Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 369195 times)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1335 on: October 28, 2022, 12:50:04 AM »
5652D was bizarre. A 5 year old was in the audience and Bob gave him a lot of attention and even some prizes (Make a Wish?!)...
Someone on Facebook asked Roger about that, and his reply was "It might have been a Make a Wish child...I do not remember the specific show."

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #1336 on: October 28, 2022, 08:07:15 PM »
I don't know if anyone noticed but on this new episode Bob just introduced the case of TPiR Italy. The model he introduced, Andi Rapangna (sp?) (who he said was from Burbank working in Italy) was very clearly the same Andi who filled in for Holly while she was away.

That solves one mystery.

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #1337 on: October 28, 2022, 10:22:31 PM »
I was just watching PIR on Pluto and it in the description it says season 1 but Bob said that we have been on the air for 13 years.

Also they played the game Pick A Pair and they had it as the Ferris wheel.. When did they rid of the Ferris wheel to the current lay out?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1338 on: October 28, 2022, 10:25:02 PM »
The Ferris wheel set last appeared in 1988, and the current layout came into play in 1990.
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #1339 on: October 28, 2022, 10:29:08 PM »
The Ferris wheel set last appeared in 1988, and the current layout came into play in 1990.

I much prefer the Ferris Wheel version of that pricing game.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1340 on: October 28, 2022, 10:34:54 PM »

Same here.  Well, I'll say I admired the original more (while I respect the current one since it's quick & to the point)

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #1341 on: October 28, 2022, 10:35:34 PM »
I was just watching PIR on Pluto and it in the description it says season 1 but Bob said that we have been on the air for 13 years.

If this has been asked and answer before forgive me...    How come it does not say Season 13 episode 43 or what ever in the description?

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #1342 on: October 28, 2022, 10:36:55 PM »

I also prefer the Ferris Wheel :)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1343 on: October 30, 2022, 03:25:52 PM »
FYI: At 3:00 PM Eastern (on 10/30/2022), Pluto did not reset to 4581D (A.K.A. Microphone Elbow).  Instead they went back to 4682D (the Tuesday episode before the Thanksgiving Break).

Looks like they're dropping the first 50 as speculated on Discord, which should accommodate the 50 that they're adding.  Rather fitting to keep the rotation at 500 episodes

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1344 on: November 02, 2022, 06:13:32 PM »
5672D yesterday had some notables:

-The car portion of 10C was particularly awful. He kept repeating the 8 multiple times, and actually wasted guesses on repeat wrong answers twice. Just couldn't keep track of anything.
-SC2's ARP was $34,858. Bob took time out of the reveal to say this was a record high as of this point on the show, and even asked the producer's table a quick breakdown. The sportscar was 18k, but somehow designer jewelry (I was not paying attention to it at the time) was 16k. What is this, the Mike era!?!
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #1345 on: November 03, 2022, 08:44:02 PM »
5665D (3/29/1985) has the first show with new black microphones (Audio Technica AT859) for Contestant's Row.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1346 on: November 04, 2022, 12:36:58 AM »
Thanks to 9821's observation on the exact ARP of SC2, I figured out what happened at the end of 5683D, and it reveals how the SC podiums internally do math, apparently:

ARP of a SC was 15xxx with a bid of 10000, but the display said OVER then "96096" for awhile.
ARP of the other SC was 6096.

Someone mixed up the ARPs when punching in the info for the displays. If you consider that the displays at this time were tailored to only handle up to 5 digit, unsigned math, when calculating 6096 - 10000:
-At 6096 - 6097, the display "underflows" to its highest value, 99999
-(6096 - 6098) = 99998...
-... and so on until (6096 - 10000) = 96096.

I would have thought the producers were manually calculating the non-OVER differences and punching those numbers in, but apparently the podiums can actually do subtraction arithmetic in the 0-99999 range, after all. There must be a simple switch for putting on the OVER display instead of a number, too.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 12:43:39 AM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #1347 on: November 04, 2022, 10:44:49 PM »
Sorry for the less-than-sharp picture, but here's the console that was in use until the Showcase displays became monitors. (It was also used for some of the displays in assorted other pricing games.) I don't know how old it was, but it looks like it could date back to 1985.

As you can see, there is indeed a dedicated "OVER" button for each display. And a "DISP DIFF" button that works like a charm when the correct showcase price is assigned to the correct display.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1348 on: November 05, 2022, 03:55:57 PM »
A couple of notes for the past episodes to air:

5864D features the second known $15,000 outcome in The Phone Home Game, which brings the total to 4, I believe.  Safe Crackers was played for a car, and the win helped produce a perfect first half.

5865D also had a NFCF in the first act with Range Game.  Looked like the contestant played the game in anticipation that the setup was going to be more difficult.  It didn't matter when she lost, albeit rather barely.  The lineup was Range Game, Most Expensive, Plinko, Race Game, Bullseye, and Temptation.

I have to check, but it was a rather pleasant surprise to see Temptation in the sixth slot.  Typically it would've been 1st, and if not 5th. 

Prior the episodes, there was some discussion related to the end of the one-car cash games era.  IMO, those have been going away whenever they played Grand Game & Punch A Bunch, and then eventually The Phone Home Game.  I hadn't seen many Plinko episodes features 2 car games or 2 games played for cars.  While Safe Crackers for a car was a pleasant surprise knowing The Phone Home Game was also within that first segment, I was just simply surpried to see NCFC Range Game and Plinko together.  Not shocked or unprecedented, but just something that was more rare than common around that time

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #1349 on: November 05, 2022, 04:53:34 PM »
Of note also is that the car games have been really easy in the past couple of episodes -- I think the show might be under budget. It's possible that the lineups could have originally been planned out with the cash game offering the only big-ticket prize in the half. Then, when the producers discovered they had the budget for it, they swapped out the Safe Crackers and Range Game prizes for cars. I'm not saying that's definitely what happened -- just a possibility.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.