Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 368727 times)

Offline jerseyfla

• Outside in Line
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #645 on: January 02, 2021, 10:30:31 PM »
I have been home for the last week with COVID and I have spent a good amount of my isolation watching TPIR on Pluto and I am loving it! I never realized the background didn’t change all at once in 1982. Hopefully they gradually add episodes. If not, hey it’s okay with me!

Offline saturn93

• In the Audience
« Reply #646 on: January 02, 2021, 11:42:24 PM »
I like the skits where the models actually get to talk! I never knew that was a thing.  :-D
That and the occasional chat with Bob after a quickie game (One Right Price, Most Expensive, etc.).  It definitely shows the personality of all three of them.  I know that in the last few years (especially that they started miking the models), it has come back in a different form, not so much the skit sense. 

I have seen some of the Pluto eps, (but there's a few I want to see, but could not get to it due to timing issues (work, sleep)), and started seeing a few Youtube eps from different years (just got done with a "Johnny the Fortune Teller" showcase from 1980).  Steve Gavazzi was right about not knowing what they were going to do with the Showcases, and just being fun to watch.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #647 on: January 03, 2021, 01:48:53 AM »
Bob reciting his childhood address on air

Was that what it was?

I had the channel on as background noise while I was surfing the web when I noticed he gave out what I thought was his home address, which from what I could piece together seemed to be in response to a contestant mentioning the area where he lived.  Even taking into account those being different times, it would be strange for a star of Barker's magnitude to just give out his address like that.

But as I said, I hadn't been paying complete attention when I heard what I thought I heard.  Giving out his childhood address seems more logical, although still strange ("I lived at 123 Golden Road, Priceville as a kid" as opposed to just "I lived in Priceville as a kid").
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #648 on: January 03, 2021, 03:32:56 AM »
I remember him disclosing his info as it related to his address.  As mentioned, those were different times.  The contestant in contestant's row happened to graduate from the same high school and college Bob graduated from, and she lived at least close to where Bob grew up.  But the same institution was what brought that up.

Yeah, I don't think you'd get away from doing that today (as in mentioning where you live).  Heck, I'm not a star and I don't answer the door or pick up the phone unless I'm expecting someone or I recognize who's calling!

Over the past couple of weeks, I've finally had some time to enjoy the channel. I echo all of the good things said about it -- the video quality is amazing, and I love that everything that can be left in is being left in. The only bad thing is that I'd estimate I've watched about one-fourth of the available episodes, but I'm already at the point where when I check out the channel, I frequently hit an episode I've already seen, which makes me leave.

The reason it keeps happening, I assume, is because when I do check out the channel, it's at about the same time in the morning on any given day. Because the channel is rotating through 100 episodes, at 24 episodes per day, that means the same episodes will keep airing in approximately the same time slots every time. If the channel eventually adds more episodes to the rotation, I hope it's in a quantity that's less close to being a multiple of 24.

Might be intentional, but I think it's coincidental that today (01/03/2021), the 38th anniversary of Plinko's premiere, started with the episode in which Plinko made its first appearance (Eastern Standard Time).  Fitting enough, the 01/03/1983 episode is the 77th episode out of the first 100 for Pluto.  Tomorrow is the first non-holiday weekday of 2021, so it is possible that the second set will start at Midnight EST on 01/04/2021.  Rather coincidental IMO.

Otherwise, they'll restart again first thing tomorrow.  If you add four days from the restart and then add four more hours, you could catch some of those eepisodes that you missed previously.  When they move forward with 4972 all the way to the Season 12 premiere, I don't know whether they'll start with 09/13/82 or with 02/08/83.

As optimistic as I am with the possibility of new episodes coming on January 4th, I won't be surprised at all if it doesn't happen quite yet
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #649 on: January 03, 2021, 03:18:40 PM »
I don't really know if this should go here or another thread, but since it was seen on the Pluto run, here goes.

It's Optional:  there is at least one playing, maybe a second, where the contestant got options (in the playing I saw it was 2 of 3) matched exactly right to the loaded car.  Is it safe to assume those were the options that made the more expensive car?
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #650 on: January 03, 2021, 06:55:17 PM »
I never realized the background didn’t change all at once in 1982.

