Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 368166 times)

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Bob Barker era reruns returning to Pluto TV beginning tomorrow 12/1/20
« Reply #420 on: December 10, 2020, 06:44:28 PM »
Another thing I've enjoyed from the clips I've seen: the continuity of the music packages.  We were working with the '72, '74 and '76 packages exclusively at this point, and they all have a harmony of theme that makes soundtrack sound consistent.  The '83 package soon to come, while producing some good and endearing cues that were used for years, did not quite fit the musical theme employed to this point, though not quite the jarring situation by the '00s where you had the unfitting '94 and '03 packages mixed in as well.

This stance is admirable but unrealistic. No one is going to stop finding ways to back-door their way into the programming they want to see — which, per your argument, would mean no resolution will ever be found.  So...hop on a VPN and enjoy what you’re missing. :P

Not going to happen.

The lighting was absolutely re-done during the tape break.  Don't know if 33 just got a new lighting grid (haven't scrutinized the episodes that hard - yet) or if they made more deliberate creative changes, but the lighting on nearly every shot has changed (less of a whitewash with fill lighting, more darkness and shadow and darker tones).

I knew there had to be some kind of change and it was not just the age of tapes all these years.  The early '80s episodes always looked brighter than those by the mid '80s.  That evidently explains it.

I totally miss this blue "spyhole" circles that were done during One Bid.  I'm not sure what the official name or the best way to describe it; I'm sorry.  Just one of several things that were done away with when Paul Alter took over from Marc

My favourite use of this effect was when there would be a wipe-in to transition to a flat concealing the One Bid, which would then pull apart to reveal the item.  The visual trick of "pushing in" the flat to "pull it away" revealing something behind it was just so slick.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #421 on: December 10, 2020, 07:03:28 PM »
Really painful DOB on the 6pm reairing......the 2nd contestant Esther was only over by $5......how many over the years have been over by that or less? Anyone got a general idea?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #422 on: December 10, 2020, 07:14:59 PM »
Really painful DOB on the 6pm reairing......the 2nd contestant Esther was only over by $5......how many over the years have been over by that or less? Anyone got a general idea?
At least two (one in 1974, one in 2004) were over by only $1. (If memory serves, the 2004 instance was a $12,000 bid on an $11,999 Showcase).

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #423 on: December 10, 2020, 07:21:33 PM »
At least two (one in 1974, one in 2004) were over by only $1. (If memory serves, the 2004 instance was a $12,000 bid on an $11,999 Showcase).

I think I remember the latter $1 one. That'd be kinda the definition of a forced loss/overbid, especially in 2004.

And on that subject......can anybody recall many other Golden Road playings that had a choice between numbers only a digit apart for the first prize (let alone using the 4 twice in a row at that for both said prize and the second one), like the one that aired yesterday did? That seemed like a pretty evil setup. It'd be easy to get tripped up there, even though the contestant playing managed not to.

Offline name456

• In the Audience
« Reply #424 on: December 11, 2020, 12:25:45 AM »
This is going strictly by memory, but I seem to recall the episodes being aired out of order between now and around Christmas 82 because of differences in the set. It would go back to the old background one episode then the new the next.

One thing that always stuck with me was a serigraph offered as a price (maybe an item up for bid) around Christmas. Bob and Johnny try to figure out what it is. Later Bob makes a remark about Sarah Graff. One of those things that makes me miss Bob and Johnny interactions to this day.

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #425 on: December 11, 2020, 02:54:11 AM »
This is going strictly by memory, but I seem to recall the episodes being aired out of order between now and around Christmas 82 because of differences in the set. It would go back to the old background one episode then the new the next.

