Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 362728 times)

Offline holdme

• In Contestant's Row
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1155 on: October 04, 2021, 12:11:19 PM »
My apologies, but can someone confirm what PG 1 was and the result for the currently airing episode?

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #1156 on: October 04, 2021, 12:13:27 PM »
Double Prices, it was won.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Online tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1157 on: October 04, 2021, 08:24:53 PM »
Hot take: the pink contestant’s row is one of the ugliest props the show has ever used.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #1158 on: October 04, 2021, 10:19:03 PM »
Very minor detail note rewatching On The Nose’s premiere:

The mat the contestant stands on is the same as the one laid at the big wheel.

Offline CaseyBuck

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #1159 on: October 04, 2021, 10:54:30 PM »
Hot take: the pink contestant’s row is one of the ugliest props the show has ever used.
I don't think that's very hot of a take, considering they turned it back to green a year later.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #1160 on: October 05, 2021, 12:33:45 AM »

Hey now... I kinda dig it. Not as much as the classic green mind you, but I don't think it was horrendous.

The actual retail price is...

Offline gsn93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1161 on: October 05, 2021, 02:52:03 AM »
The pink clashes with the rest of the set which is dominantly green. Seats, turntable carpet, door frames. I don't mind it, but the gold boarder around the displays look horrible.
Total HYO Winnings: $101,775(as of 5/10/10)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #1162 on: October 05, 2021, 03:23:24 AM »
When did the pink Contestants' Row debut, anyway?  I've been skimming the spreadsheet, and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline gsn93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1163 on: October 05, 2021, 03:38:51 AM »
Unless I'm mistaken Steve it debut on the 13th season premiere. It was still green on Thursday of the final week of season 12.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 03:43:54 AM by gsn93 »
Total HYO Winnings: $101,775(as of 5/10/10)

Offline pricefan1991

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1164 on: October 05, 2021, 05:46:44 AM »
It was green on the last episode of S12, so it would be the S13 premiere

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1165 on: October 05, 2021, 06:29:59 AM »
Wild disagreement on the pink contestants row.  Love it and actually think it matches the turntable walls well.  Only real flaw  is they should have revisited the screen colors on the actual displays.  Green needed to go.  On the fence about orange.  Blue and red worked well. 

If anything they really should have gone further. The green trim and carpet on the post-82 turntable is ridiculous and its unbelievable it lasts for another eight years. 

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1166 on: October 05, 2021, 07:41:47 AM »
Count me in as one that admired the pink contestant row borders.  It fit the decade quite well;  I believe hot pink was an 80s thing.  It was different & unique.  I'm happy they went back to green but I didn't have a problem with it at all.  However, I disagree with the turntable.  I felt the update in autumn of 1982 was perfect enough.  Fit the era quite well.  I don't think it's a major clash unless one was present in the studio during a taping.  Based off of the camera shots, I don't think it was a super big deal.  JMO; I love a green & pink combo FWIW.

I'm not sure how they could've updated the turntable in the 80s, and I'm not sure what would have been a better color scheme.  I personally would have hated it if the 1992 update happened a decade earlier.  Yes that is unfair from me since I was not a fan of the change back them, but looking back, the change that also lasted a decade (for the most part) was more fitting in the 90s, whereas the 1982-1992 set would've been super outdated had they left it alone
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1167 on: October 05, 2021, 09:37:47 AM »
On the Nose for a trailer in the 7am hour. They did some funky things we had no idea about until this channel.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1168 on: October 05, 2021, 12:44:41 PM »
And with that, a full 400 episodes have now surfaced over on Pluto, right on up to the October 3, 1984 episode (5423D).

Set changes/notes:

*Card Game has dropped its "New" from the title as of 5383D, the final playing of Season 12.
*The pink Contestants' Row borders and second-generation Showcase podiums made their debut with the Season 13 premiere.
*Penny Ante's new white sign with additions to the game side colors were introduced on 5415D, its first Season 13 playing. The main game board however still features its original green-blue pattern of various shades. Those would be changed to a single shade of green and blue sometime in 1985. That playing also featured broken Yes/No placards, one of the problems that would become more apparent with the prop as the years went on. That episode also featured On the Nose played for a trailer, with football as the sport.
*Season 12's "Double Dollar drought" was broken on 5424D, the next-to-last episode of the season.
*Theodore "Ted" Slauson is barely distinguishable in the Season 12 finale (5425D).
*As of 5423D, Most Expensive is still using its set introduced in 1975, the Clam last revised early in Season 12 in the interior and on the exterior in 1975 is also still in use. This narrows down the set change for ME to just the next three playings. Also, the original "sportstype" scoreboard in the SCSD is still present. These changes, along with a new, brighter green Turntable carpet trim should be present by 5442D (10/16/84), the earliest known show taped following a summer taping hiatus.
*Walk of Fame has dropped "That's Entertainment" as its prize cue for a low-pitched variant of the future "Make Your Move" cue since 5342D.

Hopefully, Santa Claus will come to town to give us the next batch, which in addition to the upcoming set changes, should provide the opportunity for even nicer prizes and Showcases as the CBS winnings' cap gets raised from $25,000 to $50,000. This will probably be anywhere from 4-6 cycles away, with five cycles occurring right after Christmas.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 12:49:15 PM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1169 on: October 05, 2021, 01:05:51 PM »
I forgot to mention that the 3 Strikes Pricedown Dollar sign was absent for whatever reason on the episode that aired on 06/13/1984 (5373).  I wonder if they were planning to have the plus sign & to play the 5 digit version before settling for the regular version. 

From there they ended up removing the dollar sign.  Just personal speculation, but the Pricedown Dollar sign was not there on 5373D nonetheless.

I don't think we'll get the new drop (to get to 500) until the new year.  With 88 days left of 2021 including the date of this post, if they run the 400 five times it's unlikely.  Plus we'll get a couple marathons including Christmas which would help push the release out further.  If my math is correct, it's a 16 day, 16 hour cycle.  They could start something before the year is up, but I doubt they complete everything before New Year's.  OTOH, they could surprise us and start releasing new stuff next month
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck