Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 368790 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Bob Barker era reruns returning to Pluto TV beginning tomorrow 12/1/20
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2020, 02:48:58 PM »
There was a ninth new show at 10am, then they continued looping the first 8, and now as of 2pm Eastern this is the third time this same episode has run today.

So they must have 9 they are running on the daily, at least right now. Interesting one is already airing for a 3rd time too.

Online Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2020, 03:02:20 PM »
I too cannot believe how HD this last episode appears to me too.   I’m glad I’m not the only one.

For being circa-1982 video, done with Norelco PC60 cameras and (I assume) 2" quad tape, these digitizations *do* look amazing. I won't deduct points for the streaming medium affecting the frame rate, though.......

......on a show-related note, I guess I never realized as a kid how *tough* Poker Game was. And am I alone in thinking Holly looked like Debralee Scott back then?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 03:05:46 PM by Chief-O »

Offline mkeeney

• In the Audience
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2020, 03:16:10 PM »
I'm glad they are airing these.  I can't stand watching Drew Carey and the mess the show is now. 

This was always Bob's show.

Offline plinkowin2010

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2020, 03:24:08 PM »
it was great seeing these episodes again on Pluto TV. I miss some of the prizes and small prizes that was used in the pricing games. The blue cards with the brand names. It was great hearing the old music cues and full description of the prizes, small prizes, and grocery products and the consolation prizes. I miss the old doors, contestants row, the curtains behind the studio, showcase skits, and some of the retired pricing games. If they would bring back it's optional, how many chances would they give the contestant?

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2020, 03:26:57 PM »
I think Dennis might have argued that point, but meh.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2020, 04:19:39 PM »
Any new information uncovered from the episodes that have aired so far that affects the Pricing Game calendar and/or TPiR timeline?

According to the episode with the Emmy win mention that aired a bit ago again, per a comment on the YouTube clip of segment #1, it aired September 30th, 1982. That show had Danger Price played first, and the calendar has the only show of that week with that slotted there as airing September 27th. If the comment is accurate, then that should be moved.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2020, 04:29:37 PM »
Not sure if this is the 9th episode they aired earlier or not, but I see Race Game has made an appearance now in this one for first time. So there goes any question of copyright issues with it.

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2020, 04:31:00 PM »
Been watching this afternoon while working remotely. I can hardly believe my eyes and ears.

Couple of random observations:

1) The diversity of the contestants is so much more in these old episodes. I don't mean in terms of what people look like but their personalities. Today is all people amped up on Red Bull trying to go viral. Back then you had everyone from the typical housewife to the excited husband to people who barely spoke English...all adding their own unique charm to the show.

2) The contents are so much more...calm. Love it!

3) Bob keeps the show moving so briskly with no loss of excitement. Also love it.

4) No one has talked about how good the audio is on these digital conversions. The losing horns and bass buzzer had a punch on my TV I was not expecting.

5) The picture is so clear and crisp...perhaps to a fault. I never realized how horrible that early 80s set looked with the multicolored rugs and paper mache stucco used on the turntable and perhaps styrofoam on the Showcase podia.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2020, 04:49:26 PM »
I'm glad they are airing these.  I can't stand watching Drew Carey and the mess the show is now. 

Except when it wasnt... :roll:

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2020, 04:52:55 PM »
For being circa-1982 video, done with Norelco PC60 cameras and (I assume) 2" quad tape, these digitizations *do* look amazing. I won't deduct points for the streaming medium affecting the frame rate, though.......

Yes, the Norelco PC-60 cameras (electronically upgraded to essentially be PC-70s) were still in use at Television City in 1982. They were at that time about 17 years old and still producing great pictures. Sometime the following year, the Norelcos were replaced with Hitachi SK-110 cameras. The show was still being recorded on two-inch quadruplex videotape in 1982. A switch to one-inch tape occurred within the next year or so.

The library of TPIR episodes was transferred to a digital videotape format (Digital Betacam) in the early 1990s. These tapes were used when GSN ran episodes of the show on cable. But now for Internet distribution, it is necessary to transcode the Digital Betacam copies to digital computer files. This might explain why only a relatively small sampling of classic episodes is in the immediate rotation. Time and money are necessary to perform the digital conversions.

I have seen the Pluto TV episodes only on my iPhone, and the image quality looks very good there. It appears that the standard definition (640 x 480) video is being upscaled to a higher video resolution. Yet it still looks good.

People involved with the current iteration of the show ought to watch these early 1980s episodes. They serve as a reminder of the program’s high production values and excellent direction and camerawork.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2020, 05:23:06 PM »
What’s really making me cry is to see all the “old schoolers” who are posting here in this thread.  For how long we have this gift I do not know, but I’m gonna cherish every moment.

I realized why the first rerun incarnation didn’t take off:  Bob was still on hosting new shows and the feel was still there.  I knew I was a junkie, but with this “smack high” I’m not sure what will happen if it’s taken away again.

❤️ to Fremantle, Viacom, CBS, Bob. 

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2020, 05:42:52 PM »
Man, watching these classics not only makes me nostalgic (even if the ones aired today were from before I was born), but makes me realize just how much I miss classic TPIR. The presentation, the cues, the prizes, competent showcase writing, Bob at the top of his game, Johnny Olson at his finest... damn I miss this. Not saying that the show is bad today, mind you, and none of this would work on Drew's show... but this is the show I grew up with, and the show I've sorely missed the past thirteen years.

Please, please, please, for the love of God and all things holy, don't stop. I've become more and more of a fan of Pluto TV lately because they've really added a bunch of different content that appeals to all groups of people, but three game show channels, one dedicated to the single greatest game show of all time? And all for the amazingly low price of free? Yes please!
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2020, 06:35:46 PM »
I've been enjoying it too. I've made it no secret that I enjoy the show now and a lot of what they're doing, but man...this has been fun.

-Johnny Olsen is the best announcer this show had. Periodt. (Note- I love how he says "and now, here's the star of the NIGHTtime Price is right"- there was a certain way he said it that i love.
-The camera hid...so, so much. Let me explain...HD is bringing to light every nook, cranny, stucco (there was a LOT Of stucco) vinyl, peeling paint, covers on screens, everything
-The 80s trip skins are definitely a product of its time. Ok, some of them are just ugly.
-The backdrops they used for cars are...also a product of its time.

I realized why the first rerun incarnation didn’t take off:  Bob was still on hosting new shows and the feel was still there.
Someone can correct me, but I think the entire reason why GSN lost the rights was because someone didnt sign to extend the rights...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 06:38:47 PM by urbanpreppie0004 »

Offline DYC

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2020, 06:52:04 PM »
What’s really making me cry is to see all the “old schoolers” who are posting here in this thread.  For how long we have this gift I do not know, but I’m gonna cherish every moment.

I realized why the first rerun incarnation didn’t take off:  Bob was still on hosting new shows and the feel was still there.  I knew I was a junkie, but with this “smack high” I’m not sure what will happen if it’s taken away again.

❤️ to Fremantle, Viacom, CBS, Bob.

FPGWillyT, I echo every sentiment you’ve put in this thread.

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2020, 06:55:04 PM »
Someone can correct me, but I think the entire reason why GSN lost the rights was because someone didnt sign to extend the rights...
And I'd bet dollars to donuts that someone's name was Les Moonves.