Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 368173 times)

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #585 on: December 15, 2020, 11:41:16 AM »
To answer the question as to whether the season tickets for all four LA sports teams was ever won, YES.

They are all won playing Danger Price in this episode from 1977: 
Also, they were all won playing Race Game at least once on April 9, 1982.  Does anyone have video of this or another time they were won (if there were any)?

IIRC, there were multiple times where, when played in Race Game, one or two sets of season tickets were won, but not all four.

Brian

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #586 on: December 15, 2020, 04:31:27 PM »
Here's one I've been wondering now.  Was Season 12 when Barker stopped wearing three-piece suits, or did it happen sooner than that?  In the shows from the spring of '81 that have been going around he was still wearing them, but by fall of '82, they're gone.

I have heard it said that the show gave the equivalent money value of the tickets rather that the actual tickets. I don’t know the source of that info.

Roger indicated to me once that this is indeed what they did.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Archviler

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #587 on: December 15, 2020, 07:22:07 PM »
I'm late to the party I'm sure, but I just caught a few of those old episodes. It's amazing flashback, both in style and in cultural feel. There's so many little things that make it feel like a different age.

I'll have to catch more, especially as they press further into the 80s.

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
« Reply #588 on: December 15, 2020, 07:36:52 PM »
Hi!!  I saw a few minutes ago PlutoTV will show Christmas episodes on Christmas Day.  I'm looking forward to it.  I have one episode taped in 1986 on VHS from Game Show Network. 
Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #589 on: December 15, 2020, 07:39:52 PM »
Hi!!  I saw a few minutes ago PlutoTV will show Christmas episodes on Christmas Day.  I'm looking forward to it.  I have one episode taped in 1986 on VHS from Game Show Network.

Did they specify what ones they'd be running? It's not just the Christmas shows from Season 11 already aired is it?

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
« Reply #590 on: December 15, 2020, 07:46:06 PM »
No they didn't, not sure which seasons they'll show the episodes though. 
Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #591 on: December 15, 2020, 07:54:56 PM »
No they didn't, not sure which seasons they'll show the episodes though.

Ok, let's say it this way then, did they show footage of any episodes from after the classic padded Orange and Purple turntable was a permanent fixture, or any that saw Bob with Gray Hair? That'd be one way to tell if they were showing anything past this current season or not.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #592 on: December 15, 2020, 07:57:38 PM »
There was some discussion here earlier on about how they'll proceed with Christmas on Pluto.  It would be pretty neat if they ran the Christmas shows from 1982-1996 & 1998-2006.  Maybe they'll focus on 80s episodes but I wouldn't be surprised if they focused on Season 11 and reran it all day
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #593 on: December 15, 2020, 08:00:50 PM »
There was some discussion here earlier on about how they'll proceed with Christmas on Pluto.  It would be pretty neat if they ran the Christmas shows from 1982-1996 & 1998-2006.  Maybe they'll focus on 80s episodes but I wouldn't be surprised if they focused on Season 11 and reran it all day

I wouldn't either. I'm still surprised they ran them already, even in overnight hours, if they do just air those only. Woulda thought they'd wanna save them.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #594 on: December 15, 2020, 08:12:45 PM »
Sidenote, maybe this was asked before, but why were there no Christmas shows in 1997? Kinda peculiar.

Offline JediJones

• In the Audience
« Reply #595 on: December 15, 2020, 09:31:16 PM »
You have? Which ones?

I don't have the details on it. I didn't make a note of it. I believe it was a fairly recent "fresh" episode to Buzzr of Password Plus or Super Password and that "oriental" was given as a clue, possibly in the "speed round" section of the game. My antennae were already up over what words might be censored when I noticed the word blanked out. And from the context I believe I was able to deduce that it was likely the word "oriental." But, yes, this is all memory here so I can't guarantee I'm not mixing up either the word that was censored or the fact that it was censored.

For some clearer evidence that "oriental" is sometimes censored on Buzzr, see this exchange from the Game Show Paradise forums. I also saw the below mentioned episode of Split Second on Buzzr and remember seeing this occur:

https://gsparadise.proboards.com/thread/952/buzzrtv-discussion?page=250

Re: BuzzrTV discussion

Oct 19, 2019 at 2:21pm by traderrob on Oct 19, 2019 at 2:21pm
vahan
Oct 15, 2019 at 10:05am vahan said:
Anyone got the Game TV airing of today's episode of Split Second? Seems like Buzzr felt something was offensive and muted what Claudette said when asked which group of foreign students found it the toughest to learn English. She said "____ students or Arabic speakers".

I believe she said "oriental"
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 09:37:10 PM by JediJones »

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #596 on: December 15, 2020, 10:32:32 PM »
I think it genuinely irritated Barker when people didn't know how to price season tickets to sports events based on the numbers of home games each teams played.

I don't think casual fans, fans who might just go to a few games each year, would have any idea of how much a team's season tickets would go for.  To casual fans, the idea of buying season tickets and going to every game wouldn't enter their mind.  In that context, it's unreasonable to expect them to know how to figure out the price.

Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline name456

• In the Audience
« Reply #597 on: December 15, 2020, 10:38:10 PM »
Casual fans should know the Rams would be the cheapest, since they only play eight regular season home games. I can see the others being more difficult (the Dodgers play the most but baseball games are generally cheaper than basketball and hockey).

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #598 on: December 15, 2020, 10:42:11 PM »
Casual fans should know the Rams would be the cheapest, since they only play eight regular season home games.

Casual fans might not even register that away games are a thing, especially if they're in the middle of playing Race Game.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #599 on: December 16, 2020, 12:12:29 AM »
Ok, let's say it this way then, did they show footage of any episodes from after the classic padded Orange and Purple turntable was a permanent fixture, or any that saw Bob with Gray Hair? That'd be one way to tell if they were showing anything past this current season or not.

They just show that promo.  Looks like everything was from Season 11.  Nothing with Gray Hair Bob, which obviously means no shows after Season 15 right now.  I'm totally okay with that.  Way too soon for Barker-Era price post 1986-1987. 

I wouldn't be shocked if they were able to throw in something from Seasons 12 & 13, maybe even 15 (I expect that season before 14), but I'm not that optimistic.  I think they'd want to run those episodes at least once or twice along with the season in which those Christmas episodes took place before adding them in for a holiday marathon.  Moreover, I don't even know if they've been formatted/edited and if they're ready to be broadcast as of December 16, 2020
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck