. It’s about one step away from having each peg on the wheel brought to us by a dubious drug or insurance company.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 09:07:51 PM »
I am so burnt out from any Game Show having Celebrity shows. Millionaire,TPIR,Feud it's just boring.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 09:13:16 PM by Reloaden »

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 09:19:30 PM »
I can see the breakdown for the envelopes for the bonus round wheel being the following: 7 each of $40k , $45k , and $50k , 2 of the $100k , and 1 of the $1 Million

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 09:29:10 PM »
I can see the breakdown for the envelopes for the bonus round wheel being the following: 7 each of $40k , $45k , and $50k , 2 of the $100k , and 1 of the $1 Million
Probably more like 21 of $40K, 1 $45K, 1 $50K, 1 $100K/$1M.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 10:47:02 PM »
I am so burnt out from any Game Show having Celebrity shows. Millionaire,TPIR,Feud it's just boring.

I couldn't have said it better. I hardly watch any game shows with celebrity contestants because the game play almost always takes a back seat to giving the celebrities TV time.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 10:58:49 PM »
Certainly a surprise, though I think it's more surprising they never tried a network primetime Wheel special before especially in the late 80s and 90s. It'll be interesting to see what changes are made. Hopefully it's a decent mix of celebrities.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 12:12:52 AM »

I couldn't have said it better. I hardly watch any game shows with celebrity contestants because the game play almost always takes a back seat to giving the celebrities TV time.

Not only that, but there's no real risk involved for the celebrities.

I hope I don't get banned for using The Apprentice as an example, but it was one thing to see regular people compete for the dream job of a lifetime, running one of Donald Trump's companies (yes, I'm drinking the Kool-Aid, but only to make a point).  When it became The Celebrity Apprentice, it's not like Joan Rivers was going to give up her career to work for Donald Trump, and for all the celebrities who got fired, the charities they played for still received a donation from the show.

Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 12:17:00 AM »
Celebrity Apprentice was classic TV though because what was at stake for these C and D listers was their ego. They would somehow manage to pick the most eclectic group of personalities and knew how to pair exactly right people up to grind each others gears. The stuff they did with Gary Busey was amazing, although sad in a way because he’s clearly a head case to begin with since his accident.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 05:59:35 AM »
That’s what gets eyeballs.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 07:28:23 AM »

Family Feud almost never has celebrities anymore.  In fact, I don't think they've had a special in the past half-decade.  I'm not counting the Celebrity Family Feud specials that air during the summer.  Those are separate IMO, and it's only one show per week during the off-season.  I'm neutral with Millionaire, and I'll agree for TPIR since the gameplay is altered somewhat with the stars (where in other gameshows the gameplay isn't altered).  But FF hasn't done those on the regular show in quite a long time (where the celebrities would be on the show for the entire week, as opposed to one day for a once a week broadcast).

That said, I agree with imhomerjay over having the stars.  I get that it may be overdone, but it's a great business decision.  Really, it can get boring when you have regular contestant that aren't any good or don't understand the rules & format which may lead to a below average product.

I'm not totally excited for Primetime Wheel, personally, but I'm excited that they're giving it a go.  I'm interested to see how it'll play out; Wheel has become stale over the past several years, but with rather new leadership, I imagine that the show will be an improvement from what we've seen over the recent past
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 10:03:15 AM »
Here's the "bind" I see with this: you get a potentially larger audience. Let's be clear, this is filer material giving the regular series a rest, but still. So for your big, glitzy (?) prime-time debut, the show plays almost exactly as it did in 1995. "Oh, that's still around?" Sure, celebrity appeal might bring you some attention, that's the point. But is that going to have spillover to the regular version? I'm dubious.

But if you have some freshening that's been planned though not yet implemented for whatever reasons (budget, pandemic, getting used to the show), you've essentially blown the shot to impress any added audience with the freshened approach in a primetime, um, showcase.

Now, if you really don't have much in the conceptual stage other than maintaining the status quo, no harm, no foul. Take the few episodes to have some fun, ABC gets some fresh filler and everyone goes on their merry way.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 08:54:24 PM »
I find it quite interesting that there has never been a primetime network Wheel like there was with Jeopardy! (remember Super Jeopardy from 1990?). Also, the show as a whole will be the latest to air on all of the Big Three networks at one time or another: NBC (daytime from 1975 to '89, and again in 1991), CBS (daytime from 1989 to '90), and now ABC. And it's an added bonus to have the ABC O&O's already airing the syndicated Wheel and J! on weeknights.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 09:26:03 PM »
The problem with Wheel quite simply is that it’s pretty dull, and there isn’t a whole lot that can be done to make it more exciting or entertaining, it’s kind of married to a format that doesn’t lend itself to much in the way of skill or strategy.