That's the year I was born! Lol!  :-D

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #651 on: January 03, 2021, 07:05:09 PM »
Did some quick math and it appears that the cycle will end at midnight so it will be interesting to see if it resets yet again to September 1982 or if they continue on with the next cycle, but of course I could be off. (I'll be asleep then so I wont know) Unless it's skipped the 'drunk' episode will be the first of the new cycle.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #652 on: January 03, 2021, 10:45:45 PM »
I don't really know if this should go here or another thread, but since it was seen on the Pluto run, here goes.

It's Optional:  there is at least one playing, maybe a second, where the contestant got options (in the playing I saw it was 2 of 3) matched exactly right to the loaded car.  Is it safe to assume those were the options that made the more expensive car?

One of those playings just aired tonight at 10 PM Eastern. Bob said it was the second time that happened.

Does anyone else notice that the needle on the base car is one too far? When she won, the arrow was on the next tick. I thought she went over until the bells sounded.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #653 on: January 04, 2021, 12:02:54 AM »
And they have reset the cycle back to 9/13/82 once again.

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #654 on: January 05, 2021, 11:50:03 AM »
Is there information from Pluto TV as to how many times they will repeat the 100 episode cycle? I am loving this system!  It is a pleasure to see contestants from different diversities and personalities being called to "Come on Down." My favorite Price is Right years were 1975- 1985. After Johnny passed away, there was some mild tarnish, as this legend was irreplaceable!  Rod was very good, but more of a comical ham in later years. Johnny was like fine wine. He was so good when he started and just got better with time.

The 90's era was when the show started with more predictable trends with regard to who "Came on Down" Although it was subtle at first, the pattern was often:

1.) Little old lady on vacation
2.) Some contestant who had never seen the show in their lives, and you could tell their incompetence,
3.) Bob always over slowing down the name, "Kimberly" saying "Kimmm berrrr lee" and if you were a "Kimberly" you were more often than not picked.
4.) Than the lawsuits with the models,  and we found out that there were things about Bob in private, that weren't so great.

2000's were still good, but they started needing to do the time constraints and the show seemed to focus more about Bob than about the contestants.  Audiences got more hyper.  The 75-89 versions are in my view the best!

Joe

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #655 on: January 05, 2021, 12:23:27 PM »
I'm guessing the current cycle will last as long as it takes to get a new cycle ready to stream.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #656 on: January 05, 2021, 02:04:19 PM »
They’ve used clips in their promos from beyond what they’ve already aired. I don’t think the issue is related to digitization, I think it’s just them not really knowing how popular this was going to be and still trying to figure out their strategy.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #657 on: January 05, 2021, 02:24:06 PM »
Is there information from Pluto TV as to how many times they will repeat the 100 episode cycle? I am loving this system!  It is a pleasure to see contestants from different diversities and personalities being called to "Come on Down." My favorite Price is Right years were 1975- 1985. After Johnny passed away, there was some mild tarnish, as this legend was irreplaceable!  Rod was very good, but more of a comical ham in later years. Johnny was like fine wine. He was so good when he started and just got better with time.

You know about this, it's interesting to go back to the very early years of the show, I am talking like the half hour era and maybe a little past that, because you can see a distinct shift in how he introduces Bob then relative to what you are seeing on Pluto and beyond. It was very quick and to the point at first, whereas by 82 it was much more drawn out with a lot more oomph behind it, a style of announcing that would of course stick long after him, even up to the present day with George. The success of the show coulda had a bit to do with that, as far as Johnny knowing enough to really put more intention into it as it and Bob's stature grew, but it's an interesting thing to look back at/chart nonetheless.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 02:27:06 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline Derek McIntyre

• Outside in Line
« Reply #658 on: January 06, 2021, 10:58:16 PM »
Does Pluto TV put in new commercials in their TPIR reruns, just curious. I know the commercial breaks in the studio master copies of TPIR after 1975 were pretty much just blank spaces, although some studio masters of TPIR from 9/4/72 to 1975 do contain their original commercials, including the 9/4/72 studio master.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #659 on: January 06, 2021, 11:21:41 PM »
Does Pluto TV put in new commercials in their TPIR reruns, just curious. I know the commercial breaks in the studio master copies of TPIR after 1975 were pretty much just blank spaces, although some studio masters of TPIR from 9/4/72 to 1975 do contain their original commercials, including the 9/4/72 studio master.

Yes. It's treated pretty much like regular TV is.