6 (2.7%)
Levar Burton
12 (5.3%)
David Faber
26 (11.5%)
Joe Buck
8 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Jeopardy! Post-Alex Discussion Post  (Read 105408 times)

Offline JarodJGames

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Jeopardy To Resume Taping On 11/30 With Interim Guest Hosts
« Reply #225 on: May 21, 2021, 07:42:54 PM »
Kinda liked on today's Episode Buzzy paid a small tribute to Brayden Smith
CSS Stats:
Season 17-Only one of the Top 28 to fail to cash ONE SHOWCASE (12th Overall in Points)
Season 18-8th in Points, 39th in Cash
Season 19 Regular Season-11th in Points, 29th in Cash
Season 19 Playoffs-13th in Points, Failed to Cash
FIRST CASHED SHOWCASE EVER: 11/17/21

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #226 on: May 21, 2021, 07:59:51 PM »
I'd like to see whoever the host is approaches the show like Tom Kennedy did when he took over Password Plus after Allen Ludden took ill and eventually passed away. On PP's finale, Tom said he wasn't replacing Allen because he couldn't be replaced; he was merely filling in while Allen was taking care of other business.

Audiences can speak volumes: in 1969 when Bob Clayton took over Concentration (selected by original host Hugh Downs), the show didn't miss a beat because Clayton was well liked. In March, NBC decided to replace Clayton with Ed McMahon, and ratings tumbled. In September, NBC realized they goofed and brought Clayton back to the host position.

Yeah, NBC goofed by replacing Clayton with Ed McMahon. Ed was great as Johnny's sidekick, but Concentration was beneath him.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #227 on: June 10, 2021, 06:48:12 PM »
Any thoughts here on Mayim Bialik’s run and performance as guest host? In short, I like her. I think she’s doing a great job. She’s really enjoying her turn, shows humor at times, and interacts with the contestants well I’d say. As far as becoming the permanent host, she does have much past TV experience, she’s a woman (frankly I think that helps her case), she’s quite intelligent and holds a Ph.D, and she’s of an age where she could possibly host for a long time.

I would not be surprised at all if she’s selected, and if I were making the decision, she’d be right up there with Ken Jennings and Aaron Rodgers, so far. :-)

Online JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #228 on: June 10, 2021, 10:43:29 PM »
I think Mayim has done well overall, she started out being very robotic in her presentation but less so as her stint has gone on. She certainly has a chance I would say.

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #229 on: June 13, 2021, 01:41:42 PM »
Despite some noticeable flaws, I think Mayim did a great job as the guest host these past two weeks.

And as for Savannah Gutherie, she has revealed in an interview with People Magazine’s Naledi Ushe that she is not interested in permanently hosting the show joining Katie Couric and Bill Whittaker as guest hosts not interested in becoming the permanent host.

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #230 on: July 12, 2021, 10:32:48 AM »
I hate to self reply on an inactive thread, but today's Good Morning America did a segment on George Stephanopoulos’ hosting stint for the week. Nothing worthy to note, just some shots from behind the scenes and staging. Along with him studying the big sheet of clues with contestants saying how great he was as host.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #231 on: July 29, 2021, 11:05:44 AM »
Levar isn’t as good as I thought him to be.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #232 on: July 29, 2021, 02:02:04 PM »
Levar isn’t as good as I thought him to be.

LeVar did say in one of the interviews he did that he was having some trouble getting the hang of hosting. And between the tapings of the first and second games, he talked with his wife, who advised him to start being himself compared to his performance on his first show.

And I may have been among the many who rooted for him to get a guest hosting spot, but if he had more time than a single day for them to acclimate him, he would have been great. But his week as guest host has been a disappointment, and the only highlight of his run is a multiday super champion in the making.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 02:09:20 PM by jude_este »

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #233 on: July 30, 2021, 09:00:30 PM »
Lavar, for someone who wanted this hosting gig i thought he would of been better. He did improved  on Thursday's show. I think with some work and more practice he could probably do a great job hosting Jeopardy or some other game show. I think people are getting burnt out from all the guest hosts. They need to name one.

If Ken gets the Jeopardy hosting job, Matt would make a good Chaser on The Chase if they decide to bring in another Jeopardy person.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 09:02:39 PM by Reloaden »

Online JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #234 on: July 30, 2021, 09:57:20 PM »
I would say Levar was good, but not great. It was a short sample size, but I just don't think his presentation style fits the show well enough.

I have to think they're going to announce the permanent host soon, with the season ending in two weeks and tapings for the new season beginning. If Ken does become the host I don't think they necessarily need to add another chaser since they would still have three with Brad, James, and the Beast.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #235 on: July 31, 2021, 02:40:16 PM »
LeVar was mediocre and not quite worth the hype. Maybe with a little more preparation, he could be a far more worthy guest host.

Is there any word yet on when production of S38 will start? Here's hoping they don't surprise people with who's hosting like they did this past season.

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #236 on: July 31, 2021, 04:04:58 PM »
Is there any word yet on when production of S38 will start? Here's hoping they don't surprise people with who's hosting like they did this past season.

PatrickRox80, according to some members (such as this member) of the JBoard message board who auditioned on Zoom, per the contestant producer at the member's audition said that Season 38 begins production in the middle to later part of this upcoming month.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #237 on: July 31, 2021, 08:31:34 PM »
I have to think they're going to announce the permanent host soon, with the season ending in two weeks and tapings for the new season beginning. If Ken does become the host I don't think they necessarily need to add another chaser since they would still have three with Brad, James, and the Beast.

Some might even wonder if they were thinking that Ken would be (or would be needed more in the production end as he was first announced last year) and that being the reason why they brought in the fourth (new, but really old) chaser this season, so it would be ready to go without Ken?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #238 on: August 01, 2021, 09:40:48 PM »
Whenever they announce the new host, it's safe to say that the other "likely" candidate (Aaron Rodgers) will not be the guy.

Levar was fine.  I think he met the expectations.  Nothing he did was cause for a standing ovation, and he didn't suck at all.  Just a TV legend making the best out of a spot that was in no way, shape, or form permanent, but rather deserving (if you ask his fans).

Maybe I'm missing something, but does Ken have to bolt from his Chase duties if he gets the job?  Times may be different (well, they are), but Alex hosted several other shows simultaneous to fulfilling his Jeopardy! duties.
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #239 on: August 01, 2021, 09:47:32 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but does Ken have to bolt from his Chase duties if he gets the job?  Times may be different (well, they are), but Alex hosted several other shows simultaneous to fulfilling his Jeopardy! duties.

I don't think he'd necessarily have to leave The Chase for that reason. Doesn't Steve Harvey have 2-3 shows right now? I guess it's been a while since I've watched anything with him in it so I'm not sure.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.