Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 368176 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #555 on: December 14, 2020, 09:28:13 AM »
You know, I think it genuinely irritated Barker when people didn't know how to price season tickets to sports events based on the numbers of home games each teams played. How long did they go on using those tickets as prizes? I only think they tried it for a few years.

Couldn't that be deceiving though in a way? I'd almost wonder if that woulda been part of why they stopped trying it as much as anything.

Online actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #556 on: December 14, 2020, 10:05:24 AM »
Couldn't that be deceiving though in a way? I'd almost wonder if that woulda been part of why they stopped trying it as much as anything.

I don't think so; it just required more specialized knowledge than the show usually called for. I never liked the idea of using them as stage game prizes; season tickets were better as IUFBs (where someone was guaranteed to win them) or showcase prizes (where they were a small part of an overall prize package).

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #557 on: December 14, 2020, 10:22:09 AM »
What confuses me about the season tickets prizes is that they’re only of value to people who live in the immediate greater Los Angeles area, and even by 82/83, a good portion of the contestants were from all over the country. If a person from Milwaukee wins season tickets for LA sports teams, you’re essentially guaranteeing that they’re going to forfeit the prize, unless they had a suitable alternative for those people.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #558 on: December 14, 2020, 10:32:44 AM »
What confuses me about the season tickets prizes is that they’re only of value to people who live in the immediate greater Los Angeles area, and even by 82/83, a good portion of the contestants were from all over the country. If a person from Milwaukee wins season tickets for LA sports teams, you’re essentially guaranteeing that they’re going to forfeit the prize, unless they had a suitable alternative for those people.

I never had thought about it before till recently, but it's a valid point. Bob had actually asked a contestant on one of the Race Game playings that aired w/these as the prizes recently where she lived after the fact, to see if she'd be able to make good use of them (she won 2 of the 4). She did live relatively close to LA area, so was no issue for her, but that was the first time I really had noticed this potential problem.

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #559 on: December 14, 2020, 10:35:28 AM »
Does anyone have any idea when episode # 4734D (aired Dec. 30, 1982) will air again?  It aired this past Saturday morning on Pluto, and I'm hoping they air it again this week.

In that episode:  The contestant who played Money Game (Linda) said she'd give the car to her son if she won it.  She did, and she did.  It was one of the most heartwarming things I've ever seen on the show, and want to see it again.

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #560 on: December 14, 2020, 10:47:48 AM »
I have heard it said that the show gave the equivalent money value of the tickets rather that the actual tickets. I don’t know the source of that info.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #561 on: December 14, 2020, 11:06:40 AM »
Does anyone have any idea when episode # 4734D (aired Dec. 30, 1982) will air again?  It aired this past Saturday morning on Pluto, and I'm hoping they air it again this week.

In that episode:  The contestant who played Money Game (Linda) said she'd give the car to her son if she won it.  She did, and she did.  It was one of the most heartwarming things I've ever seen on the show, and want to see it again.

Sometime tomorrow I think.  I don't have the tentative schedule (or a tentative schedule) in front of me now, but when I get a chance I'll post the exact time (if no one does so before then).  However, I'm paying close attention to the main pages & timeline for the Pluto TV Barker Era Site; things are subject to change.  For example, the awesome news that we might get another run of episodes sooner rather than later.

As for the tickets for sporting events.  I used to like them as well, but I too could leave it.  It would have been an awful idea if they continued with that (which would've been impossible by 1995 anyway).  I think they used it for Take Two once upon a time, but that might've been a dream (or nightmare)

Edited to add a link to a guide (courtesy of JediJones in addition to scorpz & GSC) for what episodes aired when and when to expect certain episodes to air again.  It doesn't list future airings, but if you use a spreadsheet or something else, it's rather easy to figure out, barring any changes as it relates to the next 100 episodes coming soon
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 11:15:27 AM by SeaBreeze341 »
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #562 on: December 14, 2020, 11:25:33 AM »
Hardest of all, they have used season tickets in Danger Price.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #563 on: December 14, 2020, 11:44:24 AM »

Wasn't it that in the Drew Carey era if they offered season tickets to a professional sports franchise it was to the team of your choice, so as to serve contestants who might not live in the Los Angeles area (or even be fans of Los Angeles teams).

Kind of like Classic Concentration, where the prize was "Season Tickets To Your Favorite Team" ... while that might imply that the tickets were to be for a professional team, it could mean college or even high school. No one team was specified.

Brian

Offline SuperMatch93

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #564 on: December 14, 2020, 01:01:06 PM »
I think they used it for Take Two once upon a time, but that might've been a dream (or nightmare)

They did indeed, and it aired the other day. Not surprisingly, it was lost.

Offline JediJones

• In the Audience
« Reply #565 on: December 14, 2020, 02:36:17 PM »
Nice thinking, but no. Not only have I seen "Oriental" furniture on Sale of the Century on Buzzr several times, but there was definitely an "Oriental" desk that popped up several times (actually one should have popped up again literally an hour or two ago), and if you want to watch again, at around 12:50 AM tomorrow, 12/15, the second Showcase of 4655D will have an Oriental rug.

Censoring the word "oriental" is something I believe Buzzr has started doing in the last two or so years. If the episode was digitized earlier than that, it will still air uncensored. They haven't gone back to recheck episodes they've transferred in the past. I have seen Password episodes where the word "oriental" is silenced out. Like I said before, these rules are not applied consistently at all. Even on newly digitized episodes, the word may be censored in some episodes and make it through in others. It may simply depend on how well the person transferring the episode is paying attention. Anyway, this is the perpetual mystery of Buzzr. No one is ever really sure why certain episodes are skipped. But "oriental" is definitely something they are sometimes singling out as needing to be edited out.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #566 on: December 14, 2020, 02:38:25 PM »
No one is ever really sure why certain episodes are skipped.
Then why are you getting into pointless speculation?

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #567 on: December 14, 2020, 03:16:01 PM »
Censoring the word "oriental" is something I believe Buzzr has started doing in the last two or so years.

I’m not away of Buzzr ever pulling episodes because certain prizes are described as “Oriental”. The only show I am aware of that Buzzr commonly pulls episodes from out of Rotation is Match Game episodes where Gene and the gang knocked back a few too many stiff drinks and started making some not so kind jokes about gay people and the handicapped.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #568 on: December 14, 2020, 03:41:40 PM »
Wasn't it that in the Drew Carey era if they offered season tickets to a professional sports franchise it was to the team of your choice, so as to serve contestants who might not live in the Los Angeles area (or even be fans of Los Angeles teams).

Kind of like Classic Concentration, where the prize was "Season Tickets To Your Favorite Team" ... while that might imply that the tickets were to be for a professional team, it could mean college or even high school. No one team was specified.

Brian

Perhaps they actually did something similar in these older shows, just without saying so?  Having a fixed team would be easier to have an actual price to use where it mattered in a game/showcase (since it's likely to vary among teams in any sport, some being more popular than others), but they could substitute another team if someone won and wasn't close enough to use that one (as they weren't actually buying the tickets in advance, just knowing what they would cost).

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #569 on: December 14, 2020, 03:57:47 PM »
They've probably aired the September 17th episode at least four times now and each time it's on I've missed the first half. Judging by Judith's big total at the end I'm guessing she won It's Optional but if she reacted in such a way to winning a truck I can imagine she'd be just as if not more excited over winning two cars. Also interesting that aside from November 23rd there's yet to be a DSW especially considering the season following already had at least three by that time.