Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 368809 times)

Offline JediJones

• In the Audience
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #540 on: December 13, 2020, 10:44:51 PM »
Buzzr/Fremantle is notorious for skipping episodes on all of the series they air. There have been lots of reasons speculated for it but I don't think they've ever publicly said why any particular episode was skipped. Some episodes of Tattletales seem to be skipped for celebrity clearance issues (I think Bob Newhart episodes never air). Fremantle may have edited the General Hospital celebrity out of that TPIR episode so they didn't have to bother getting permission from that actor to air it (or they didn't have enough time to get it cleared). I've seen an episode of Press Your Luck that they skipped on YouTube that came from another network's airing and the picture did have some major segments with distortion in it. Buzzr sometimes bleeps out words from episodes that are now considered politically incorrect but weren't back then ("midget," "oriental") and there have been instances where an episode with one of those words in it was skipped completely. One time they aired a Password Plus episode with "Ku Klux Klan" as a puzzle answer but apparently they received complaints and they now skip that episode every time they rerun that week. Music rights are the other big reason episodes seem to be skipped. Apparently, a number of Classic Concentration episodes have been skipped that were from special weeks where popular songs were used to jazz up the episodes. Music rights obviously seem to not be an issue on Pluto although it is still possible there are certain musicians who don't cooperate with Pluto. The aforementioned Tattletales seems to be one of the most afflicted series. From what I've seen, at least one out of every 4 weeks of the series they air has anywhere from 1 to 4 episodes skipped. They do sometimes skip episodes to hold them back to air during a special event broadcast, but that's less common than episodes that are completely skipped and never air.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 10:48:40 PM by JediJones »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #541 on: December 13, 2020, 11:21:54 PM »
This is going back to shows aired, but does anyone know of the 100 they've run/are repeating now, if any have had a DSW win? Having watched much of the 1st 2 weeks before they went all new/different shows vs. cycling, I didn't see any there so unless I missed one I don't think there were any in those first 48, but what about the last 52 they ran? Any there that anyone woulda caught?

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #542 on: December 13, 2020, 11:38:30 PM »
There was one on 4682D, which aired on the third episode of the last 52, at 8 AM EST on 12/11. We already knew about that DSW, however.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline CaseyBuck

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #543 on: December 13, 2020, 11:51:04 PM »
Slight theory: did they skip 4733D because they thought the rickshaw as the 1st IUFB was offensive? Granted, some of Bob's comments that they have aired aren't exactly squeaky-clean, either...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 11:54:15 PM by CaseyBuck »

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #544 on: December 13, 2020, 11:53:54 PM »
How could a rickshaw be "offensive"?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #545 on: December 14, 2020, 12:03:30 AM »
There was one on 4682D, which aired on the third episode of the last 52, at 8 AM EST on 12/11. We already knew about that DSW, however.

I didn't actually, but cool thank you, that would reair let's see...4PM EST Tuesday if I did my math right. Will make a note of that.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #546 on: December 14, 2020, 12:20:32 AM »
Slight theory: did they skip 4733D because they thought the rickshaw as the 1st IUFB was offensive? Granted, some of Bob's comments that they have aired aren't exactly squeaky-clean, either...

I don't see how that'd be more offensive than that one busty woman the other day who wore a shirt that said "I LOVE BOOB BARKER", or that woman who slipped out of her sandals while running up on stage and Bob was excitedly telling her to "show off your footies" while they kept showing close-ups of them.  8-O

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #547 on: December 14, 2020, 01:37:58 AM »
Buzzr aired that episode of PYL where the contestant loudly yells MFer when he hits the whammy, so they aren’t adverse to content issues. It’s weird that they’d have to get clearances from celebrities who appear on the shows as well, you’d think they’d sign a release that would stay in effect in perpetuity, but maybe it’s a union thing for anyone who appears on a show who is a member of SAG or whatever.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #548 on: December 14, 2020, 03:14:54 AM »
This is going back to shows aired, but does anyone know of the 100 they've run/are repeating now, if any have had a DSW win? Having watched much of the 1st 2 weeks before they went all new/different shows vs. cycling, I didn't see any there so unless I missed one I don't think there were any in those first 48, but what about the last 52 they ran? Any there that anyone woulda caught?

Yes.  At least one.  Go back up and find my FINALLY reply.  Posted it shorty after it “aired”, if you want a time frame.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #549 on: December 14, 2020, 03:25:37 AM »
Yes.  At least one.  Go back up and find my FINALLY reply.  Posted it shorty after it “aired”, if you want a time frame.

Yeah I saw that, someone else answered before you, I appreciate it though.   :-)

Offline JediJones

• In the Audience
« Reply #550 on: December 14, 2020, 03:45:41 AM »

Just watched the episode as it was posted here. I wasn't sure if the rickshaw would do it. Then when I saw the oriental rug come up as a prize, I said A-HA, that's it. I guarantee you the episode was skipped because of the oriental rug. I expect Fremantle will ban any episodes offering an oriental rug from airing as fast as Bob Barker banned the episodes with fur coats.

Although it may not make sense to a lot of people, the term "oriental" has become controversial enough that in 2016 a federal law was passed to ban the term from being used in any form by the government. See the quote:

"[Oriental] is an insulting term that needed to be removed from the books, and I am extremely pleased that my legislation to do that is now the law of the land,” Meng said in a statement."

In my research to understand the controversy around this term when I saw Buzzr was blocking it, it appeared that some people considered it offensive when it was used to describe people. It wasn't necessarily supposed to be offensive when used to describe objects. But as usual when it comes to censorship, the common sense and nuance of the situation is abandoned in favor of a blanket ban, just to "be safe." But for all I know, the people who first started questioning the word now consider it offensive no matter in what context it's used. The word has gone through an evolution in which it's now considered taboo and people in the media are "scared" enough to want to avoid the word completely.

No, Buzzr doesn't execute their policies perfectly and sometimes an episode slips through with the word "oriental" or with other words they wouldn't normally allow on the air. But those are mistakes and not their policy.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #551 on: December 14, 2020, 04:23:47 AM »
Just watched the episode as it was posted here. I wasn't sure if the rickshaw would do it. Then when I saw the oriental rug come up as a prize, I said A-HA, that's it. I guarantee you the episode was skipped because of the oriental rug. I expect Fremantle will ban any episodes offering an oriental rug from airing as fast as Bob Barker banned the episodes with fur coats.

Although it may not make sense to a lot of people, the term "oriental" has become controversial enough that in 2016 a federal law was passed to ban the term from being used in any form by the government. See the quote:

"[Oriental] is an insulting term that needed to be removed from the books, and I am extremely pleased that my legislation to do that is now the law of the land,” Meng said in a statement."

In my research to understand the controversy around this term when I saw Buzzr was blocking it, it appeared that some people considered it offensive when it was used to describe people. It wasn't necessarily supposed to be offensive when used to describe objects. But as usual when it comes to censorship, the common sense and nuance of the situation is abandoned in favor of a blanket ban, just to "be safe." But for all I know, the people who first started questioning the word now consider it offensive no matter in what context it's used. The word has gone through an evolution in which it's now considered taboo and people in the media are "scared" enough to want to avoid the word completely.

No, Buzzr doesn't execute their policies perfectly and sometimes an episode slips through with the word "oriental" or with other words they wouldn't normally allow on the air. But those are mistakes and not their policy.

No disrespect but....I think this is stretching things even for 2020, but then again as to put it politely....wild as this year as has been, let alone those before it even in ways, not much would shock me anymore. I don't even know if I heard the word oriental come up honestly watching but might be off on that.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #552 on: December 14, 2020, 05:31:20 AM »
[Theory about oriental rug being the reason for the missing episodes]

Nice thinking, but no. Not only have I seen "Oriental" furniture on Sale of the Century on Buzzr several times, but there was definitely an "Oriental" desk that popped up several times (actually one should have popped up again literally an hour or two ago), and if you want to watch again, at around 12:50 AM tomorrow, 12/15, the second Showcase of 4655D will have an Oriental rug. I think I have video of that one, and might post it early if I remember about it.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #553 on: December 14, 2020, 08:27:08 AM »
There’s absolutely no way it has anything to do with the word Oriental, there have been Oriental rugs and desks, and everything else all over these shows. For episodes 4633 and 4733, since we know those aired on GSN, you can probably chalk those up to issues with digitizing the episodes that they have to go back and fix. Maybe we’ll see them some day, maybe we won’t. For 4775 and 4784, if we don’t think those circulate amongst collectors and aren’t certain if they ever aired on GSN, it’s anyones guess, but the most likely issue would be damage to the master tapes that make them unairable.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #554 on: December 14, 2020, 09:23:13 AM »
You know, I think it genuinely irritated Barker when people didn't know how to price season tickets to sports events based on the numbers of home games each teams played. How long did they go on using those tickets as prizes? I only think they tried it for a few years.