Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 368239 times)

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Bob Barker era reruns returning to Pluto TV beginning tomorrow 12/1/20
« Reply #465 on: December 11, 2020, 08:04:22 PM »
Some of you folks here aren’t going to be satisfied no matter what Pluto does.  We’re getting reruns of episodes not seen in almost 40 years...and yet you’re still complaining.  Pluto is likely one day to completely pull the channel and we won’t have anything.  We should be thankful we have a place where we can get our Bob fix of Price anytime we want.

And call me crazy, but I like the new change.  The first week, I caught Price a few days (Wednesday and Saturday) for a few hours each day (which is what your casual viewer is doing, not the die hards here that are likely recording each episode).  By the time Saturday came, I was already seeing repeats.  I would imagine the 100-episode block is so that the casual viewers aren’t seeing repeats as often.

Also, I hope the channel stays for longer than just showing everything through once.  Most of us probably want to get to some Rod Roddy episodes at some point.  The only way we’re going to get there in any kind of quick fashion is for new episodes to actually air.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #466 on: December 11, 2020, 08:13:39 PM »
Some of you folks here aren’t going to be satisfied no matter what Pluto does.  We’re getting reruns of episodes not seen in almost 40 years...and yet you’re still complaining.  Pluto is likely one day to completely pull the channel and we won’t have anything.  We should be thankful we have a place where we can get our Bob fix of Price anytime we want.

And call me crazy, but I like the new change.  The first week, I caught Price a few days (Wednesday and Saturday) for a few hours each day (which is what your casual viewer is doing, not the die hards here that are likely recording each episode).  By the time Saturday came, I was already seeing repeats.  I would imagine the 100-episode block is so that the casual viewers aren’t seeing repeats as often.

Also, I hope the channel stays for longer than just showing everything through once.  Most of us probably want to get to some Rod Roddy episodes at some point.  The only way we’re going to get there in any kind of quick fashion is for new episodes to actually air.

I'd sorta be ok watching like 2 or 3 shows a day fresh at random times honestly. As I said before, I was burning out on 6 (and day 1 9) new shows a day, it got to be too much time wise and even otherwise. Constantly having new episodes would be good that way, and chances of seeing repeats wouldn't be too high at a few a day or so.

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #467 on: December 11, 2020, 09:38:49 PM »
This is AWESOME!!!

I don't think you are going to have to worry about Pluto TV going anywhere!  They have been around for several years and are always adding new content. There was a playing of Bonus Game around an episode I watched at about 7:45 PM (CST) and the lady had 3/4 small prize windows lit, and my Internet connection goes down, just as Bob says, "I'm almost afraid to proceed. I don't know how many times a contestant got 3/4 prizes right, and lost the bonus prize window." Did she win?

Question are they going in episode blocks per day and than repeating them at night?  If so how many episodes in a block?  I saw a Hurdles playing and part of the episode with the lady who takes the long way around to "Come on Down" (Marlene Miles!) and the same show where an audience member's gum flies out of her mouth when giving bidding advice!

The only downsides are that Pluto TV has no schedule or keyword search to find shows, which would be a Godsend if added!

Joe

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #468 on: December 11, 2020, 09:50:01 PM »
Guys,

Do you think that Pluto can only do episodes from 1982 and beyond because they can't show any episodes where furs were given away as prizes? And if they go from 1972-1981, they would have to axe any such episodes with furs in them?  I think Pluto payed a fortune for this, so we really should enjoy and share these moments!

The other reason for not being able to air episodes earlier than 1982 could be that some of the master tapes could be in poor condition, and because of COVID and digitizing time, they can't air them.  Quality is AMAZING for what I have seen so far!

Joe

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #469 on: December 11, 2020, 10:07:36 PM »
This is AWESOME!!!

I don't think you are going to have to worry about Pluto TV going anywhere!  They have been around for several years and are always adding new content. There was a playing of Bonus Game around an episode I watched at about 7:45 PM (CST) and the lady had 3/4 small prize windows lit, and my Internet connection goes down, just as Bob says, "I'm almost afraid to proceed. I don't know how many times a contestant got 3/4 prizes right, and lost the bonus prize window." Did she win?

Question are they going in episode blocks per day and than repeating them at night?  If so how many episodes in a block?  I saw a Hurdles playing and part of the episode with the lady who takes the long way around to "Come on Down" (Marlene Miles!) and the same show where an audience member's gum flies out of her mouth when giving bidding advice!

The only downsides are that Pluto TV has no schedule or keyword search to find shows, which would be a Godsend if added!