Just to remind everyone - we have an FAQ/Timeline on this site that is very detailed and points these things out. For example:

Week 11 (467): November 15-19

During this week's shows, the Home Viewer Showcase "Family Christmas" is presented.
On this week's shows, all panels of the Turntable wall except for the back side of the spinning panel are changed to display the purple-red-orange pattern, and the chase lights on the Turntable walls are removed. This change is not permanent at this time, as this week of shows was taped out of order.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #426 on: December 11, 2020, 04:07:38 AM »
I had to laugh a moment ago on the 3am rerun that's almost over as I type this. I love Johnny, and to this day see him as the best announcer Price has ever had, even as good as Rod and now George is (Rich I'd say is 4th), but him referring to Nintendo as "Ninetendo" in the showcase when describing the Palmtex hand-held game really was funny to me. I had to double-check that Nintendo was attached to those games at the time in fact, to make sure I was hearing him right. Whatever happened to this little company I wonder?  :-D :D  ;-)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #427 on: December 11, 2020, 06:03:24 AM »
Looks like they are refreshing at 6AM today vs. noon as they had been since Monday. Last episode of the Home Viewer Showcase week is on now. Will be interesting to see how they handle rest of schedule from here through the weekend.

EDIT: As a sidenote, this is the famous episode seen on clip shows in the past, that sees a woman named Marlene get called and run up and then back down the aisle at the start of the 2nd segment, vs. go to contestant's row from where she was in the front row.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 06:12:09 AM by pricefan18 »

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #428 on: December 11, 2020, 08:47:50 AM »
I had to laugh a moment ago on the 3am rerun that's almost over as I type this. I love Johnny, and to this day see him as the best announcer Price has ever had, even as good as Rod and now George is (Rich I'd say is 4th), but him referring to Nintendo as "Ninetendo" in the showcase when describing the Palmtex hand-held game really was funny to me.
While watching an episode of Narz Concentration, Johnny was describing some “TV Games” made by Coleco, which he pronounced as “Co-leck-oh” even as the logo at the time said “Colēco”.  A later episode had him pronounce it correctly, but it was jarring to hear him say it wrong.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #429 on: December 11, 2020, 09:01:36 AM »
7:59am CST
FINALLY!!!

And an old friend of CSS players makes an appearance!

Edit at 9:59am CST
Was that HA&TB playing during first showcase airing at edited time?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 11:01:40 AM by FPGWillyT »

Offline greg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #430 on: December 11, 2020, 10:41:21 AM »
I’m really really enjoying Penny Ante, Poker Game, Trader Bob, & Hit Me.... I always loved these games & I’m excited to see them all again.  I’m missing Hurdles... has it been on & I just missed it or was it retired before these episodes?

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #431 on: December 11, 2020, 10:59:02 AM »
I’m really really enjoying Penny Ante, Poker Game, Trader Bob, & Hit Me.... I always loved these games & I’m excited to see them all again.  I’m missing Hurdles... has it been on & I just missed it or was it retired before these episodes?

You just missed it by a few days as Hurdles was on one of the shows that aired on Monday.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #432 on: December 11, 2020, 11:35:11 AM »
I have noticed by watching these Season 11 episodes so far, the models' wardrobe was dressed more conservative as a whole given the amount of dresses/skirts they wore (and even the same outfits on multiple episodes), perhaps because of the times in the state back then. They wore pants I think about once every week or once every two weeks so far.

Poor Gina, if she had bid $15,000 on that showcase or thereabouts, she would have won them both and would have had a huge haul.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #433 on: December 11, 2020, 11:50:50 AM »
You just missed it by a few days as Hurdles was on one of the shows that aired on Monday.

I think you might have a chance to catch it between 12-1 EST.

Poor Gina, if she had bid $15,000 on that showcase or thereabouts, she would have won them both and would have had a huge haul.

For real!  Although IMO, Gina was trying to go for the DSW with that extra $500 (a strategy that worked before even before the increase to $250 for both showcases)
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #434 on: December 11, 2020, 12:08:43 PM »
I think you might have a chance to catch it between 12-1 EST.

I guess not.  They've moved onto 4963D.  Seventh new episode of the day.  Still a long way to go in terms of figuring out how Pluto will run their episodes on a regular basis or what they mentioned in their release
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck