Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 368800 times)

Offline JediJones

• In the Audience
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #735 on: February 03, 2021, 07:57:38 PM »
I found this mention on their official Twitter channel saying if they skip an episode, it's probably due to a low quality tape that does not meet "broadcast standards." I'm not sure if a streaming channel really needs to meet broadcast standards though.

?s=20

Bob Bobber
@borbobbery
·
Dec 9, 2020
Do you have any idea why episode 4633 was skipped?

The Price Is Right: The Barker Era
@TPIRBarker
·
Dec 9, 2020
Likely due to technical issues. If the quality once digitized does not meet current broadcast standards we won't be able to air it. That is likely why, we are trying to air everything in order.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #736 on: February 03, 2021, 08:32:59 PM »
Totally enjoying the new batch of episodes. Some of my favorite moments, cringe excluded:

-- An extremely tall contestant gets on stage. Bob learns he is a basketball player, and Bob gets the staff to search for a basketball. Bob continues to mention the basketball and suggests tricks he could do throughout his pricing game. By the time they finally find one, it's the showcase showdown. Bob gives him the ball and urges him to do a trick. The contestant bounces it off the floor once, turns around, and bounces it off-screen with his butt. Bob: "That wasn't a trick; it was an opinion."

-- New Card Game gets introduced, and for a paint job and a few slight rule changes, it's treated with a lot of fanfare. The game is covered with a cloth when it is introduced, and Holly whisks it away to reveal the new design. As she goes, she catches Bob's mic cord on her foot and pulls it out of his hand, which Bob naturally makes a big deal out of. To add to the indignity, the contestant very narrowly overbids on her truck.

-- A contestant who has memorized a list of prices on the show makes an exact bid on an oddly-priced fireplace in Contestant's Row. Bob chats with her for a while and is extremely warm and encouraging about her studying up on prices. She goes on to win Check Out, money on the wheel, and a showcase.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 08:37:52 PM by actual_retail_tice »

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #737 on: February 03, 2021, 08:40:03 PM »
Here’s a question that’s been dogging me and it was triggered by an episode aired on Pluto today:

That episide’s Golden Road playing was for a Chrysler LeVaron Mark Cross convertible, which was not won (due to the contestant losing on the second prize, a desk). On at least one other episode, I believe it was played for (also in Golden Road) and lost, also on the second prize, and it was offered (but not won) in a Showcase.

So ... does someone know whether the Chrysler LeBaron convertible was ever won in any episode it was played for but perhaps has yet to air. (For instance, maybe Hole In One.)

I just want to know how much it cost. I’m sure at least $15,000 (in 1983 dollars, natch).

Brian

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #738 on: February 03, 2021, 08:45:20 PM »
There were no skips in these 30 episodes. Four uncertain lineups and two non-car PGs for cars were confirmed for the calendar, including Hurdles and Pick a Pair playings swapping episodes.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #739 on: February 03, 2021, 09:17:59 PM »
Here’s a question that’s been dogging me and it was triggered by an episode aired on Pluto today:

That episide’s Golden Road playing was for a Chrysler LeVaron Mark Cross convertible, which was not won (due to the contestant losing on the second prize, a desk). On at least one other episode, I believe it was played for (also in Golden Road) and lost, also on the second prize, and it was offered (but not won) in a Showcase.

So ... does someone know whether the Chrysler LeBaron convertible was ever won in any episode it was played for but perhaps has yet to air. (For instance, maybe Hole In One.)

I just want to know how much it cost. I’m sure at least $15,000 (in 1983 dollars, natch).

Not sure; it could have surfaced again in another Golden Road playing but not until Season 12.  In addition to that, it may have been won within a showcase, and within an episode that isn't easily available online.  I probably would have to search for the price somewhere, but maybe we'll find out through future episodes at some point this year.  Just a total guess, but it may have been offered (and won) in 3 Strikes+ down the road. 

Another big highlight for me that was part of these last 30 episodes includes a woman who "crushed" the Grocery Game.  Her selection of Trident resulted in a super-perfect playing of the game.  28 of that product would have been a nice choice as well.  This was after being made fun of for being in contestant's row throughout.  I made a comment that she might have been bluffing Bob as much as the Clock Game winner did a couple segments prior.

That was a very nice Valentine's Day episode, complete with a hilarious showcase.  Speaking of which, it was the first of six episodes where the showcase podiums were reversed (similar to what they did throughout Season 20).  Not sure why that happened; it probably was just a mistake
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #740 on: February 03, 2021, 11:03:20 PM »
 Now that we’ve looped back to the start of season 11 after I spent the last two days watching the 30 additional eps, it’s becoming apparent to me Bob aged considerably over the course of S11. I know that we’re less than a year past Dorothy Jo’s passing at the start of 11. I wonder if that had a large impact.

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #741 on: February 03, 2021, 11:10:39 PM »
Now that we’ve looped back to the start of season 11 after I spent the last two days watching the 30 additional eps, it’s becoming apparent to me Bob aged considerably over the course of S11. I know that we’re less than a year past Dorothy Jo’s passing at the start of 11. I wonder if that had a large impact.
Probably the largest impact, out of all the pre-90s events that happened with the show and those connected to it.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #742 on: February 08, 2021, 01:39:25 PM »
Episode #4823 is great all around, but during the showcases things get absolutely heart-warming. The nervous and excited top winner, a women in her 30s or 40s, keeps herself calm by holding hands with the runner-up, a male college high-jumper. (The camera gets a close-up of this as one of the showcases is in progress) When deciding whether to bid or pass on Showcase 1, she asks the runner-up, "Do you want it?". The runner-up ultimately wins, and he and the top-winner hug each other and then they both hug Bob.
Almost lost in all this is a rare celebrity cameo, the mute clown Emmett Kelly, helping to present a circus showcase.

(Edit: Out of curiosity, I checked Wikipedia, and Emmett Kelly was in fact already dead by the time this episode taped. The man appearing in the showcase may have been his son, who also played Emmett Kelly's clown character, although apparently without his father's blessing, causing the two to become estranged.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 01:44:37 PM by actual_retail_tice »

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #743 on: February 08, 2021, 06:44:51 PM »
Why is Pluto inserting commercial breaks at random? They didn't do this with the first 100 episodes.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #744 on: February 08, 2021, 08:22:10 PM »
It's not supposed to be. Pluto's pretty glitchy on some devices, though. It's a pain on Xfinity boxes. What's probably happening is that the feed is lagging on your device and the segment isn't finished by the time ads are cued to appear.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #745 on: February 08, 2021, 10:06:19 PM »
New episodes at 2AM EST TODAY!

Welcome to TPIR: Barker Era, where we test if you REALLY want to watch all of the episodes first-rerun!
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline saturn93

• In the Audience
« Reply #746 on: February 08, 2021, 11:08:35 PM »
Why is Pluto inserting commercial breaks at random? They didn't do this with the first 100 episodes.
They had a commercial break right in the middle of Penny Ante in the 5:00 PM Central time episode today.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #747 on: February 08, 2021, 11:41:12 PM »
The commercial break that occurred in the middle of the showcases from the Valentine's Day episode, which re-aired at Midnight Eastern, occurred in the same exact spot when that episode first aired on Pluto last week.  I think happened to everyone
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #748 on: February 09, 2021, 12:53:01 AM »
They're skipping an 4853D, so if you want to watch Master Key debut, it's now at 4AM instead of 5AM.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #749 on: February 09, 2021, 02:05:58 AM »
Shame since that episode is shaded in gray on the pricing game calendar. Is that one unconfirmed because GSN never aired it, either?