Joe

It's a work in progress.  I can see the concern regarding how they operate.  Meh.  It's football season.  Several people are dealing with that, in addition to work, other obligations, and the holidays (even though they may be a little different this year).  In terms of catching every episode and when they air, with the intent of trying to catch something one missed during its original CBS run & the GSN airing, I understand the gripe.  Other than that, not a big deal anymore.  I can do whatever it is I'm doing, and then catch a random TPIR episode from 1982-1983.  It's a nice thing, a blessing.  It does suck that they don't list what's coming up, so that is a valid argument.

As for that Bonus Game result 3/4?  Yes the contestant won.

Nothing from the first ten seasons.  Several reasons & guidelines prevent that from happening now.  Outside of bad quality, I don't see those airing anytime soon, if at all
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #470 on: December 11, 2020, 10:14:35 PM »

Saturday was designated for repeats.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #471 on: December 11, 2020, 10:37:13 PM »

Saturday was designated for repeats.

As was Sunday. And to answer the earlier question here....it was initially 4 6 hour blocks (2-12 hour ones last weekend), after 9 aired in 10 hours or so at launch Day 1 before it settled into that, and since 6AM this morning it's been straight through new with no apparent change coming. But time will tell if that sticks or not.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #472 on: December 11, 2020, 11:16:43 PM »
Guys,

Do you think that Pluto can only do episodes from 1982 and beyond because they can't show any episodes where furs were given away as prizes? And if they go from 1972-1981, they would have to axe any such episodes with furs in them?

This is exactly why, GSN never aired any fur episodes either. Although some feel differently, I suspect this rule won’t outlive Bob. Once Bob is gone, after a sufficient amount of time has passed, I think they’ll go backwards in the archive, perhaps air them with a disclaimer similar to what WB, Disney, and MGM do with racially insensitive cartoons from the 30’s and 40’s.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #473 on: December 11, 2020, 11:27:06 PM »
This is exactly why, GSN never aired any fur episodes either. Although some feel differently, I suspect this rule won’t outlive Bob. Once Bob is gone, after a sufficient amount of time has passed, I think they’ll go backwards in the archive, perhaps air them with a disclaimer similar to what WB, Disney, and MGM do with racially insensitive cartoons from the 30’s and 40’s.

This should be corrected to state that they did air a handful, but those were by accident, they had slipped through the cracks of the editors going through the shows to see which had furs and which did not.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #474 on: December 11, 2020, 11:40:13 PM »
Given the fact that they've lacked consistency, I've been wondering if on Christmas (or even Christmas week) we could see a full day of Christmas shows the show has done within Bob's last 25 years.  I don't think I'd sit through that (as if it were Midnight Madness for College Hoops), but in my honest opinion, if Pluto aired those Christmas episodes consecutively I would love it.

I'm not going to bet that obviously.  At least this year.  Unless they edited/formatted those episodes to the point where they'd be ready to air on Pluto Television
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #475 on: December 11, 2020, 11:46:17 PM »
Given the fact that they've lacked consistency, I've been wondering if on Christmas (or even Christmas week) we could see a full day of Christmas shows the show has done within Bob's last 25 years.  I don't think I'd sit through that (as if it were Midnight Madness for College Hoops), but in my honest opinion, if Pluto aired those Christmas episodes consecutively I would love it.

I'm not going to bet that obviously.  At least this year.  Unless they edited/formatted those episodes to the point where they'd be ready to air on Pluto Television

Well....when the channel initially launched.......that WAS touted as something they had planned, so it may well be possible......that would be lots of fun if so. Did the earlier Christmas shows (seeing as the tradition started in 79 right?) have any furs? I wonder if somehow even those may get unearthed, though I doubt it.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #476 on: December 12, 2020, 12:04:01 AM »
Nothing from the first ten seasons.  Several reasons & guidelines prevent that from happening now.  Outside of bad quality, I don't see those airing anytime soon, if at all

What are the reasons and guidelines?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #477 on: December 12, 2020, 12:06:38 AM »
They played Clock Game for a car?!
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #478 on: December 12, 2020, 12:11:43 AM »
They played Clock Game for a car?!

They played it for a few different 4 digit prizes back then.....another one came up that was something around $1700 just the other day. I don't remember offhand how long the experiment lasted, wasn't long as best I recall, but...it was a thing for a little while in this era.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #479 on: December 12, 2020, 01:11:04 AM »
It’s Christmas time already on Pluto!  Guess I’m not watching NYPD Blue reruns tonight.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 01:15:51 AM by FPGWillyT »