Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 368804 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1095 on: September 12, 2021, 09:07:08 PM »
Yeah, I always wonder if certain batches of classic episodes of TPIR are leased for a limited time, and then dropped from the Pluto TV channel?

I hope they don't drop the first batch of Pluto TV episodes before the year is out, because I really would like to record choice episodes in future cycles, particularly episodes with retired pricing games, incredible wins, and other noteworthy moments.

My thinking was/is that eventually they'd do what GSN did years ago, and have different episodes air different days (like say 82-83 Mondays, 83-84 Tuesdays, etc). But suppose we will see.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1096 on: September 13, 2021, 10:07:19 AM »
We'll see maybe in December when the first batch of episodes hits a year, which could be when Pluto eps. #401-#500 are dropped.

A few observations regarding set changes/updates from the marathon:

*The updated light border with the orange/red lights was present on 5374D, but 5353D still had the all-white border. The borders of Contestants' Row were still green as well on the former episode, the opening titles were in orange, and the Showcase podiums that were revised at the end of 1982 were still present.
*Also on 5353D, Card Game was still billed as "New", while Most Expensive was still using its second set. It also happened to be played for three trips, two of which were also featured in the same playing of Barker's Bargain Bar (5374D IIRC).
*The Tugboat was known to have made its first appearance by 5332D.
*5411D was taped out of order compared to Season 13's premiere week, where the original Clam was still in use.

Overall, while the predictable big money wins were nice, the real surprised was the all-time winnings record set on 5322D, with an outro set to an instrumental portion of Christopher Cross "Ride Like The Wind". There was also a Super Ball! playing were a contestant got all four balls she threw into the Win circle, and could have gone for perfection had she correctly guessed the SP for Ball #2. There was also a $6,000 SCSD winner in one episode that Plinko was played (part of a Bonus Spinoff), and wins on Temptation/Master Key as well. Finally, 5374D had an unusual moment during the intro were the first two contestants came up on stage instead of Contestants' Row.

We'll see later this week how the episodes from the marathon will be shuffled into the cycle, and perhaps Friday/Saturday we could fill in those gaps with new-to-Pluto stuff.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 10:11:41 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline SuperMatch93

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #1097 on: September 13, 2021, 11:00:09 AM »
the real surprised was the all-time winnings record set on 5322D

How much did the contestant win? I've always wondered what the record would have been at this time, hopefully the channel or someone else uploads a clip of the winning moment.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1098 on: September 13, 2021, 01:06:25 PM »
Some of the other observations that I have seen in the marathon:

*Lorri Lampell is now part of the staff and would take over Gina's job albeit she would sit on the production table side of the audience on the aisle seat, there was an episode (5322D) where Gina and Lorri were both in the front row and Lorri had her nametag on. However the full credit roll on 5322D still does not have her name listed as of yet let alone new job titles for other people, so we'll see once new episodes come on Friday/Saturday if and when she is added to the credit roll. Also Gina's name is still credited as Gina M. Edwards, at some point her name in the full credit roll will change to Gina Edwards Cook (which may have happened in the marathon but the episodes that were after 5322D had the short credit roll).

*Losing horns are now using one version instead of three different versions by May 1984, once new episodes come we'll know exactly when they changed from three versions to just one version.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1099 on: September 13, 2021, 01:17:48 PM »
Some of the other observations that I have seen in the marathon:

*Lorri Lampell is now part of the staff and would take over Gina's job albeit she would sit on the production table side of the audience on the aisle seat, there was an episode (5322D) where Gina and Lorri were both in the front row and Lorri had her nametag on. However the full credit roll on 5322D still does not have her name listed as of yet let alone new job titles for other people, so we'll see once new episodes come on Friday/Saturday if and when she is added to the credit roll. Also Gina's name is still credited as Gina M. Edwards, at some point her name in the full credit roll will change to Gina Edwards Cook (which may have happened in the marathon but the episodes that were after 5322D had the short credit roll).

*Losing horns are now using one version instead of three different versions by May 1984, once new episodes come we'll know exactly when they changed from three versions to just one version.

They used 3 different versions? I never knew that...was it based on how painful the loss was? What woulda been the difference between them all?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1100 on: September 13, 2021, 01:49:02 PM »
How much did the contestant win? I've always wondered what the record would have been at this time, hopefully the channel or someone else uploads a clip of the winning moment.

The contestant won over $39,000.  Pretty much close to $40K.  Bob did make the typical reference (around the end of SCSD #1) of him becoming one of the biggest winners of all time (through the first 12 years).  However, Bob did confirm that he was the biggest winner at that point upon winning the showcase
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1101 on: September 13, 2021, 02:58:54 PM »
The contestant won over $39,000.  Pretty much close to $40K.  Bob did make the typical reference (around the end of SCSD #1) of him becoming one of the biggest winners of all time (through the first 12 years).  However, Bob did confirm that he was the biggest winner at that point upon winning the showcase

Any idea what the record mighta been before this? Might be tough to nail down for a few different reasons, but curious.

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #1102 on: September 13, 2021, 03:11:41 PM »
*5411D was taped out of order compared to Season 13's premiere week

Pretty sure it wasn't, actually.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline tpcrotty2

• Outside in Line
« Reply #1103 on: September 14, 2021, 07:36:39 AM »
So what game did the top winner is 5322D play?  Looks like that episode is from May 8, 1984.  I caught the very end of it on Pluto and was pretty shocked.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1104 on: September 14, 2021, 07:48:14 AM »
So what game did the top winner is 5322D play?  Looks like that episode is from May 8, 1984.  I caught the very end of it on Pluto and was pretty shocked.

Golden Road.  And that definitely was the 05/08/1984 episode
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1105 on: September 14, 2021, 10:33:15 AM »
They used 3 different versions? I never knew that...was it based on how painful the loss was? What woulda been the difference between them all?

It wasn't how painful the loss was, but the difference between the three versions is basically the groan on the last note at the end.

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #1106 on: September 14, 2021, 12:11:45 PM »
I think all 3 versions were on one tape cartridge with cue tones on the tape after each one to stop the tape at the next cut of music. If you watch enough of the early years of the show, you never hear the same version twice in a row.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1107 on: September 14, 2021, 12:35:00 PM »
I think all 3 versions were on one tape cartridge with cue tones on the tape after each one to stop the tape at the next cut of music. If you watch enough of the early years of the show, you never hear the same version twice in a row.

Interesting. I wonder why they had 3 different versions for. That's kinda strange.

Offline jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #1108 on: September 15, 2021, 12:08:07 AM »

Something nutty about the above vid:
.....not only is this the first time someone won the full Phone Home Game jackpot of $15,000 - it just so happened to air three days after Michael Larsen struck gold.

Offline C8

« Reply #1109 on: September 15, 2021, 01:33:24 AM »
Getting to watch the Holly hiatus episodes for the first go around. I’ve been surprised by how…underwhelming…the replacement models were. I also have found it curious that they went to great lengths to have many of them look like Holly, including the use of some highly suspect and very crunchy wigs.