Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 369069 times)

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1215 on: January 22, 2022, 12:29:19 AM »
No. That’s not how the winnings cap worked in the 80s either; IIRC, before 1984, you had to retire that show if you won $25,000 (which mattered for shows like Press Your Luck with returning champions, but not really Price), but you could keep up to $35,000. In the case that a contestant somehow blew past that, then he would either have to forfeit or donate some of his winnings to charity.

About the “$35,000” part: didn’t CBS pay Michael Larson every dime of the $110,237 he won in 1984? Not to mention that there were several others before him who broke the $35,000 barrier on the show, and I explicitly remember Tomarken stating that those champions were retired, but they got to keep everything they won.

On November 1, 1984, the “soft” limit was doubled to $50,000 and there was definitely a “hard” limit of $75,000.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1216 on: January 28, 2022, 08:23:30 PM »
Confirmed: we're moving into October 1984. (Disregard the "November to December" bit, that's a typo.) Sunday 1/30 @ 8pm.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #1217 on: January 28, 2022, 09:14:20 PM »
That person who's expecting to see Rod Roddy in this batch is going to be very disappointed.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline plinkowin2010

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1218 on: January 30, 2022, 01:23:15 PM »
During season 13 episode #5410, Does contestant Timothy looks like the actor who played Tommy Hyatt on the series Alice?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1219 on: January 30, 2022, 07:13:06 PM »
That guy hoping for Rod Roddy episodes might want to check back in 2023.  Might be a minute!

Confirmed: we're moving into October 1984. (Disregard the "November to December" bit, that's a typo.) Sunday 1/30 @ 8pm.

Meanwhile, they kept replying to people wondering why they're skipping October 1984.  At least they responded, but the owner of the account has the ability to delete the original tweet & replace it with an update one.

Looks like they're going to split these next 100 in half.  So if nothing is skipped they'll likely get to the show revealing the 1984 HVS winner.  Overall, I think we're getting content all the way to March 1985.  FWIW, I think there may be two upcoming episodes that are being saved for some marathon they might have later on next month
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Bee17

• Outside in Line
« Reply #1220 on: January 30, 2022, 11:07:12 PM »
I've noticed that in most of these episodes, they used a robot that looked a bit like Johnny. How long did they have that robot for?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1221 on: January 31, 2022, 08:09:56 AM »
I've noticed that in most of these episodes, they used a robot that looked a bit like Johnny. How long did they have that robot for?

Off the top of my head, I know it showed up at least once in Season 15, but I can't recall seeing it for sure in early episodes with gray-haired Bob.  There were a lot of things that were very common in the early-mid 80s that made a rare appearance later in the decade (i.e. eye-spy graphic used during the IIRC albeit a square not a circle & showcase themes like time capsule & elevator).

I imagine they might have kept it around throughout Season 15; as there are a lot of unknown stuff, in time we'll know how often, it showed up.  Just my guess (maybe someone else can confirm), but it definitely showed up when Rod was announcing
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1222 on: January 31, 2022, 03:11:16 PM »
I used to think the robot was intended to look like Johnny, but looking back on it, I doubt that now. They didn´t retire it when Johnny died, so I guess the likeness was coincidental.

Somewhere on YouTube there is a Department Store showcase where the robot substitutes for Dian as the elevator operator, and I think it´s one of the last appearances of both the Department Store showcase and the robot.

Once again speculating, but I would guess they did away with the robot because it was difficult to repair/prone to breaking, and he looked dated almost right away.

Offline pricefan1991

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1223 on: January 31, 2022, 03:40:18 PM »
Thanks to Bob plugging it before IUFB #5 on 5471D, we now know that the Home Viewer Showcase theme for S13 (aired on week 548xD) was "A Dream Christmas"

Offline pricefan1991

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1224 on: January 31, 2022, 08:33:25 PM »
Thanks to Bob plugging it before IUFB #5 on 5471D, we now know that the Home Viewer Showcase theme for S13 (aired on week 548xD) was "A Dream Christmas"
Now that HVS week is airing, it looks like it might actually just be "Dream Christmas" based on the intro graphic to it

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #1225 on: January 31, 2022, 09:03:52 PM »
Somewhere on YouTube there is a Department Store showcase where the robot substitutes for Dian as the elevator operator, and I think it´s one of the last appearances of both the Department Store showcase and the robot.

I don't know how often the show did it, but I've now seen the robot run the elevator in two different episodes on Pluto. I would have been charmed by its presence, but both times, it was accompanied by music that I assume was supposed to sound technological, but was more fitting for a horror movie. (shudders)
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #1226 on: January 31, 2022, 09:27:02 PM »
I don't know how often the show did it, but I've now seen the robot run the elevator in two different episodes on Pluto. I would have been charmed by its presence, but both times, it was accompanied by music that I assume was supposed to sound technological, but was more fitting for a horror movie. (shudders)

The way Johnny read in the Robot's voice was a bit creepy, too.

New idea: the robot model and Professor Price team up in the new fan-made indie horror game, "Five Nights at The Price Is Right."
1,667 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1227 on: January 31, 2022, 09:52:27 PM »
The way Johnny read in the Robot's voice was a bit creepy, too.
Not to mention the strange non-sequiturs before each floor...

"coal mines, neon signs"
"jumping beans, Shakespearean scenes, men of means"
"piggy banks, Sherman tanks, French francs"

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #1228 on: February 01, 2022, 07:04:25 AM »
To those of you who missed out, the last episode's ending was definitely one I'm glad I didn't miss.

Back to microphone elbow now.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1229 on: February 01, 2022, 07:39:14 AM »
With 5513D (December 5, 1984) being the last in this 35-episode loop, it looks like a 35-35-30 is likely to be the launch pattern like the previous batch, with a marathon thrown in accounting for some skips within Pluto's episode count as well. I still managed to record eight episodes Sunday night while I slept along with watching two more Sunday evening, six more Monday morning before my Internet provider had an outage, as well as three yesterday evening for the Home Viewer Showcase. You can really feel the energy gradually building up as the years drag on.

The "Dream Christmas" HVS also provides the origins of Grand Game's "Ten Thousand" zoom-in graphic, except the text appears in blue instead of the orangish red. Based on the episodes of the Kennedy version that circulate, that extra graphic was introduced probably in October 1985 right after a taping break. Post-taping break episodes are often among the most interesting to watch since they have a tendency to introduce more new prizes than at any point in the year in the immediate several weeks afterwards, which included a Showcase themed all around new prizes (5454D, which had been circulating for many years). Speaking of which, the 10/15/85 episode (5441D) was the first to be produced following a summer taping break, and Bob acknowledges the fact twice in the episode during the opening and also during the Beauties chat after One Right Price. It introduced the "vane" Big Wheel scoreboard that's still used to this day (although the gold portions were later painted silver), as well as the new whistle for the Train, the yellow Super Ball!-styled Clam, and a freshened Turntable carpet that would only get even fresher by the HVS week. The following episode (5442D) confirmed the first appearance of the "Neon Circus"-styled Most Expensive set, although it wasn't acknowledged as we know. Blank Check's "No. 4620" changed to a larger, bolder font by its playing on 5483D as well. The original Giant Price Tag design was still known to be in use by this point. Also, 5455D's Dice Game was actually Deluxe Dice Game. Of all the episodes run, only the One Away premiere episode is known to be a fully skipped episode, perhaps due to unorthodox reasons. Fortunately, it circulates from its original broadcast.

With the Olympics starting Thursday, it wouldn't be surprising to see a break in the current loop like back in September to show the next special marathon.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 07:47:15 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/